Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I need help finding scrap base metals for a side-project

Hybrid View

Great Value Chinese Military Shovel TheNocturnalEgyptian's Avatar
    Thanks

I need help finding scrap base metals for a side-project

Hi Everyone,

I've been having a hell of a time finding base metals for a side project of mine. I'm looking for aluminum, brass, bronze, titanium, copper, steel, or any other metal except lead in either shaving or powder form.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1408/...435ecd07bd.jpg

I called every machine shop in the phone book, and they all think I'm a refiner trying to sell their shavings, so they say no. I did have some luck with one GunDriller who is going to sell me some neat alloys. I am offering to buy these metal shavings at market price and I always specify that they are for an art project/personal use, but nobody is selling to me. I don't blame them - it's not worth their time.

Does anybody here have any ideas for resources or avenues that I can explore? I need metals and I need them shaving or powder form. The more surface area, the better.

All the metal retailer sites on the web have "Minimum order: 2 tons" etc on their sites. I'm looking for 50-100 lbs. max. Does anybody know of a site like this? How do I talk my way into a recycling plant and get them to sell these metals to me?

I did have some luck going to several key-cutting places. I was simply given the brass shavings from the keys, even though I offered to pay. The problem is that the quantity is nowhere near enough.

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com...s_shavings.jpg

I know you folks are the metal experts. Thanks for your time.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness; I love only that which they defend."- J.R.R. Tolkien

Nomen luni

Re: I need help finding scrap base metals for a side-project

What is the project, out of interest?

Thanks

Metal cast in resin which also contains a piezo-electric mineral such as quartz has been repeatedly proven to lessen/alter fields of Electro Magnetic Frequency. These devices chew up and dissipate Wifi and microwave radiation signals, by acting as lossy resonators.

Since I've started making them, I feel very different. But I've run out of metal. This is something I want to continue exploring but I simply cannot find the bulk metal.

http://photos.tradeholding.com/attac.../wimg_4038.jpg
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness; I love only that which they defend."- J.R.R. Tolkien

Nomen luni

Hey that looks really cool. Aside from its electromagnetic effect, it's a lovely piece of art!

My only suggestion is to look for a local model engineering club. Just make sure I don't get there first. I think I found a new hobby!

[edit]Aha! Just looked at your profile... orgonite! I actually own a full size orgone accumulator, and whilst I haven't done any experiments with a valid control on it, I have quite a few anecdotals that are fully enough to convince me that the phenomena is real. I haven't made up my mind on orgonite yet. To my knowledge, Reich didn't do any research along that line.

Thanks

Reich made Orgone Accumulators, which were incredibly effective but stored much of the collected energy. After they ran for a long time, they had sucked in so much energy that several assistants got sick just from touching the Orgone Accumulators directly. In my mind this is a testament to how much energy they can pull. Dr. Reich usually grounded his largest constructs to bodies of running water.

The addition of the Piezo-electric material somehow innervates the metal-resin matrix, and this accumulation of energy is no longer a problem. This action is not completely understood, despite there being a dozen forums organized around figuring it out.

The addition of a piezo-electric driver is the difference between an "orgone accumulator" and what we call "orgonite". Orgonite is easy because it is for the everyman, but actually your Orgone accumulator is the real deal, and very cool. If you would like to post about what it looks like I would be thrilled. As I understand it, they *all* utilize the principle of alternating layers of organic/inorganic material. Hence, my metal/resin.

I want to construct several more devices and gift them around, so I can try to scientifically explain what is going on. I'm going to try the recycling plant next.

Thanks

Here is one made with nano-iron, clear resin, and quartz crystal ground to nano size. The incredible surface area of the nanometal is almost 15x that of fine powder - the nanometal actually offers incredible resistance here. Because of this the quartz must be ground to receive a uniform piezoelectric effect.

Blue Kyanite and Lapis Lazuli have been added for jewerly value.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2542/...4e6a5fede8.jpg

Sensei made these, not me.

Nomen luni

People repeatedly got sick just from touching the Orgone Accumulators, even while they were in passive mode.
    I haven't read anything of that in Reich's work or experienced it when using an accumulator over the years. People were noted to get sick when low-level nuclear material was placed in a charged environment.

Thanks

There are definitely safe ways to use an accumulator, but most of the time they involve somehow grounding the accumulator during use, or cleansing it of the accumulated energy between uses. Basically it's drawing EMF energy towards it all the time - running water is the most common way of cleansing these devices of their electrical energy.

Platinum
    Thanks

Check the yellow pages for Recycling Services or Junk Dealers. Ask the machine shops who they sell their shavings to. Ask at hardware stores if they know an art foundry where you can get some drawer pulls duplicated. Then ask the foundry about metal sources. Also ask the foundry about making small particles so you don't have to pay a machinist to do it.

Platinum
    Thanks

I just thought about copper. You can usually get copper from a junk yard, in small pieces of electrical wire. Dissolve those in hydrochloric acid, then hang an iron nail in the solution. Copper flakes will pile up in the bottom of the bottle.