"What Difference, at this time, does it make?"

"What is 'is'?"

"Because you'd be in jail"

Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 3,216 Posts

Re: Ohhhh Ahhhh Ohhhh! Palladium!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnQPublic View Post
    Pd- nice $1005/ozt
    Do you think Pd has permanently taken over Pt? Pd now about 100frns above Pt. Had been holding around 60frns above for at least a month before this latest carnage. How long before Au falls below Pd?
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

Thanks
    Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,345 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by osoab View Post
    Do you think Pd has permanently taken over Pt? Pd now about 100frns above Pt. Had been holding around 60frns above for at least a month before this latest carnage. How long before Au falls below Pd?
    They could re-reformulate back to Pt for catalysts. I think Pt is more efficient, but when cost is 2x, Pd is better. I am not sure what the exact break even point is. That may mean it is a good time to trade over or trade to silver (or $$). I need to think about this.

"What is 'is'?"

Thanks

Here is a good post:

Timothy I. Hyde
    Johnson Matthey

Your question you ask may not be correct as modern catalysts are mostly bimetallics. Also In general we have to distinguish between diesel and gasoline engines.
    The role of Pt in catalytic converters is to oxidise carbon monoxide (CO) and hydrocarbons. Pt is particularly effective at this under oxygen-excessive conditions, so is often the metal of choice for diesel applications. With development, modern Diesel oxidation catalysts are most often bimetallic Pt-Pd based.
    For gasoline powered vehicles (where there is a balance between reductants and oxidants in the exhaust gas), Pt and Pd can be equally effective. The three-way catalyst used for gasoline powered vehicles must also be able to reduce NOx to nitrogen as well as oxidise CO and hydrocarbons – that is why Rh is generally used in addition to Pt or Pd.
    Historically most gasoline engine catalyst formulations included Pt/Rh as the active component. While catalysts may be trimetallic (Pt/Pd/Rh), they are now mostly Pd/Rh in composition with this choice often made on the basis of relative cheaper cost of Pd over Pt.
    I attach a couple of short articles from Platinum Metals Review which expand upon my answer.

"What is 'is'?"

Thanks

Another on the same thread:

3 years ago

Michael Paraskevas
    IMMG SA

The bimetallic catalyst is an urban legend! The Pt is in lower ratio due to its cost, but it will always exist. A lot of papers talk about a ratio Pd/Pt/Rh of 5/1/1, but recent finds have gone as far as 9/1/1. Have a look at some papers:

https://i1.rgstatic.net/ii/profile.i...ateedi_Rao.jpg

"What is 'is'?"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,868 Times in 2,349 Posts

Platinum is suffering from the advanced condition of Bitcoinitis circa 2033.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,607 Times in 4,200 Posts

intraday high/ask $1,110 today That would exceed the Y2K spike to, what appears to be ~$1,100

Quote Originally Posted by PatColo View Post
    Is this an all time high? I need to dig up an "all data" chart. Kitco's site is so loaded up with obnoxious little ad gadgets, yesterday a couple open kitco tabs caused my firefox to become unresponsive and needed to kill it in task manager! anyways, below charts are "live",

edit- kitco's chart since 1992:

http://www.kitco.com/LFgif/pd92-pres.gif

looks like a climactic spike to ~$1,100 around the top of Y2K.

anyone pay attention to what the backstory to that run was?

Here's Pd's cousin Pt, same time range,

http://www.kitco.com/LFgif/pt92-pres.gif

virtually no resemblance! dances to a different drummer!
    FAKE "ELECTIONS" - Why Ron Paul Can't "Win"

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

Thanks

intraday high/ask $1,110 today That would exceed the Y2K spike to, what appears to be ~$1,100
    I remember your story with NW Mint back at GIM - did you hold on to any of that PAL? If I remember correctly, it was under $200?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,607 Times in 4,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TroyOz View Post
    I remember your story with NW Mint back at GIM - did you hold on to any of that PAL? If I remember correctly, it was under $200?

spot was $220 the July '04 day I bought; +$20 premium/delivered (finally! ), so paid $240. Spot did drop in the early months after my purchase; bounced off ~$180 IIRC. But yes, still holdin'
    FAKE "ELECTIONS" - Why Ron Paul Can't "Win"

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PatColo For This Useful Post:

TroyOz (4th January 2018)

Thanks

spot was $220 the July '04 day I bought; +$20 premium/delivered (finally! ), so paid $240. Spot did drop in the early months after my purchase; bounced off ~$180 IIRC. But yes, still holdin'
    You win the internet for the day! That proves the saying (paraphrase) " Many can be right, but few can hold tight".

I had some dealings with NW and Ross a-hole, which is why I remembered your story.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TroyOz For This Useful Post:

PatColo (4th January 2018)