Thread: food storage white buckets

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,511 Times in 2,602 Posts

food storage white buckets

Okay, I seriously don't know what I'm doing when it comes to storing all the dried food I panic bought last year. I watched a couple of prepper videos and those people seem to say you have to get white food grade storage buckets and put all the food in them. But where do you get those white buckets??

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,841 Times in 7,906 Posts

Re: food storage white buckets

They don't have to be white 'food grade' buckets, your first priority is getting some mylar bags and some O2 absorbers, THEN you place your sealed mylar bags in plastic pails which is suggested that those pails be 90 mil in thickness. You can seal mylar bags with a iron, there are jootube videos showing how. Simply placing your staples in food grade plastic pails will not preserve your food, you must use O2 absorbers and sealed mylar bags. In a pinch you can buy 5 gal. plastic pails and lids from Homo Depot or bLowe's.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to midnight rambler For This Useful Post:

Amanda (2nd June 2021),keehah (3rd June 2021)

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,815 Times in 2,260 Posts

Go to the cake and deli department at Walmart and ask the ladies for empty buckets. They always fix me up for $1 per bucket. Make sure to ask for lids with them. Get mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. Throw an oxy absorber in each bag on top of rice/grain/whatever and take a iron and seal the bag with hot iron against a small 1" board. They will shrivel up tight just like they were vacuum packed (which they are at this point) and throw a lid on them.
    Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty." – Socrates

"Communism can be summed up in one sentence: The abolition of private property." ---Karl Marx

"Either you have the right to own property, or you are property." Wayne Hage

5. The Following User Says Thank You to woodman For This Useful Post:

Amanda (2nd June 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts

As long as it's made of HDPE and/or says #2 on the bottom AND it's not red, it's food safe. Red coloring in plastics is toxic.
    LDPE #4 is also safe.
    PP #5 is safe as long as you don't heat it.

#2 > #4 > #5

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Shami-Amourae For This Useful Post:

Amanda (3rd June 2021)

Thanks

You can even vacuum seal your foods in vacuum seal bags.

If you can’t find 5 gallon buckets, you can use plastic totes . Those black ones with the yellow lid from Costco work well. Make sure you have the lid on tight.
    To control the opposition, one must start the opposition. Joseph Stalin
    My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me."
    My people have perished for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I reject you from being priest for Me. Since you have forgotten the Torah of your Elohim, I also forget your children.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ImaCannin For This Useful Post:

Amanda (3rd June 2021),Camp Bassfish (3rd June 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 921 Posts

Make sure you have something that goes bang, in order to defend your stash from "joggers".

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDRock For This Useful Post:

Amanda (6th June 2021),woodman (5th June 2021)