Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "Hoarding Nickels" Thread

Thanks

The "Hoarding Nickels" Thread

I've started to hoard nickels only at the hobby level lately. So, any hard core hoarders, thoughts, resources? Post 'em here.
    "We can guarantee cash benefits as far out and at whatever size you like, but we cannot guarantee their purchasing power." – Alan Greenspan

Copper
    Thanks

Re: The "Hoarding Nickels" Thread

I've separated them and copper pennies out of my change for the last two years.

I figure the metal content of the clad coins isn't worth the trouble.

Bluegill

I was hoarding .999 fine pre-82 Canadian nickels, but sold them off to buy Ag.

I see no benefit to hoarding CuNi nickels. Is it a Cu bullion coin that is .750 fine, or a Ni bullion coin that is .250 fine..?

One will never get the individual values of each metal or it's "theoretical" melt value. It is an alloy and will always be priced as such.

Zinc
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill
    I see no benefit to hoarding CuNi nickels. Is it a Cu bullion coin that is .750 fine, or a Ni bullion coin that is .250 fine..?

One will never get the individual values of each metal or it's "theoretical" melt value. It is an alloy and will always be priced as such.
    What about 90% junk silver?
    &quot;If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy.&quot;<br />- Thomas Jefferson

Thanks

Any websites out there buying the pre 82 Canadian nickels? Just looking for a general buying price that I can track. I like to keep track of my finances and want to include my nickel in there since it's starting to build up.
    Ash_Williams is a fictional character only and anything posted is for entertainment purposes only and is not meant to be taken as fact or advice and is not guaranteed to be accurate and does not necessarily represent the opinion of the person posting it.<br /> <br />&lt;b&gt;I&#39;d rather be banned than stupid&lt;/b&gt;

Copper
    Thanks

i recently started sorting pennies and now im looking to stack a couple K worth of nickels from my emergency fund stash. i really don't see any downside to hording these. i think it's actually better than holding paper FRN's,..... actually i know its better.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,105 Times in 1,033 Posts

i do it because people on here say to, but i don't really get or see the point of it. i mean, it's nickel.

Thanks

I save my nickels and copper pennies but I don't know what value the nickels will ever have, I don't think we will ever be able to sell them for their copper.

This from Wikipedia.

Toxicity
    Exposure to nickel metal and soluble compounds should not exceed 0.05 mg/cm³ in nickel equivalents per 40-hour work week. Nickel sulfide fume and dust is believed to be carcinogenic, and various other nickel compounds may be as well. Nickel carbonyl, [Ni(CO)4], is an extremely toxic gas. The toxicity of metal carbonyls is a function of both the toxicity of the metal as well as the carbonyl's ability to give off highly toxic carbon monoxide gas, and this one is no exception. It is explosive in air. Sensitized individuals may show an allergy to nickel affecting their skin, also known as dermatitis. Sensitivity to nickel may also be present in patients with pompholyx. Nickel is an important cause of contact allergy, partly due to its use in jewellery intended for pierced ears. Nickel allergies affecting pierced ears are often marked by itchy, red skin. Many earrings are now made nickel-free due to this problem. The amount of nickel which is allowed in products which come into contact with human skin is regulated by the European Union. In 2002 researchers found amounts of nickel being emitted by 1 and 2 Euro coins far in excess of those standards. This is believed to be due to a galvanic reaction.

It was voted Allergen of the Year in 2008 by the American Contact Dermatitis Society.

RJB

Nickel is $11+ a pound. But there are a lot of uses for cupric nickel alloys. The nice thing about "nickels" is that we know the ratio. A smelter just needs to add the more copper or nickel to the mixture to get the ratio he wants. I believe that the toxicity of nickel is due to it's reactivity when isolated. Once combined with another metal (like copper) it's essentially inert. Infact it's used heavily for maritime equiptment due to it's ability to avoid corrosion in seawater.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper-nickel
    Here is a handy coin metal value calculator.
    http://www.coinflation.com/coins/bas...alculator.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebone
    I save my nickels and copper pennies but I don't know what value the nickels will ever have, I don't think we will ever be able to sell them for their copper.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chad
    i do it because people on here say to, but i don't really get or see the point of it. i mean, it's nickel.
    It's because nickels are inflation and deflation proof. With inflation, you benefit from the metal value of the coin, with deflation you benefit from the face value. No downside to holding them long term. With gold and silver bullion, prices can always go down; whereas with a brick of nickels, your purchasing power is protected either way.

BTW, when I buy nickels, I look through them to find the silver war nickels and pre-38 buffalo nickels. I average one war nickel per box, and I've found a few buffalo nickels in the last year.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell