Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Bartering And Horse Trading (Part Duh)

Thanks

Re: Bartering And Horse Trading (Part Duh)

Hi govcheetos. Someone once told me that it was just as much work to do a $100 deal as a $10,000 deal. I agree but it is much safer to make several smaller deals in order to spread the risk. We are all different and need to do what works best for ourselves. The trick is knowing ourselves and what makes us tick.

Today is Friday and I had been looking at the Craigslist garage sale ads since Wednesday. Nothin’ to get excited about. However the local paper had about four ads that looked promising. One was an estate sale that I focused on. It started at 8:00 and I was there 15 minutes early. The ad said no early birds. Yeah, right; the buyers were already going through all the goodies when I got there. With no time to lose I greeted the sellers and began sizing up the sale. There were a few tents set up outside with tables covered with items and a double car garage full of items stacked everywhere. I began by spotting an item and asked the price. I said I will take it and set the item aside away from the sale. I told the sellers that I would be making a pile of items I would be buying so that other buyers wouldn’t pick up my items. This doesn’t usually work perfectly and I have to keep an eye on my pile of items as I am picking up other goodies.

There was so much for sale that it was overwhelming and there were many boxes of items that hadn’t even been opened by the time I was finished three hours later. Woah, three hours later ? What were you doing agnut, napping under a tree ? After talking to the sellers who, by the way, were wonderful people I sized up the situation. The father had passed on and two related families wanted to clear out the house as well as their own excess items so that they could move back to their home on a Pacific island. Time was of the essence and much hadn’t even been unboxed yet.

Here is most of what I got :

2 Coach purses w/matching wallets $45 total
    1 Prada purse with matching wallet $25
    1 8” alabaster vase and stand $2
    1 gloom chaser $2
    2 large area rugs $5 each
    1 outdoor carpet $2
    4 plastic trashcans w/wheels $2 each
    1 new WIFI in box $2
    1 Yamaha flute free (was in the free pile)
    2 lawn furniture recliner chairs $5 each
    4 jazz albums 50 cents each
    1 set 16 piece Milwaukee hole saw set from 5” on down $5
    5 metal cutting wheels $2 total
    1 old Black and Decker ½” drill $5
    1 new Black and Decker orbital polisher $4
    8 large potting containers 50 cents to $1 each
    1 box of tooling, drill bits, tap and die handles, 3 sharpening stones, 2 Vise Grips, etc $5.
    1 two gallon gas can $1

The purses I will either sell on eBay or give them to my daughters and ex for Christmas.

The alabaster vase and stand is an incredible piece of art. I already gave it to a friend who happened to be here this evening. She is a rock hound extraordinaire. I also gave her the gloom chaser.

The area rugs will be used in the house in high traffic areas.

The outdoor carpet will be used to protect the cedar decking that has just been laid out the front door.

The 4 trashcans will be used again and again rather than buying Glad bags all the time.

The WIFI is for a backup.

The Yamaha flute goes to my son if he wants it.

The two recliners will be used on the new front deck as soon as it is finished, hopefully this weekend. These recliners are the expensive kind and I had bought one several weeks ago, tried it and liked it.

The jazz albums are two Stan Getz, a Lionel Hampton, and a double album set of the best of Dave Brubeck. I’ll enjoy them as soon as I get one of my stereo systems set up.

The hole saw set will be for our use and loaning out to friends who will take good care of them.

The metal cutting wheels my older son will be thrilled to have.

The old Black and Decker drill will go in the pile with all the other drills I have collected through the years.

The orbital polisher is a backup,

The potting containers my sons had been asking me to be on the lookout for.

The box of tooling will be added to the loads of other tooling I have accumulated.

I listed the items first and then listed in order what I intend to do with the items. As we are GEM (garage, estate and moving) sailing it would be wise to at least have an inkling of what we are going to later do with these items.

Nobody in their right mind would leave a productive gold mine to go elsewhere and dig another hole in hopes of striking it rich. That is why I didn’t leave the estate sale; it was both productive and a lot of fun.

By the way, I helped one of the sellers move an antique piano and a chest freezer. It seems that few buyers want to get involved in work but I believe that this helping is what can uplift a seller. I don’t do this to get a better deal; it is just courtesy while I am at their property.

When I got home I took a 90 minute nap to be awakened by a couple of friends digging a 3 foot deep hole in my driveway. They were looking for the electric lines so that my backhoe wouldn’t find them the hard way. She was in the hole with a shovel, digging furiously and he was standing nearby supervising. Where can you find a woman like that these days ?

I began digging the 120 foot long drainage trench but it got too dark so I’ll have to continue tomorrow. If you don’t hear from me for a week, I’ll probably be in a trench of my own. With all my hair singed off. An electrifying sendoff. Interesting.

Best wishes,

Agnut

2. The Following User Says Thank You to agnut For This Useful Post:

govcheetos (24th September 2014)

Thanks

I wonder what the price of meat will be next year. If it goes from $5/lb to $7/lb, you have made an additional 40% from your “investment. Tax free too ! Something to think about. And I really mean that we all should think deeply about the future as to what we will hold in our possession when the day comes that the items we hold will be in great demand.

How about this idea ? Buy a good used electric saw blade sharpener for the power saws. In the future you could have a blade sharpening service for cash or trades. I have an electric chain saw sharpener, a cheapie that I got from Harbor Fright. It was on sale for about $30; so far I’ve sharpened about 30 chains for myself and some friends. It works well and probably will do another 100 or so before it craps out. That is why I try to have a backup for whatever equipment I use regularly as well as ones I am anticipating using for servicing others’ equipment.

I am always looking at what will be needed in a transformed future. I hope we all understand what this future may be like. Gone are the days when folks thought they could afford to throw away dull saw blades and replace them with new blades. Personally I prefer to think in terms of bartering my services for others’ services or items rather than to charge money. I think of money as the weak link in bartering and horse trading because it has been losing value and confidence. Also, trading with another usually results in a happier and more rich deal all around. I can recall giving someone an item I have and their returning the favor in wonderful and unexpected ways.

Also gone are the days when we would buy new jeans or shirts or boots or a myriad of items that wear out through time. In the first place money is tight and in the second place prices are going up. Last Friday I was at the estate sale I posted above and got to talking to a couple of ladies who were the sellers. I told them about the clothes I had on and what they cost. My Phat Farm shoes were free and I just had to put in a set of laces I had laying around, my jeans I had gotten at a bag sale at my favorite thrift store for 30 cents, my shirt was also 30 cents. So I had all of 60 cents tied up in my clothing I was wearing that day. The ladies just sat their with their mouths open and didn’t know what to say. Furthermore I told them that the money I saved could go to other items I needed or to food which is an absolute necessity.

Americans are going to have to wake up to the fact that they cannot continue without using what income they have judiciously. They hit the wall long ago and have been living on borrowed time and money. My quote, “The filthiest four letter word in the English language is debt”, will probably never be often cited but it has been felt painfully for decades and sadly will be the downfall of millions who did not see this coming.

I suspect that at the bottom of all this foolishness is the marketing propaganda as well as the “pride” of buying new items. Isn’t pride one of the 7 deadly sins ? Wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy and gluttony. Yep, it’s right there in the middle. Hey, if you’re going to have pride, at least have pride in a job well done whether it is your occupation or wise handling of your finances. Being proud of having a “new” car or fancy new clothes appears a bit financially retarded and slothful in my view. But that’s just me.

On the other hand, God bless all the multitude of folks who have been obliviously buying all the “new” merchandise, for without them there wouldn’t be all the used items available at laughably low prices. Just imagine if everyone were clued in to how much they could save. If so, the prices of used items as well as their availability would not be what we see today. Haven’t you noticed some GEM sales asking prices not much below their new prices ? When I see this I leave skid marks on the way to the next sale.

This morning there was only one sale that interested me. It was advertised as a moving sale, everything must go. Imagine a one day only moving sale and on Friday at that ! When most everyone was at work !

When I got there I found out that it was a moving sale alright. The owner had moved on to his final reward. In other words, an estate sale. Lots of stuff in multiple buildings. I began in the house garage where I asked if they had an air compressor. The said that there was one in the workshop building. When I got there I was told that one of the sons had already hauled it away but then I spied a Skil saw worm drive with two blades, one was new. The price was $25 and I didn’t even quibble. While there I saw an industrial pair of grinding wheels for a machine I had at home. I gathered the grinding wheels with a large cup wire wheel and asked the price for all three. He asked what I wanted to pay. From there it was game on. I said five dollars and he agreed. I could have said two or three dollars but here is where generosity pays off. Did I just say generosity ? Or did I really mean instead of grinding the poor seller into the dirt while making myself look like Shylock who, by the way, reminds me of the depraved character on the cover of the Jethro Tull Aqualung LP ?

My point is that there is a low limit offered price from the buyer which should not be crossed. It is what I call the insult line. The three items for $5 would cost over $50 plus tax new. And all three items happened to be never used. I find this to occur at some estate sales wherein the owner passed on before he could get the items out of the package. Maybe worrying about how to pay for these items gave him a heart attack in the first place (or was that the last place ?). Death by debt.

When I got finished in the workshop I returned to the house garage where I zeroed in on the 150 or so DVDs laid out in boxes. The price was $1.50 each or $1 when buying 10 or more. I asked how much the season sets were and they said that they were also a dollar each. I was a bit in shock since even the thrift stores sell these sets for $10 to $15. I got the first four seasons of “House” for a dollar each, all 5 seasons of “Ghost Whisperer” for a dollar each and the 5 seasons of “Supernatural”(36 discs) for a dollar total. I was almost embarrassed but the seller had set the price and I have a rule to not bid the price up against myself. Otherwise the estate sale police could show up and put me in the strait jacket we all subconsciously worry about lurking out there in the nether lands, just waiting for one of us to make a serious lapse in judgment.

After paying for the 60 DVDs I realized that I had made a potentially expensive mistake; I had not looked through the house garage before going to the workshop building. Not even a cursory look. I was only then aware of how unaware I had been previously because I had not seen the DVDs or the second Skil worm drive saw with 4 blades (one new in the package) offered for $10. I was both happy and surprised that someone had not picked it up. It was a steal. I’m relating this to show you that even though I can be oblivious at times, I still come out smelling like a rose. This has happened too many times to ignore in that I conclude that there is so much room for error and sloppiness (that’s me) that anyone who can fog up a mirror and has a great desire can succeed beyond their wildest dreams.

Yesterday a friend was over and needed a large pot for cooking up canning fruits and veggies. I gave her one realizing that that was the only one I had even though I didn’t do any canning. I had gotten it years ago because it was dirt cheap. Today I got a large pot for $3 like the one I had given away yesterday. This too happens from time to time. I guess it is part of the bartering and horse trading lifestyle. There is a rhythm, a flow to go with as we are pursuing our deals. And when we are in that groove we are along for the ride. Pretty cool, and after all the years I have been doing this I have only recently taken note of this phenomenon.

God is a comedian playing to an audience that is too afraid to laugh.
    Voltaire

Best wishes,

Agnut

P.S. Last post I was digging out the 120 foot long drainage trench while worrying about hitting the 220v electric line. I never hit the electric or water lines but I did find the sewage line. It was only by sheer dumb luck that the backhoe teeth scraped the dirt clear on top of the sewage pipe and didn‘t break the pipe. I can only compare it to a blind dinosaur using his teeth to pick a feather off a bird’s tail without hurting the bird.

Of course, the bird isn’t full of shit like I am sometimes.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agnut For This Useful Post:

govcheetos (27th September 2014),zap (26th September 2014)

Thanks

Another great post Agnut, I wish I had the patience to type out everything like you. Patience is a virtue that I'm slowly working on. Been a little slow lately, some sales, but not much I'm looking for. Today was better. Picked up an almost brand new 6500 BTU window ac for $40. It's a GE if that still means anything, still made in china. These cost about 300 at walmart last time I priced them. I keep a couple on hand for when we have blackouts which has been often this summer. This one is going to the wife's parents house. I run them off a generator, as well as the fridge and deep freeze. I had a 10,000 BTU model that was great, but way too heavy to be heaving into a window at 2 am in the dark. I got the 10,000 BTU model for free and sold it for $100. The other one I have I also got for free, so really I'm -$60 on 2 air conditioners now. If you follow Ben Franklin's thinking of a penny saved is a penny earned I'm up $660. $300 each for ac plus $100 for the one I sold, minus $40 for the new one. Not bad. Picked up an antique offshore trolling rod and reel for $10 along with 2 old feather brand boat paddles with original paint and patina. These will hang on the wall for decorations. Whoever used to own that old rod is rolling over in their grave their kids sold it for so cheap. It's got a good home now.

Made a deal with a lady who is moving that I help with her yard. She has a 1 year old toro self propelled mower which sells for $400 at home depot that she doesn't want to move. I offered $250 worth of grass cutting at $50 per cut for the mower and we struck a deal. This mower will literally pay for itself in the next couple months. It's the same model I got for free about a year ago, the owner said the transmission was shot and the guy at the mower store said it wasn't worth fixing. I took it and found a wood chip from their landscape mulch stuck between the drive belt and a pully. Works great, now I have a matching set.

Always looking for deals on old boats and trailers, and the word has gotten out through a few of my contacts. Got a call to come and get 2 with trailers for free. One of the trailers is pretty rusty, gonna use it for a yard trailer, probably put a plywood deck over it and use it for selling larger items on the side of the road. The other trailer is galvanized and I'll keep for the next deal that comes along. The boats are pretty much junk, but I'll offer them on craigslist for a week or so and then take them to the landfill after stripping them of any good useable parts or scrap.

Talked to a friend of a friend at a lunch counter who is into old cars. He was out in the country and found a couple of old rusted out 40's model Fords that he made a deal for $500 each. A steal all by itself. He got them home and while getting one off the trailer it bounced and a bunch of coins fell out of a hole under the trunk. He pryed the trunk open and found several bags and old card board boxes full of old coins, many of them silver. He called the guy back and asked if he had left anything in the car and he said "Yes, a bunch of coins" The purchaser offered to return them to him and asked if maybe he receive a 50% finders fee the man wasn't too keen on that, so he returned all of them. I believe in doing the right thing, but I think I would have just kept my mouth shut. I can't believe the seller wouldn't pay him anything. He showed me pictures of the cars and the piles of coins, so I know it to be a true story. My mouth was watering.

Hope everyone is doing well, go out there and find something!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to govcheetos For This Useful Post:

agnut (29th September 2014),mick silver (28th September 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,010 Times in 2,836 Posts

it's hell trying to find used trailer around here anymore . went to a few sales and nothing I wanted anyways . I need a real heavy trailer for a tractor I am about to buy ford Holland 5000 , the tractor looks new barn keep between mowings . It look like you guys are doing better then me on sales it's like all I am seeing is whats left of the bottom anymore . hope all of you are doing good be safe mick
    “Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is.” ~ Outlaw Josey Wales…

STOP F*CKING WITH US.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mick silver For This Useful Post:

agnut (29th September 2014),govcheetos (14th October 2014)

Thanks

Mick trailers can be hard to find when you're looking for one to meet your needs. Around me they are brand new or almost brand new and cost that way too. If they are used they are almost used up, lots of miles, weight, and working everyday abuse. Other used ones are sitting in a field somewhere rusting away from not being used or maintained and will need work or at least tires, which are expensive these days for new ones if you want the right ones. I picked up a 16 ft flatbed with ramps and 7000 lb Dexter axles for $800 a few years ago. I put a new paint job on it and switched a couple tires around that I talked the guy into throwing in. I hardly use it, but when I do it's a lifesaver. I'll hitch it up and drag it around a few miles a couple times a year just to keep the bearings turned and flat spots off the tires. I'll bet I have close to 30 different spare trailer and truck wheels and tires stashed away. I keep the good ones, and put the less than good ones on the cheap junk I'm selling just to get it down the road. Plus if anyone I know is in need I can usually fix them up if it's for a pick up or a light to medium duty trailer. Found a Firestone Steel Tex 245/75/16 E rated with 3/4 thread on a steal rim on the side of the road where someone was moving out just last week.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to govcheetos For This Useful Post:

agnut (29th September 2014),mick silver (4th October 2014)

Thanks

Hi govcheetos. Between the boats, air conditioners, mowers and cars it sounds like you have enough variety going for a lifetime. Having multiple skills works best rather than having only one specialty. When one skill need slows down, another skill can kick in. Sometimes having too many skills in demand at the same time can be overwhelming.

Times are changing fast and we need to recognize what will be in demand in the future. I think most of us know enough to make it through the maze ahead but it can‘t hurt to broaden our knowledge while we still can. I am looking for the right Bridgeport vertical mill and metal lathe. Lots of things can be fabricated with the knowledge and tools. Most workshop garages have the typical equipment but having a mill and lathe isn’t usually one of them. The entry level cost in money and space is too high for most do it yourselfers. So I see a future demand.

Sometimes something as simple as a few sentences can open a door and change a life. I wonder when we American patriots will realize that we are all in this together and begin to think and work as a team. “What the hell is the matter with you people ?” keeps coming to mind. I have noticed that folks I talk to are more receptive that they were a few years ago. It is a sad phenomenon that those of us who talk to others about prepping and what the future holds in store are written off as paranoids until things reach crisis proportions. And then people begin to open up to the possibilities like they had discovered them on their own. I guess the reward is to watch these newly awakened folks as they mull through what has been going on in the past and connect to the present situation, then extrapolating to what the future portends under these new revelations. That is mind changing stuff, a more rare occurrence that you would think.

I thought I was through for the weekend with Friday’s estate sale booty but I was wrong. Yesterday I saw one garage sale that was about 20 minutes away. It was a real London fog out there so I put on my jacket of the same name and sallied forth (too gay ?). I couldn’t get the windshield cleared for the first 5 miles or so. The place was tucked away in a relatively unpopulated wooded area. I even got lost and had to backtrack; The map wasn’t clear; yeah, I’ll blame it on the mapmaker, that’s the ticket.

When I drove up, the house garage was open with tables set up with lots of various items.
    The barn to the left was also open and laid out with many items. I spoke to the husband seller a bit and asked him about a few items. As usual, these sellers are really nice people who have opened up their homes to virtual strangers. It doesn’t matter whether they are selling out of too much stuff syndrome or out of financial desperation, they are the sellers and are anticipating your buying some items and saving them from having to take a trip to the dump or poorhouse ( which is also a dump).

The first thing I saw was a 50’ long heavy nylon strap used for pulling down cut trees in the right direction. It was a dollar. This is something I need for taking down the many Alder trees around the property. A score even if I had found nothing else.

A come along winch for $5
    A trailer hitch with ball for $2
    A large ice chest for $1
    2 Tupperware bowls with lids for 50 cents each
    A Stihl chain saw case for $1
    Ace bandages, knee, elbow braces, 9 pieces for free
    2 gallon gas can for $1
    Sears sandblaster on wheels with hoses for $10
    4 LP records for $1.50
    Jasper and obsidian stones for free
    A bag of home grown zucchini and carrots for free

Sometimes we come away from a sale with what looks to be a small haul but when examining each item we realize that they fulfill a need. And the retail price is many multiples of what we paid. But there is more to it here. What would it take for us to buy these items ? The hours spent in finding them as well as the traveling time, the gas and wear and tear on our car, our research as to who has the right size and style we want. It is deceiving unless we sit back and reflect the totality of the effort and expense required. Our time is most precious, more precious to me as I become older. You younger readers probably give little thought of the value of your waking hours. I know, I did when I was young. To me, it is a matter of perspective and balancing my time with my objectives.

Now the items listed above may not seem like much but, as I posted recently, I am giving the uses I have in order to show you why I buy these items.

The heavy nylon strap was dirt cheap in the first place but I got it home and used it the same day for pulling some logs out of the woods. This week I intend to use the strap for tree logging. The dead Alder will be needed for firewood for this winter which may be a long and cold one according to reports I’ve read.

The come along winch will be used for pulling cars onto a car dolly. Much safer and easier than finding four strapping young men to push the car.

The trailer hitch with ball is offset and will correct my trailer fore and aft balance.

The large ice chest was only a buck; what can I say ?

I collect Tupperware for the future storage needs and trading. This is the only brand I buy.

The Stihl chain saw case will protect one of my Stihl saws when transporting.

The Ace bandages will be most appreciated here on the ache-r-age.

The 2 gallon gas can is now part of my vast gas can collection, both for use and trade.

Just last week my older son and I were discussing the needs for a sandblaster. The seller didn’t have his displayed for sale but he asked me out of the blue if I would be interested. He took me into his woodworking shop and pulled it out of the corner. I had neglected to ask him what else he might have for sale but he preemptively brought up the subject. Now looking back, that was a odd way of procuring an item I wanted and needed. I had asked if he had an air compressor, that may have set him off. I will never know.

The 4 LP records. George Benson, Neil Diamond and Blood Sweat and Tears albums were in pristine condition. They may be duplicates to my collection but at under 50 cents a record they seemed a pity to pass up. I have been collecting since the 60s and finding an unscratched album is becoming harder to find as time passes. They are like classic books, sometimes rare but often flawed through neglect. So I pick these records up for my enjoyment, trade or gifting.

The jasper stone is of my birth month and I keep it in the windowsill to look at it. Beautiful piece of nature’s art. The obsidian will go to a friend who also collects rocks.

The home grown zucchini and carrots went into a veggie stew with jalapenos, tumeric and several other ingredients. Just a fond gustatory memory now.

Now what if I had said to myself that early Saturday morning that I would instead watch the TV or wander around the property ? I would have missed out on the adventure and rewards that sometimes cannot be quantified.

Today there are many thrill seekers who do some wild and dangerous sports. I’ve gone hang gliding, sailplane, flown small planes, surfed, scuba dived and traveled around quite a lot in my younger years. While they were all fun, they also cost lots of money.

Orson Wells once said that if he had a hobby that did not bring him money, he would find another hobby.

My hobby is bartering and horse trading; it brings me so much more than money that it is impossible to fully convey. This is why I write to encourage others to join me in this world of its own.

And in closing, I would like to say that your bartering and horse trading abilities will become a most valuable asset when this fiat paper currency collapses. Fiat currency represents value only in the minds of the citizenry. When their minds change, lookout !

Buying at retail is for those who lack imagination.

Best wishes,

Agnut

It was in the early days of the settlement of the Pilgrims when the Indian chief said to the settlers that they were welcome to the bounty of this new America. When asked what the settlers thought about the Indians, the leader said “We have our reservations”. That answer wasn’t fully understood for hundreds of years.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agnut For This Useful Post:

govcheetos (29th September 2014),mick silver (4th October 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

Cool Re: Bartering And Horse Trading (Part Duh)

Trailers are seasonal.

I think a person could make some money buying them in the winter & off-season, a 2 axle with brakes for $1200.

Lowest price I've seen for a 2 axle was $600 at a garage sale. I don't remember about the brakes.

In the summer, people will pay $2000 for a clean 2 axle trailer no problem. If they have a need, they'll pay it. If you take American Express ...

I know that seems kind of un-prepper but money is money.
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gunDriller View Post
    I know that seems kind of un-prepper but money is money.
    You sure about that Gundriller?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,010 Times in 2,836 Posts

the trailer i need is a fifth wheel one and they are never cheap even the used ones it need to haul close to 10.000 pounds , dam agnut it look like your the finding good deal still . hell next week I may drive the tractor home it only about 20 miles , I can see it how . are I may just see if a bud got the time to haul , but he's working his ass off right now and I don't like to ask anyone to do this when I know he will be slow in a month are so. you guys be safe and keep up looking for the deals . time is short . mick
    “Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is.” ~ Outlaw Josey Wales…

STOP F*CKING WITH US.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mick silver For This Useful Post:

agnut (10th October 2014),govcheetos (7th October 2014)

Thanks

Mick, go to an army surplus store, buy some combat camo, and drive it home. Be sure to have a slow moving vehicle triangle on the back. My only worry would be wearing out the tires on the pavement.

When you do find your trailer it sounds like it could be a money maker if you watch the CDL rules.

Picked up a 205/75/14D trailer tire for $2, 3/4 of the tread left. Autographed copy of Randy Weever's book for 25 cents! Lady I worked the lawn mower deal with threw in a side walk edger and a 5 gal and 2 gal gas can full of gas on the deal for no additional charge. She's talking to me about her upright craftsman tool chest, wants to pick out a few basic tools and sell me the rest so she doesn't have to move it. Have a feeling I'll be able to trade this one out too. Got a connection with a maintenance guy at an apt complex for appliances. They trade these things out every so often whether they are working or not. I buy the working stoves and refrigerators for $75. Most are better than anything you'd find at a scratch and dent sale, and way better than the used appliance stores. Storing these with a friend of mine for replacements in rental units. The cheapest fridge in Home Depot is $498 and not as nice or big as these. Not to mention we have them on hand for immeadiate replacement and don't have to make time to go to the store for one when one goes down.

If you trade on craigslist, be careful. Heard a story about a guy selling a xbox and got shot and killed by a couple who had planned on just stealing it from him. I'm wary of having anyone come by the place I don't know, and will meet people at a public place a lot. Only problem is the BSer's and the no shows, but better than having strangers at your place seeing what you have and coming back later.

Everyone be safe and keep in mind whats important for later!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to govcheetos For This Useful Post:

agnut (11th October 2014),mick silver (9th October 2014)