Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water Wheels for Generating Electricity

Gold
    Thanks

Re: Water Wheels for Generating Electricity

See this link for some good water wheel Info.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/behrens16.html
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/behrens17.html

My location is along the outside bend of a river where all the river's energy is concentrated, and the water is 3-4 feet deep right beside the bank . Stream velocity is 10 feet/second under normal conditions, double that in fall rain conditions

The poncelot wheel i will make will be made out of corten steel which is rust resistant, and will naturally camouflage it. I have detailed information on a curved blade design that will maximize efficiency.

I have a considerable mechanical background, and have access to a full machine/welding shop. Instead of relying on wooden bushings, and primitive lubrication like existed 100 or more years ago, modern materials/bearings/shafts/gearing will be used throughout.

Most wheel parts will be laser cut, except the buckets which will be rolled to match the optimum profile. They will then be either welded (buckets) or bolted into place (wheel quarters). I will probably build a few spare parts at the same time for the inevitible breakdowns/damage that will occur.

I would supply a drawing of my water wheel mount arrangement, but am considering patenting/manufacturing it if it works as well as I hope it does. I need to test it first.

The river height varies by approx 3-6 feet year throughout the year, so easily adjusting wheel height is important. In extreme flood conditions, being able to remove the wheel from the water and above bank height is important

Consideration for debris impact is important, as during high water conditions logs float down the river. The mount design I am contemplating will be counter-weighted, so any impact on the wheel will raise the wheel downstream in an arc., then lowering it when the debris is passed. This will also work well with unwary kayakers and river rafters

Platinum
    Thanks

Ten feet per second is close to 14 miles per hour, which is a fairly fast stream. If you have such a stream I can understand why you would be so enthusiastic about the project.

cigarlover

Well, I checked my stream and its nowhere near deep enough. I may be able to put in a pond though and divert the stream into the pond. Then I could put this at the other end of the pond. I wouldnt be able to generate power all year long though. I may be better off going to solar panel route.

Gold
    Thanks

If your stream has 6-10' of drop , you could divert a chute from it and run an overshot wheel, or if you have even more drop there are many other options. One of the most reliable hydro generating schemes uses very little water but lots of head (drop). A little Pelton wheel may work well for you.

Hydro is supreme because it generates 24/7, not just when the wind blows and the sun shines. How deep is your stream?

There are many options for hydro. I'm just going with a water wheel because it suits my property the best.

Thanks

Hydro sytem combined with solar and wind... triple redundant!
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe