Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heimdhal's Baking and Pastry Thread

Thanks

Heimdhal's Baking and Pastry Thread

OK here it is, finaly, Heimdhals Baking and Pastry Thread.

Please feel free to add anything you wish to this thread pretaining to baking, pastries or cooking methods in general. Dont be shy, this isnt about me, this is about all of us sharing our ideas and SHTF ideas are even better!!

First, I would like to give you all the Xcel spread program that I used in proffessional baking. This is a program where you can add the individual weights of ingredients, and then scale them to size as you need to make it larger or smaller. (See attachment)

It will look like this:

[img width=600 height=579]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/Recipes.jpg[/img]

The spreadsheet is formated for a special calculation based on the flour, so always put your flour amount in that box and dont change any of the code, or you wont be able to scale it. WHen you save, click "Save As" so you dont over right your original, so you can use it again and again.

And example of this will be used is seen here:

[img width=600 height=784]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m179/TeamPointBlank/whitepanbreadpic-1.jpg[/img]

The numers in the Right columns, where the arrow is pointing is the original recipes weights. This could be any weight at all. The % on the side is for doing Bakers Math and isnt really important if you're using the program. Just know that whatever your flour weight is, it is always 100% so if you have 10 oz of flour and 12 oz of sugar, your sugar will be above 100%. Liek I said, its Bakers Math. This is why flour must always be in the Flour Box or it will mess up the recipe.

The yellow box on the side is the scaled yield. Just put in whatever weight you want in oz to scale up or down. If the recipe is 4 lbs of dough, but you want 1, just type in 16 and it will scale each ingredient on the far left column to the new weights. Use those weights to get your 16 oz dough.

And so, while we already have it up here, I will, as my first addition to the thread, give you my SHTF White Pan Bread Recipe. I call it SHTF because it is made entirley of things we should all have in our preps that wont spoil (hence the reason for shortening and milk powder instead of butter and real milk).

White Pan Bread
    Bread Flour......... 2 lbs 8 oz
    Water (warm).......23 oz
    Fresh Yeast...... 2 oz (cut in half if using active dry or instant)
    Salt................. 1 oz
    Milk Powder.......... 2 oz
    Shortening........... 2 oz
    Sugar................ 2 oz

Sift flour
    Mix for 6 to 8 minutes
    Proof 40 min, punch down, bench rest 10 minutes
    roll out with rolling pin.
    Form Loaf (by rolling the dough up, folding the ends underneath to fit inside the bread tin)
    Proof 30 minutes or until doubled in sized
    Water or Milk wash the top (brush a little water or milk on the top)
    Score bread lengthwise
    Bake at 400 for 35 min
    (If you want to make it whole wheat without being overly dense, replace 8 to 12 oz of the white bread flour with whole wheat flour.

French Bread
    (for 1 1/2# Loaf)

Bread Flour.......... 14.25 oz
    Sugar................. .25 oz
    Salt................... .25 oz
    Water................. 8.29 oz
    Fresh Yeast......... .51 oz (cut in half for active dry or instant)
    Malt Powder (flour).... .10 oz
    Shortening.............. .25 oz

Add yeast to warm water (95-105 f, too hot youll kill the yeast)
    Sift Flour, add in dry ingredients (salt, sugar, malt powder)
    Add dry to water all at once
    Begin mixing
    Add Shortening (always add fats last if you are able)
    Knead (in machine) 8-10 minutes, or by hand until dough is not too sticky with a smooth, even surface
    Proof until doubled in size
    Punch Down dough
    Let Bench rest 10 minutes (sitting on the counter, covered)
    Shape into long French Bread loaf
    Proof until doubled in size or dough doesnt spring back after a gentle, shallow poke of a finger
    Egg or water wash if desired (water for dark color, egg for shiny surface)
    Score diagonaly, 3 to 4 cuts traditonaly
    Bake at 475 for 20-25 minutes
    Steam first 10 (throw some water in your oven when you put the bread in if you dont have steam injection)

It looks flat, but its not.
    You can see the left over portion of a loaf of Whole Wheat bread based on the White Pan Bread recipe above.

ETA: Ok for some reason I cant add xcels in the attachments. Anyone know a way to do it. Its no super important, unless you want to be able to scale the recipe.
    If someone asks you what good is a hi-cap MAG ban when there are millions of them already around and you answer, "well clips can't be reused" you're switching into full retard mode. -MadFranks

Thanks

Re: Baking and Pastry

My wife and Both like to bake.

Can't wait to see what is posted here.
    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." T.J.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. (MJK)

Silence is Treason!

cigarlover

I'm looking forward to this as well. I have a soft spot for pastries. well that soft spot is growing because of pastries too

J in AZ

Cool!! I have long enjoyed cooking/baking but lately it has become one of my most rewarding hobbies/pastimes. I look forward to sharing recipes and techniques.

WebTech

Heimdhal's Baking and Pastry Thread

I changed the topic title to Heimdhal's Baking and Pastry Thread.

PS Don't forget "Easy Bread"!

Great Value Carrots willie pete's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea, bring it on, what do you think of bread machines? I'm sure they do a good job, and are really convienent, but......better than oven method?
    If you don't think to good, don't think too much

coopersmith

Re: Heimdhal's Baking and Pastry Thread

Nice I look forward to seeing what you post.

I have a question if your taking them. We make a no kneed bread recipe that we found. We have always cooked the bread on a cookie sheet, then removed it after its half cooked to finish on the oven rack. The bread comes out fine, but its a wide not too tall loaf. Could this bread be cooked in a bread pan so that it would have a better shape for slicing for sandwiches, toast, and such?

JJ.G0ldD0t

Bring it cookie!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WT
    I changed the topic title to Heimdhal's Baking and Pastry Thread.

PS Don't forget "Easy Bread"!
    Thanks!

Im hoping to do some vidoes as well on youtube to post here for "SHTF style cooking ideas" with some how to's on basic baking and food prep.

I wanted easy bread to be my first, but I dont own a dutch oven I wonder if a good cake pan will work. (one of the commerical ones that i have, not those flimsy ones from like wal mart or whatever.)
    If someone asks you what good is a hi-cap MAG ban when there are millions of them already around and you answer, "well clips can't be reused" you're switching into full retard mode. -MadFranks

WebTech

I use a piece of Corning Ware. Works fine.