Thread: The pressure cooker thread, recipes,etc.

BoatingAccident

The pressure cooker thread, recipes,etc.

I like to cook with a pressure cooker, and am always looking for new recipes and advise.

My favorite, is an Irish Stew.

Brown lamb shoulder(1 inch pieces) with fresh parsley and onions..

Then add, beef broth, tomato paste, potatos (1 inch pieces), celery, salt, pepper, and a bay leaf. Bring to pressure.

Pressure cook for 8-10 minutes high pressure (time may very per amount/cooker).

Then, add a small amount of butter and some flour to thicken.

Great stew, can eat it every night if I need too..

Thanks

Re: The pressure cooker thread, recipes,etc.

thanks Boating!

We don't eat much lamb. But I will have to try that.

Keep em comming!
    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." T.J.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. (MJK)

Silence is Treason!

Electrum
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BoatingAccident
    I like to cook with a pressure cooker, and am always looking for new recipes and advise.

My favorite, is an Irish Stew.

Brown lamb shoulder....
    Pressure cooker - good. Lamb - yuck! Sorry, but I don't like the stuff (nasty smell/flavor). My wife likes it, but I can't stomach the stuff.

My favorite pressure cooker recipe is probably Beef Barley Casserole, a recipe from my paternal grandmother (modified for pressure cooker use).

Beef Barley Casserole

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 pounds Boneless Chuck -- 1.5" cubes
    2 Tablespoons Oil
    2 cups pearl barley
    2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
    1 cup chopped onion
    5 cups hot water -- divided
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon paprika (bittersweet) (used smoked
    paprika)
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 4 oz can sliced mushrooms -- UNDRAINED
    1 4 oz can chopped pimientos (or chopped red peppers) -- drained
    1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce

Brown meat in hot oil in large (8 qt.) heavy pot. Remove meat.

If cooking in pressure cooker, deglaze cooker with 2 splashes of wine (red or white).

Brown onions in pot, then add barley & sesame seeds. Add more oil if necessary to brown onion mixture.

Add 2 cups water to onion mixture, cover & simmer 15 minutes.

Then add meat, soup, pimiento, undrained mushrooms, salt, paprika, worcestershire sauce, and 3 cups hot water.

Cover & bake at 350 °F for 1.5 hours. Uncover, stir, and if too dry add 1/2 cup water.
    Finish baking 1/2 hour uncovered.

Pressure Cooker Instructions: Brown beef with med-high heat...remove from pan...deglaze with white or red wine...add all ingredients & cook under high pressure (15 psi) for 18 minutes. Allow to slowly cool (~20 minutes). Done!

BoatingAccident

Thanks Cruffler, that sounds delicious. I will try this recipe!

Silver
    Thanks

My favorite thing to cook in the pressure cooker is split pea soup. You need to put in a couple teaspoons of oil (I use olive) to keep it from foaming, but it comes out great.

The other thing I like to cook is roast. I just put in the hunk of beef top it with some onion soup mix and stuff a bunch of veggies around it (potatoes, carrots, onions, turnips, etc.) I add a LOT of cloves of garlic in and cook it using the book that came with the cooker as a guide--obviously I improvise a bit.

In about 30 minutes you have a great roast and the pressure cooking seems to infuse the beef and the veggies with the flavor of the onions and the garlic.

--SP

Electrum
    Thanks

It is quite yummy. For other good pressure cooker recipes, I like the book "Cooking Under Pressure", by Lorna Sass. Used copies are available pretty cheap on Amazon.

BoatingAccident

Quote Originally Posted by CrufflerJJ
    It is quite yummy. For other good pressure cooker recipes, I like the book "Cooking Under Pressure", by Lorna Sass. Used copies are available pretty cheap on Amazon.
    CrufflerJJ....thank you!! I am stuffed. I finally got around to making your recipe, and it was excellent. Thanks for sharing, it's an instant favorite of mine now.

Now, I have a lot of leftovers! I think I will be enjoying this for the next day, or two.

Electrum
    Thanks

CrufflerJJ....thank you!! I am stuffed. I finally got around to making your recipe, and it was excellent. Thanks for sharing, it's an instant favorite of mine now.

Now, I have a lot of leftovers! I think I will be enjoying this for the next day, or two.
    Glad you liked it! Leftover beef barley casserole freezes well, and it's easy to reheat in the microwave. Did you do it in a pressure cooker, or by the slower bake method?

BoatingAccident

Glad you liked it! Leftover beef barley casserole freezes well, and it's easy to reheat in the microwave. Did you do it in a pressure cooker, or by the slower bake method?
    I used the pressure cooker. I was surprised how much food it made (I was cooking for 2). Maybe I can chop the recipe in half next time. The leftovers were nice for lunch the next day.

Also, I ordered that book "Cooking under Pressure". I appeciate your advise in this thread, many thanks.

I like pressure cooking, because it's quick, sips fuel, and the food seems to come out great. I'm installing a new stove/oven unit this week, and should be able to store enough fuel to cook for a couple of years.

I'm working on fine-tuning a rib recipe, and will post it when I get a chance.