Thread: Suez Canal ship crisis may unleash worldwide toilet paper shortage

Thanks
    Thanked 6,450 Times in 4,272 Posts

Suez Canal ship crisis may unleash worldwide toilet paper shortage

https://nypost.com/2021/03/26/suez-c...aper-shortage/

Suez Canal ship crisis may unleash worldwide toilet paper shortage

The massive ship blocking the Suez Canal may prove to be a titanic pain in the butt — by reportedly unleashing a toilet paper shortage not seen since the early days of the coronavirus pandemic.

The owner of the Ever Given, the 200,000-ton behemoth that ran aground this week when high winds turned it sideways, has apologized for the mega-blockage, which is causing a global trade crisis.

But the proverbial s–t could really hit the fan if it triggers another TP crisis, as a flotilla of cargo ships remain stuck behind the huge vessel.

Walter Schalka, CEO of the Brazilian wood pulp company Suzano SA, told Bloomberg News that the firm was struggling to transport the raw material for toilet paper amid the delays.

The Suez bottleneck comes amid existing shipping container shortages sparked by increasing demand in China and a reduction in supplies, the Express reported.

Schalka is worried that the shipping woes are going to worsen — causing major disruptions to the pulp trade that could impact supplies of toilet paper if producers don’t have sufficient inventories, according to Bloomberg.

The Sao Paulo-based Suzano accounts for about a third of global supplies of hardwood pulp.
    About 50 ships usually pass through the Suez Canal every day, but they have been blocked since the Taiwanese-registered Ever Given ran aground.

Lars Jensen, a container shipping expert in Denmark, told the UK’s Mirror the shipment of everyday household items will be affected, including toilet rolls.

“Basically anything you see in the stores,” he said.

Jensen said the blocked ship is another blow to the global shipping system already broken by the pandemic disruption.

“This takes capacity out of a system that is already starving for capacity,” he said, the Sun reported.

Peter Berdowski, CEO of Dutch company Boskalis, which is trying to dislodge the gargantuan vessel, said it was too early to say how long it might take.

Its bow and stern had been lifted up against either side of the canal, he said, according to the Sun.

“We can’t exclude it might take weeks, depending on the situation,” Berdowski told Dutch TV. “It is like an enormous beached whale. It’s an enormous weight on the sand.”
    “We can’t exclude it might take weeks, depending on the situation,” Berdowski told Dutch TV. “It is like an enormous beached whale. It’s an enormous weight on the sand.”

He added: “We might have to work with a combination of reducing the weight by removing containers, oil and water from the ship, tug boats and dredging of sand.”
    Jackie did it and you know it!

Thanks

Re: Suez Canal ship crisis may unleash worldwide toilet paper shortage

Animals stranded on 20 livestock ships caught in Suez canal jam

https://nypost.com/2021/03/26/animal...uez-canal-jam/

Thanks
    Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,640 Posts

Lawyers are still fighting over Ponce's estate, it's primary asset being a massive stockpile of toilet paper. These events could cause the estate to skyrocket in value.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. -Benjamin Franklin
    Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite. -Charles Spurgeon

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mamboni For This Useful Post:

PatColo (28th March 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mamboni View Post
    Lawyers are still fighting over Ponce's estate, it's primary asset being a massive stockpile of toilet paper. These events could cause the estate to skyrocket in value.
    So relevant I commend you on your intuitiveness. Without that non relevent post we may have all been lost. Thank you deep dental commander of a prison situation. We will remember this forever.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cebu_4_2 For This Useful Post:

mamboni (28th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,956 Times in 4,576 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cebu_4_2 View Post
    Animals stranded on 20 livestock ships caught in Suez canal jam

https://nypost.com/2021/03/26/animal...uez-canal-jam/
    I bet illegal immigrants are in containers on some of these ships. They are probably dying, or dead already.
    DON'T TAKE THE VACCINE!

THE SHIT HAS HIT THE FAN!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to EE_ For This Useful Post:

Cebu_4_2 (30th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,640 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cebu_4_2 View Post
    Thank you deep dental commander of a prison situation.
    What does this mean? Are you a bot? Seriously, what the heck are you saying?
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. -Benjamin Franklin
    Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite. -Charles Spurgeon

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,815 Times in 2,260 Posts

The thought of another toilet paper shortage really rubs me raw! I damn near shit my pants.

Seriously, I could not give a shit; I have a bidet.
    Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty." – Socrates

"Communism can be summed up in one sentence: The abolition of private property." ---Karl Marx

"Either you have the right to own property, or you are property." Wayne Hage

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EE_ View Post
    I bet illegal immigrants are in containers on some of these ships. They are probably dying, or dead already.
    I agree, they are probably prepped with enough food and water for the trip but when there are unexpected delays that may just turn the tide. Wheather intentional or an accident this shows how fragile the Suez situation is. Very narrow for what it's used for.

As I remember this is a reason they keep blowing cold air south and warm air to the arctic to melt some shyt up there via chem trails (that don't exist) to make new channels.

We had a beautiful warm clear dark blue sunny sky today, I noticed the spray planes in action. By 3pm we had maybe 75% sun through it, couldn't feel it on the skin. 5pm was a total loss of sunshine but the holographs of rainbows shown were nice through my windshild shading at the top.