Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Bartering And Horse Trading (Part Duh)

Iridium
    Thanks

Re: Bartering And Horse Trading (Part Duh)

How to Find the Hidden Cash in Your Attic

As certainly as your kids will wake up at 5 a.m. on Christmas, sometime during your annual holiday pilgrimage home, your mother will say, "I do wish you'd go through those boxes in the attic." Maybe this year, you shouldn't fight her. In fact, help her sell all that stuff -- it could be lucrative.

With thrifty consumers on the lookout for quality used goods, they're hitting estate sales -- and spending more money. Bargain hunters are spending about 15 to 25% more at estate sales now, compared to a year ago, estimates Caring Transitions, a company that manages estate sales and relocation around the country. Nationwide Estate Sales, a similar company, pegs the increase at around 10 to 15%, or more. Buyers are paying more per item, says John Buckles, president of Caring Transitions, and if they have to return to collect their first purchase, they often buy more. "We hadn't really seen that before," he said.

Good timing. And not just because it's family pilgrimage time. There are 2.1 million baby boomers with a house on the market today, according to the National Association of Realtors, making up 40% of all home sellers. Many are selling a family home in favor of smaller, more manageable abodes -- which means they have years worth of furniture, books, games and knick-knacks to divest.

Of course, it can be hard to tell what's worth the effort, and unless your childhood home was a trove of fine art and rare books, this process won't make you rich. Consider: Even the prized possessions presented on PBS' "Antiques Roadshow" are typically valued at less than $500, says Marsha Bemko, executive producer of the show. And many of the items that were hot a few years ago -- like shabby chic furniture and Beanie Babies -- won't fetch the kind of cash they once commanded. Still, done properly, an estate sale could cover the cost of a move and then some: A typical sale might yield up to $7,000, says Lori Tucci, an appraiser at Los-Angeles-based Estate Sale Angels.

SmartMoney asked the experts how down-sizers can make the most money -- when they should bargain hard, when they should take the best offer they can get, and what items to give away. Here's what we found in four popular categories:

Furniture

Bargain hard: Mid-century modern furniture from the '50s and '60s is especially popular, says Tucci. A mid-century modern buffet that sold for $75 or $100 earlier this decade, for example, could now sell for $300 to $400, adds Christine Acosta, who co-founded Key Estate Sales, a Chicago-based estate sale company, with her husband.

Take the best offer: Everyday furniture like couches, chairs and coffee tables may sell, especially if the pieces are light wood, aren't chunky and less than five years old. A couch in good condition might fetch a few hundred dollars through a site like Craigslist -- more if its leather.

Free with purchase: Wall-mounted televisions have rendered most entertainment centers obsolete, and mattresses and bedding have never sold well, experts agree. And clunky, dark-wood pieces like traditional dining and bedroom sets just aren't in style right now.

Clothing

Bargain hard: Expect high prices for couture brands like Chanel and Gucci - especially vintage pieces -- as well as other high-quality vintage from the 40s and 60s. Buyers have also been snapping up finely made vintage fur capes this season, which can fetch up to $500, says Lauren Houdlett, founder of accessories label Fat Baby Deer.

Take the best offer: Even if your pieces don't meet the quality standards of an exacting vintage connoisseur, clothing in good condition from retro-hip eras like the '40s, '60s, or '80s will still sell, says Brian Elenson, owner of 2MuchStuff4Me, a New York-based estate- and garage-sale company. And Native-American style pieces are popular too, Houdlett says -- for now.

Free with purchase: Mass-produced items from large chain stores like GAP or L.L. Bean are usually destined for Goodwill, or the smock-box at a local school. Same goes for anything heavily stained, sweatshirts, or sweatpants.

Books and Records

Bargain hard: If you have first- or limited-edition books, or copies signed by the author, have them appraised before you put them on a table with the Prince of Tides. Something like a limited edition, leather-bound book of Tennessee Williams plays could bring in hundreds, as can leather-bound series, especially Franklin Library books -- the company produced collector-edition books, often of classics. For LPs, look for things like more obscure Rolling Stones and Beatles records in their original sleeve and un-scratched, says Tucci. You could sell one of these for about $500.

Take the best offer: Individual leather-bound books, especially of the classics, are often worth your time to sell. So are LPs by jazz greats or by bands that were popular in the 60s, as long as they're in good condition and in their original sleeve.

Free with purchase: Most paperbacks fetch about a dollar or less and mass-produced hardbacks sell for a few bucks -- if they're not damaged. LPs that are heavily scratched or aren't in their original sleeve likely won't get more than a few bucks, if anything. Your old cassettes and CDs are a tough sell these days too, as digital music downloads have taken off.

Collectibles

Bargain hard: Porcelain dolls, tin toys made between the '20s and '40s, and many toys popular with the baby boomers -- a complete Lionel train set, say, or Mattel's Herman Munster doll -- can be lucrative, says Acosta. Also hot: Vintage movie posters; coin collections, ; and vintage cameras in good condition made by companies like Carl Zeiss and Leica from the turn of the century until aboutthe 1970s.

Take the best offer: Even baby boomer toys in imperfect condition are worth selling, as are complete coin collections, especially those that feature gold coins even those that aren't especially rare, because of their nostalgia factor. Contemporary art is popular right now, as is local art, so a painting that features an iconic building or landmark in your community may sell well in your area.

Free with purchase: Buyers don't care much for most collectors plates with dates -- the kind where you'd get a plate each month in the mail with a date on it -- especially if the collection is incomplete, says Tucci. And the kitsch bloom has worn off velvet paintings or 80s pastel, floral and landscape paintings and prints.

And Don't Forget About ...

Family snapshots and video: Stock photography and film companies may buy home movies -- 8mm, super-8mm and 16mm versions -- and photos that include an iconic event or a famous person -- even if your grandma is in the photo, too. "You can sometimes make hundreds of dollars from these things," says Tucci.

Silverware and china: With the price of silver at historic levels, sterling silver flatware is extra valuable right now. But "even silver-plate and stainless flatware will sell simply because it is an item that everyone can use," says Acosta says. Most silver-plate flatware sets sell for $40 to $75; sterling flatware sets for $500 to $1200 or more.

Items from the garage: Tools sell particularly well, says Elenson, because they're easy for buyers to carry home and pricey when purchased new. Old bicycles are in high demand, and that old three-speed cruiser in particular: In good condition, you could sell it for $100 or more.

link

especially those that feature gold coins Gee, you think??
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint - Isaiah 40:31

Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. ~
    Matthew 7:7

geoengineeringwatch.org

Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 1,398 Posts

Bad advice in that last one. That market does not exist around me.

Silverware and china: With the price of silver at historic levels, sterling silver flatware is extra valuable right now. But "even silver-plate and stainless flatware will sell simply because it is an item that everyone can use," says Acosta says. Most silver-plate flatware sets sell for $40 to $75; sterling flatware sets for $500 to $1200 or more.
    Plated silver is practically thrown away. Some of it has copper underneath so I value those by copper weight. Some is nickel. If someone is asking full price of sterling, I am probably not going to buy.

Items from the garage: Tools sell particularly well, says Elenson, because they're easy for buyers to carry home and pricey when purchased new. Old bicycles are in high demand, and that old three-speed cruiser in particular: In good condition, you could sell it for $100 or more.
    I find 10 & 15 speed bikes in excellent condition for $40. Tools are real steal deals... 10% of new retail cost.
    SPECTRISM time countdown2025

Silver
    Thanks

Ok Agnut,

lots of good deals and interesting finds since the last time i checked in with you!

For starters i just had my first kid, born last week. I made a list of everything i think she will need for the next 3 years and went garage sailing this past summer before she was born. My wife and i made a game out of it. I cleaned this lady out of 64 cloth diapers and inserts for $100, didnt even bargain as it was already a good deal. Dont know if you realize these cloth diapers are about $15-$20 a piece. It would cost me over $1200 a year just for disposables. Bought her a nice used crib 3 years old for $40, checked it at babiesrus and they still sell the same model for $250. Also picked up a nice all in one car seat and stroller for $40, sells at cosco for $300. spent about another $50 on cloths that will last her until the age of three. Baby items are so abundant and cheep at garage sales i dont know why more people dont take advantage. My wife made a bunch of washable rags from old shirts, we also make are own spray to clean her ass. My wifes milk came in so i dont have to worry about food for at least a year. Our goal is to spend as little on "things" for her as possible, this will allow us to continue to save 50%-60% of our income.

Here are my thoughts on this. I have noticed a lot of first time parents with brand new everything, this is where pride comes into play. My kid is better than your kid, BS! My child will not remember the gucci she wore at the age of 2 or 3, however she will remember the good times, and good times she will have.

Over the years, i have found the best way to garage sale for the home is to make a list of things you need on a weekly or monthly bases. When the weekend roles around search craigslist for the specific items that you are looking for instead of hitting random sales. Like pellets for the winter, i always try to buy as many as i can in the summer and often get them for $2 a bag, thats half off. At times i have even found food like lentils ect.. If you are determined enough, almost all of ones shopping can be done like this. We live in a convenience based world, take a little convenience out and you can save lots of $$$$

Good to see your around!

Cheers
    Be cool,<br />Answer2me

Thanks

Yeah I never understood why ppl would buy brand new anything for babies. I used to laugh when my science teacher in HS would buy little Air Jordans for his 2 month old. Then he would have to buy new ones in a few months when he grew out of the old ones. Some ppl have more money than they know what to do with.

Near our home in L.A. there was a second-hand baby/child store. All things were for kids 0 - 5y/o. It was in a pretty nice neighborhood. There were brand new cribs and nursery furniture for less than $50! I always thought, if we had gotten pregnant while living there, I'd be set as far as having to buy anything for the baby or it's room. That place was awesome! LOTS of new stuff for cheeeap.... Like garagesale cheap. They even had nice maternity clothes for the mom!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNocturnalEgyptian View Post
    Be polite to everyone you meet, but have a plan to attack them just in case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpo
    What can religion do ...............send people mad,crazy and make people kill.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by muffin
    Quote Originally Posted by agnut
    It sounds like you have a great wife and family there; with so many barterer and horse traders you all will be able to make your dollars stretch to the breaking point. I suggest that you each put together a list of your wants and needs. And share copies to each other. This way, when any one of you are out there on the hunt you will be the eyes and ears for each other - thus multiplying the odds of finding what you need. I even pay a finder’s fee for some items; this has made me deals and money that I otherwise would not have ever known about.
    Hi, mouse's wife here. This point is a good one. I learned from a Philipino friend to always keep a list of items that are needed and any measurements in my purse at all times. Because you never know when you come across something that you could use but you don't know the size you need or etc. We were always hitting up sales or the local outdoor fleamarket (oh how I miss that place).

Also, let others know what you might be looking for, especially if they do alot more garagesaling than you do. My mom loooooves to go to estate sales and garage sales. And she is the expert bargain hunter. I tell her what I'm looking for and in about a month she has one in excellent shape for pennies on the dollar. Bless her soul, she usually just gives it to me and won't let me pay her for it because it cost her so little. Alot of the time, I just mention to her what I've been wanting and she'll say "Well, hunny, I have one of those in storage. Let me get it for you!" I have been wanting a stand mixer. I said something to her about it. She apparently got one years ago at a garage sale for $5. Albeit, it's about 30 years old but she's used it many times and it works like a charm! It's mine the next time I see her I wish everyone could be blessed with a mom like her. She has been an inspiration and the best mom ever.

Hi muffin and welcome. You and Mouse are the first husband wife team here on this thread. A force to be reckoned with when swooping down on a garage or estate sale. I think that a husband wife team who garage and estate sale is one of the best things to cement a relationship. Always something happening new and unexpected, so that the many years of marriage are kept alive and vibrant. Not everything but just another facet of the gem of a brilliant marriage. Boy, I am getting to wax poetical here. Better stop before members label me a “metrosexual”. HaHa

Good idea on the measurements list. I take a 6 foot tape measure with me as well as a magnifying glass for reading small words like “sterling silver” or “14 K”.

Like you I also have a list of things that my friends and family are looking for. A few months ago my sister said that she wanted an entryway bench for putting on and taking off shoes. Can you believe that the very next time I was out garage sailing, a short church pew showed up. It was made of solid hardwood and in perfect condition (no hearts and initials carved into it). The seller wanted $150; I offered $50 and he didn’t even haggle but accepted my offer. I took it over to my sister’s house and she was (and still is) thrilled with it.

I believe that there is more to this deal making than meets the eye, much more valuable than the deal itself. Sure, my sister got a bench that she probably otherwise would have not found. That’s a given but every time she looks at that bench she may think of me and my helping her attain a desire. Can you put a value on helping another ? Of course you can; but the heart doesn’t measure in dollars and cents. The heart measures in care and love shared.

I wrote of this in my last post :

“Trading with your neighbors is somewhat different than buying at a garage or estate sale. Your neighbors are like extended family. Trading with neighbors is less cut and dried and generosity in what you give in the deal is a reflection of you character and regard for them. It can be a beautiful thing which cements a community together. “

Life is chock full of uncertainties; to solve some of these uncertainties for others is one of the most satisfying activities we can do. What goes around comes around. I don’t expect rewards in return; the act of helping others is its own reward. However, don’t be surprised when you do receive wonderful things coming around to you ! That’s just the way it works as I’ve discovered. This is probably the greatest benefit of bartering and horse trading. Sure, I write of the deals I make but this is only to illustrate the fabulous (not gay here) amounts of money saved and to encourage others to do likewise.

Folks who a become deeply immersed in bartering and horse trading should take full advantage of this looking for items for friends and family. For example, a friend’s favorite actor is Jack Nicholson and his favorite movie is “The Shining”. Several months ago I was out garage sailing and spotted a hardbound edition of The Shining; I got it for 50 cents. My friend was happily surprised; it made my day. So what is 50 cents in the whole scheme of life ? It’s like getting two bargains at the same time ! HaHa

When I reflect on my past years of dealings, the ones I remember best are the ones where I made someone happy. Not only friends or family but also those who I bought from and sold to. As I have written in the past, bartering and horse trading is a way of life. My hope is that others will understand the fullness of it and become as pleased with it as I have.

Muffin, sounds like your mom has been doing the above for some time. Shows heart and caring for you, doesn’t it ? And that can’t be quantified or bought with mere money.

I have made some deals since I last posted and will write of them soon. To me, its like Christmas morning happening throughout the year.

Best wishes,

Agnut

P.S. I like your avatar. I could spin you a yarn but I’m sure your husband surely wouldn’t want to trade it for his tools.

Children were what parents watched before there was television.
    agnut

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrism
    Great advice Agnut.

Mouse- I like the soft touch and summary Agnut gave and that you are using. Neighbors are like friends within the walls of the castle that you all may need to defend together. That is not the place to strike the best bargains but rather an easy exchange of value.

In yard sales, you are shopping among strangers (mostly) and for all you know, the item that they sell to you for $10 they may have bought last week for $5. I like to be a complete unknown when I buy- whether its silver, supplies or ammo.

In the neighborhood, you share your capabilities in a more communal cooperation. If you have reasonable neighbors, you have much wealth there.
    Hi spectrism, I responded to muffin about these personal relationships and how the “profits” are different than dealing with strangers.

As an aside, here’s the year 2010 record precious metal performance as posted by Vronsky of the Gold-Eagle website :

Palladium.......................+96%
    Silver..........................+83%
    Gold............................+30%
    Platinum........................+20%
    Dow Stocks Index................+11%

“Expect something similar in 2011.”
    Vronsky

I have been thinking about the great rise in silver spot prices and what it means for us who hold physical silver.

Should we sell some of our silver now that it has increased so much lately ?

Perhaps a flagon of Shakespeare would set a pace for our consideration :

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
    Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
    And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
    No more; and by a sleep to say we end
    The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
    That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
    Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
    To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
    For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
    When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
    Must give us pause: there's the respect
    That makes calamity of so long life;
    For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
    The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
    The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
    The insolence of office and the spurns
    That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
    When he himself might his quietus make
    With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
    To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
    But that the dread of something after death,
    The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
    No traveller returns, puzzles the will
    And makes us rather bear those ills we have
    Than fly to others that we know not of?
    Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
    And thus the native hue of resolution
    Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
    And enterprises of great pith and moment
    With this regard their currents turn awry,
    And lose the name of action. - Soft you now!
    The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
    Be all my sins remember'd.

To sell or not to sell……That is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the minds of men…blah, blah, blah.

Forget “suffering the slings and arrows” of critics of your actions; we all will come to the point wherein we seriously consider whether we would be better off in the long run to sell some of our silver for physical assets. Don’t think so ? Well, what if silver were to rise to $200 per ounce amid an environment of falling prices for cars, houses, land, etc ?

This most assuredly is not a simple decision and it will dramatically affect one’s future. Many factors would be involved such as the need for the physical items, their potential for growth in future value, the relative amount of ounces of silver someone has, perception of further silver price increases relative to purchasing power, and so on.

And I’m not just talking about silver here; this thinking covers ALL items over which we have possession/ownership. For instance, a spare pickup truck may be sold in order to buy silver right now at about $30 per ounce. That is, if we have confidence that silver prices will soon increase in purchasing power. Or we may decide to buy a high miles per gallon car in anticipation of skyrocketing fuel prices. There are many decisions to make (even not selling any silver is a decision in itself). If I had bought silver in 2000 for $5 per ounce with the current price at $30 (a 500% profit), I would not sell now unless I had no other alternative. Lately there have been articles predicting $200 and $500 per ounce silver. That’s a nice thought but what if a loaf of bread costs $50 at that same time in the future ?

The same thing holds true for my thousands of vinyl records. Even though I may be able to sell them for $1 each now, I am waiting for them to become more in demand which will drive their price up. Like so many collectables, there is a time in which they have almost no demand and therefore no value. This is the time to buy and enjoy them and wait. At an average purchase price of about 10 cents each, I don’t have much invested. Some catalog out as high as $100 but I only use that as an indicator of their relative demand and scarcity.

So what deals have I made lately ?

My son told me about a 1981 Datsun diesel pickup truck that was on Craigslist. It was only a few miles away so I called him and immediately went over for a looksee. The body had some rust on a door and a sheet metal front lower panel but the rest looked okay. It hadn’t been started in 6 months so the owner put a charged battery in it and it fired up the first try. You can’t do that with a gas car as gas will gum up the carburetor or injectors and will turn to varnish if allowed to sit for 6 months.

My son and I took it for a drive and the engine was smooth running as well as the 5 speed transmission. All the lights work as well as the clutch and brakes. He wanted $600 but agreed on my offer of $400 without quibbling. It is now parked by the orchard and currently registered, waiting until I have time to service it and insure it.

It’s a bit ugly but I have learned to not care as long as it does the job for me. I’m not out to impress anybody. Not really true; I’m out to impress readers with my practicality over costly ego driven decisions. I hope you will think about this when you make future decisions.

I have had two of these Datsun diesel pickup trucks in the past and they have always been reliable and gotten great miles per gallon.

Years ago I wrote that we are in the process of moving from form to function. So forget the sleek form of a new car and get the most functional transportation you can find. Leave your ego at the door; it has no place in the future. After all, who would you be impressing with a new car or big house ? Financial morons, that’s who !

Anyhoo, I really like these early Datsun diesel pickup trucks. They are very cheap, run just about forever, get great MPG, and the diesel fuel can be stored for a long time.

Next deal was for 24 deep cycle Trojan T-105 6 volt batteries. They cost about $170 new with tax. I bargained for them and got them for $40 each. The seller threw in the battery connectors and Zener diode charge balancers, worth about $300. My problem is that I put the cart before the horse; I don’t have a charger to keep them in shape and don’t know what to buy to keep the whole bank up and running until I find the inverter and build a place for them. Maybe a large roll around cart would work for now. The batteries weigh 1,500 pounds total. So I have spent almost $1,000 and now have to get all the other gadgets to make them run my household. I told Ponce about this deal and he said that it was a deal I couldn’t refuse at that price. Oh well, I’ll let you know as I muddle through with this project.

By the way, I may not get an array of solar panels but rather run a diesel generator to recharge the batteries. However, a couple of solar panels may be necessary to keep them topped off. If I am right, a diesel generator run with mostly used engine oil would be very cost efficient.

Best wishes,

agnut

P.S.
    Here’s a word to the wise from LoupGarou of timebomb2000 website :

GO GRAY,
    DRESS DOWN,
    DON'T
    STICK OUT!

Do NOT wear anything that looks more expensive than the LOWER 50% of the population of the places that you are going. In fact, the LOWER you can go BELOW that point, the less chance that ANYBODY will bother you. Times are bad, REAL BAD. Some people may not realize that (like this person), and will pay the price for it. I know that many people are believing the pablum BS that the news media is spewing out that says that things are getting better and everything is OK. DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT. In normal times, dressing down is a good idea. Now it is probably what is going to save your life.

These people that are going to start resorting more and more to crime are "the entitled", whether on welfare, or have been a small time criminal, or was a person that lived WELL past their means and is now in serious trouble. This will only get worse, as more and more people fall into one of these three groups and believe that they are "entitled" to other's wealth. And it's going to get worse exponentially.

Get prepped, get smart, and practice SA harder and harder, and make SURE that you always dress down. And if all you have is higher end cars, you might want to think about getting "a beater" to drive into town on. $500 buys you a good one, and it will get you past places that are going to get worse and worse.

Welcome to "Hope and Change"...

Loup

Iridium
    Thanks

and practice SA harder and harder
    What is practicing SA?
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint - Isaiah 40:31

Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. ~

geoengineeringwatch.org

Iridium
    Thanks

Wondering if it's "Situational Awareness"??

geoengineeringwatch.org

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MNeagle
    Wondering if it's "Situational Awareness"??
    Hi MNeagle and thanks. I was wondering myself. You can’t believe all the Stupid Ass things I came up with.

Best wishes,

Agnut

By the way, I’m trying my best (such as it is) to answer posts in the order in which they are received.

For some reason in the last couple of months I’ve been inundated with an overload of events happening around the world and daily tasks here on the “ranch“. So my apologies for not having written.

Lately I’ve seen a lot of infighting between members here and it saddens me. I take the viewpoint that we members are here to learn as well as teach. I am doing my best to bring to the table what skills I have. We at GS-US have a constant flow of new readers and potential members and they are forming their opinions of what we are and have to offer them. When posting, we should always be mindful of that. Are we building up or tearing down ? Are we inviting new members and readers or scaring them away ?

Always remember that we have history on our side of what is and what is NOT money. This should be our focal point around which all other actions and reactions revolve.

This “experiment” of worldwide fiat currency will fail as it has failed hundreds of times in the past. It has NEVER succeeded once and this time it will be the mother of all failures since fiat currency is a worldwide phenomenon for the first time in history !

Iridium
    Thanks

Well welcome back Agnut, your wisdom has been greatly missed.

Post when you're able.

geoengineeringwatch.org