Iridium
    Thanks

Re: 100 Things You Will Wish You had Stored

And if there's electricity/gas:

anything related to your vehicle:

Tires,
    Oil
    Wipers, etc.
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint - Isaiah 40:31

Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. ~
    Matthew 7:7

geoengineeringwatch.org

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cigarlover
    Anyone ever calculate what it would cost to buy all this stuff and be stocked up for 2 years?
    If you don't have a baby, or smoke, or don't need a portable toilet, I estimate the initial investment including the first year of consumables would cost somewhere in the $12,000-$15,000 range. A second year of consumables would be about $5,000 for a family of four.

I agree with your other comments; although there are many good items on this list, I don't think it's well thought out in terms of either priority or self-consistency. For example, would I really need a large supply of Coleman fuel, AND propane tanks, AND charcoal and lighter fluid?

Electrum
    Thanks

1xx. A case of Everclear. Not for drinking (but yes, you could add it to various things like o.j.), this would be used for sterilizing instruments, disinfecting, and is a good deodorant (does anyone remember seeing the barber's instruments soaking in the plaid Everclear jars when they were a kid?) No denaturants and completely compatible with body chemistry. Also flammable, so can be used as last-resort fuel, or for barter possibilities.

R.
    The Giants of this world that hold gold know what it's worth... when it finally gets there they will still not liquidate their "stocks"... because gold as a store of purchasing power has an infinite time horizon. These Giants aren't interested in "catching the top" like Western traders. - para/FOFOA

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnarok For This Useful Post:

gunDriller (2nd June 2014)

Zinc
    Thanks

I've been looking at a lot of these lists, my goal is to have 1,000,000 calories and at least 1,000 ounces of silver. Thanks for sharing the list

Rebel Without a Clue sirgonzo420's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JonasMills View Post
    I've been looking at a lot of these lists, my goal is to have 1,000,000 calories and at least 1,000 ounces of silver. Thanks for sharing the list
    might be hard to do then when you are giving it away! http://gold-silver.us/forum/showthre...ds-May-25th%29

VERITAS LVX MEA ET VINCIT OMNIA VERITAS.
    All Rights Reserved. - No liability assumed. - No value assured. - Without recourse. - Not amenable to process. - Not to be construed as legal advice. - From without the UNITED STATES.
    Send me encrypted msg/mail with PGP! ---> http://tiny.cc/dpr6ew

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

i wonder how this is affected by new technologies like 3D printing & robotics.

will male-modelled robots be able to belch convincingly after drinking Robot Beer ?

will female-modelled robots be able to fabricate their own feminine hygiene products, using 3D printers ?

if the Survivalist community has an outreach program to the high-tech community, some of these ridiculous ideas could become real.

i think that's one of the charters of Burning Man - they build ridiculous sculpture, whilst living in the desert.

some year we'll go to to Burning Man, and some Japanese sponsored robot will be handing out Hitachi Zig-zag's.

now THAT'S something to put on your "100 things" list.
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,833 Times in 999 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gunDriller View Post
    i wonder how this is affected by new technologies like 3D printing & robotics.

will male-modelled robots be able to belch convincingly after drinking Robot Beer ?

will female-modelled robots be able to fabricate their own feminine hygiene products, using 3D printers ?

if the Survivalist community has an outreach program to the high-tech community, some of these ridiculous ideas could become real.

i think that's one of the charters of Burning Man - they build ridiculous sculpture, whilst living in the desert.

some year we'll go to to Burning Man, and some Japanese sponsored robot will be handing out Hitachi Zig-zag's.

now THAT'S something to put on your "100 things" list.
    I think Burning Man has been overrun by LGBT's.
    "Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who say they found it."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,010 Times in 2,836 Posts

You can do all ten steps at once or divide each into a separate week and shopping trip. But you need to get it done as soon as possible. Keep in mind that this is only a starting point and isn’t presented here as a completed list.
    1. Head to the nearest Wal-Mart, Kmart, Costco or whatever and pick-up 20 lbs. of white or brown rice and 20 lbs. of pinto beans. White rice has a better storage life while brown rice has more nutritional benefits – your choice.
    2. While you’re there grab 5 lbs. mixed beans, 5 lbs. of white sugar, 5 lbs. of iodized salt, one gallon of olive oil (can be frozen to extend shelf-life), 5 lbs. oats, 10 lbs. each of white or wheat flour and cornmeal.
    3. Now head over to the canned foods and pick-up 20 cans of canned fruits and 20 cans of canned vegetables. Be sure to buy only those brands and contents you normally eat and nothing exotic. No need to shock the senses.
    4. Now over to the canned meats. Pick-up 20 cans of various meats, salmon, stews, spam and tuna. Again buy only those brands with contents you normally eat and nothing exotic.
    5. Okay. Now to the to the peanut butter shelf and toss two 40-ounce jars in the cart. The listed shelf life is just over two years and each jar has over 6,000 calories. Peanut butter is an excellent instant survival food.
    6. Over to the powdered drink mix – go on I’ll wait…Okay, pick up two 72 Ounce Tang Orange drink canisters (provides 100% of the US RDA vitamin C requirement per 8 oz. glass). Also grab six 19-Ounce Containers of Kool-Aid Drink Mix.
    7. Off to the vitamin and supplement aisle, pick up 400 tablets “one a day” multivitamin and mineral supplements. I buy this brand at the local Wal-Mart – comes in 200 count bottle for $8 each.
    8. Now to the department we all love – sporting goods. Go to the camping aisle and pick up 4 five gallon water containers. Fill with tap water as soon as you get back home.
    9. While you’re there buy 250 rounds of ammunition for your primary defensive weapon. More if you can, but this will be a good start. Also a good universal cleaning kit.
    10. And lastly pick up the best LED flashlight you can afford, extra batteries and bulb. Also grab two boxes of wooden matches and several multi-purpose lighters. Don’t forget to date, use and rotate – remember first in first out. Let’s get started. What would you add to the list?
    “Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is.” ~ Outlaw Josey Wales…

STOP F*CKING WITH US.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mick silver For This Useful Post:

govcheetos (23rd October 2015),Hitch (21st October 2015)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Thanks Mick, that's a good list of preps. A good reminder for us, I added a bit more preps today because of your post.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

<--- My Avatar

Number 83 Popcorn is now critical. What a time to be alive! We are finally experiencing the doom and gloom we all posted about since GIM1.

Posted by MNeagle
    14th April 2010, 07:53 AM

Quote Originally Posted by MNeagle View Post
    100 Things You Will Wish You had Stored:http://prepare4emergency.blogspot.com/

How To Be Prepared:

In order to get through any major catastrophe you need to think in terms of survival, protection, food, water, clothing and shelter. Now I'm not Ewell Gibbons but, I don't need to be. Here is one person's opinion on what you will need in the event of a "financial collapse" or other disaster.

1. WATER:

Don't try and store a water supply that's too big to take with you. Buy water filters instead. Portable ones. Also Bleach (chlorine Bleach can "sterilize" water: 1 teaspoon for every 50 gallons.)

2. FOOD:

Think about "high value" and compact nutrition. You can buy from my A-Store if you want. See the set of links on the right to find out how much you need per person.

3. SHELTER :

RV's Are great, but I doubt you will get very far without any available fuel. Think in terms of a high quality tent: again see my links.

4. PROTECTION:

Pepper Spray is good to start with I will explain personal protection on another blog. Sorry, I can't sell guns or ammo but I can help you find what you need. This is an accessories store. We are not going to take on the "gubernment", or any local police. The goal is to protect ourselves from hungry and thirsty criminals that are tired of sleeping on the cold, cold ground.

The dollar is heading towards worthless...

I will blog on other reasons for preparation after I get this done. This is a work of love, not greed. Those that know me know that I have great love for my family and friends.

Those that know me also know that I am right when I tell you something. I was right about stocks, gold, real-estate, the dollar and a host of other things I won't go in to. I am well-educated; well versed, and know money better than any other man on the planet. I don't raise false alarms. This post is dated March 18, 2008. In a matter of weeks for some, months for others, your life is going to change in some very drastic ways. Please follow my advice for your benefit and the benefit of your families.

1. Generators

2. Water Filters/Purifiers

3. Portable Toilets

4. Seasoned Firewood. Wood takes about 6 - 12 months to become dried, for home uses.

5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps (First Choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)

6. Coleman Fuel. Impossible to stockpile too much.

7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots.

8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.

9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugar

10. Rice - Beans - Wheat

11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled etc.,)

12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid (Will become scarce suddenly)

13. Water Containers (Urgent Item to obtain.) Any size. Small: HARD CLEAR PLASTIC ONLY - note - food grade if for drinking.

16. Propane Cylinders (Urgent: Definite shortages will occur.)

17. Survival Guide Book.

18. Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, etc. (Without this item, longer-term lighting is difficult.)

19. Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula. ointments/aspirin, etc.

20. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)

21. Cookstoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)

22. Vitamins

23. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder (Urgent: Small canister use is dangerous without this item)

24. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products.

25. Thermal underwear (Tops & Bottoms)

26. Bow saws, axes and hatchets, Wedges (also, honing oil)

27. Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty (Great Cooking and Barter Item)

28. Gasoline Containers (Plastic & Metal)

29. Garbage Bags (Impossible To Have Too Many).

30. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels

31. Milk - Powdered & Condensed (Shake Liquid every 3 to 4 months)

32. Garden Seeds (No n-Hybrid) (A MUST)

33. Clothes pins/line/hangers (A MUST)

34. Coleman's Pump Repair Kit

35. Tuna Fish (in oil)

36. Fire Extinguishers (or..large box of Baking Soda in every room)

37. First aid kits

38. Batteries (all sizes...buy furthest-out for Expiration Dates)

39. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies

40. Big Dogs (and plenty of dog food)

41. Flour, yeast & salt

42. Matches. {"Strike Anywhere" preferred.) Boxed, wooden matches will go first

43. Writing paper/pads/pencils, solar calculators

44. Insulated ice chests (good for keeping items from freezing in Wintertime.)

45. Workboots, belts, Levis & durable shirts

46. Flashlights/LIGHTSTICKS & torches, "No. 76 Dietz" Lanterns

47. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks (jot down ideas, feelings, experience; Historic Times)

48. Garbage cans Plastic (great for storage, water, transporting - if with wheels)

49. Men's Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash/floss, nail clippers, etc

50. Cast iron cookware (sturdy, efficient)

51. Fishing supplies/tools

52. Mosquito coils/repellent, sprays/creams

53. Duct Tape

54. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes

55. Candles

56. Laundry Detergent (liquid)

57. Backpacks, Duffel Bags

58. Garden tools & supplies

59. Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies

60. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc.

61. Bleach (plain, NOT scented: 4 to 6% sodium hypochlorite)

62. Canning supplies, (Jars/lids/wax)

63. Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel

64. Bicycles...Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc

65. Sleeping Bags & blankets/pillows/mats

66. Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)

67. Board Games, Cards, Dice

68. d-con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer

69. Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets

70. Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks)

71. Baby wipes, oils, waterless & Antibacterial soap (sav es a lot of water)

72. Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc.

73. Shaving supplies (razors & creams, talc, after shave)

74. Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)

75. Soysauce, vinegar, bullions/gravy/soupbase

76. Reading glasses

77. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)

78. "Survival-in-a-Can"

79. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens

80. Boy Scout Handbook, / also Leaders Catalog

81. Roll-on Window Insulation Kit (MANCO)

82. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky

83. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts

84. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)

85. Lumber (all types)

86. Wagons & carts (for transport to and from)

87. Cots & Inflatable mattress's

88. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.

89. Lantern Hangers

90. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws,, nuts & bolts

91. Teas

92. Coffee

93. Cigarettes

94. Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal, etc,)

95. Paraffin wax

96. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.

97. Chewing gum/candies

98. Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)

99. Hats &

100. cotton neckerchiefs

http://prepare4emergency.blogspot.com/
    I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jewboo For This Useful Post:

monty (20th March 2020),Tumbleweed (20th March 2020),woodman (20th March 2020)