Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Bartering And Horse Trading (Part Duh)

Thanks

Re: Bartering And Horse Trading (Part Duh)

Good to hear from yall. I picked up a 21 inch snapper self propelled hi vac mower for 20 bucks, needs the recoil starter fixed, otherwise in great shape. Probably a 400-600 dollar mower retail. Got a line on a 14 foot Hobie cat with glavanized trailer a guy just wants gone. I'll swap out any good parts on the trailer and flip it on craigslist after I decide on a price, been a few years since I've seen it. Even if its junk the trailer is probably worth 250-350. Made another connection with an apartment maintainence guy. Can get used appliances for free now if I come and get them. I had been paying 75 -100 to my other guy. Gonna put them on craigslist for cheap, up to my ears in old appliances now, thing is they ALL work and look as decent as anything you'd have in your home. Got back ups for me, my family and a bunch for rentals. Any junk ones I'll just fill up with scrap and take to the recycler. The wife and I decorated our Christmas tree and I'll bet 80 percent of the ornaments she picked up at garage/estate sales. We're considering getting a booth at a local antique mall to sell some of the finds. They charge 200-250 per month rent, plus 15 percent of sales. I'd rather not pay that much, but it might make us a little without too much more work. Any other have any experience with that sort of thing? I've also considered getting a small single axle enclosed trailer and using it to set up a booth at the local flea market, lots cheaper, only thing is you have to be there to do it. Hardly ever have enough time.

Hope everyone is safe and healthy for the Christmas season, and like Mick said keep an eye out and your ear to the ground.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to govcheetos For This Useful Post:

agnut (12th December 2014),mick silver (6th December 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,010 Times in 2,836 Posts

hey govcheetos take one of your big trailer and load up the free appliances and go to the closest scrape yard near you and sale them for scrape . the last one's I took off pay good money If they are free to you .. that's free silver ...... a site for prices on metal to be scraped ...http://www.scrapmonster.com/ ... be safe all mick
    “Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is.” ~ Outlaw Josey Wales…

STOP F*CKING WITH US.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mick silver For This Useful Post:

agnut (12th December 2014),govcheetos (7th December 2014)

Thanks

Most all of them still work! I've stockpiled a bunch for replacements, and am gonna be selling the other working ones on craigslist. The junk ones will go to the scrap yard. Speaking of scraping, I picked up some more 96 gallon commercial trash cans with the big wheels on them. My connection at the dump saved them for me. Using them for scrap metal to keep it out of the rain and the leaves and crud from getting mixed in. Plus will keep the small scrap out of sight and easier to manuver. Have 6 total. Also picked up some old electric motors a guy was throwing out, probably weigh 50 pounds each. Sold a bunch more barrels this weekend. They go in spurts, nothing selling then a bunch all at once. I try not to have more than 10-12 at one time because of the space they take up plus they are noticable being bright blue. Still working on getting rid of some stuff. If it's not a commodity, something I really like and enjoy having, or something producing and earning its keep I want to move it on for something that fits somewhere in those parameters.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to govcheetos For This Useful Post:

agnut (12th December 2014),mick silver (7th December 2014)

Thanks

Hi all. Got a problem that has been haunting me for some time. Two couples who are dear to me are contemplating buying houses. I have spoken to both of them but the subject is fraught with so much emotionalism and uncertainty that to fully broach the subject in all its ramifications is almost too much for them to absorb in a businesslike manner.

Years ago I came up with an “advice matrix”. It goes like this.

1. I give bad advice and they take it. Now they are angry at having taken my bad advice.
    2. I give bad advice and they do not take it. Now they think I am a fool whose advice would have hurt them.
    3. I give good advice and they do not take it. They are hurt, realizing that they should have listened to me. Resentment and rationalization come to the fore.
    4. I give good advice and they take it. They are bettered by having taken my advice. They either appreciate my advice or deny that they had taken my advice. Don’t disbelieve that they can deny my good advice’s helping their situation; it had happened to me in the past more than once.

So in #1 they are angry. In #2 they think me a fool. In #3 they are resentful with rationalizations. In #4 they can either be grateful for my advice or deny that my advice guided them to safety.

As you can see, only #4 has the potential for a win-win outcome. So even good advice taken isn’t a sure thing.

So why advise others in the first place ? The answer is that seeing friends and family facing potential catastrophe would be painful if I were to say nothing. And I would have to carry that knowledge that I didn’t make them aware of the dangers.

Sadly, we are playing on a shifting field these days. We are aware of all the monetary manipulations going on which make the odds of a correct assessment nigh impossible. For instance, what of the looming potential for a massive bail-in occurring ? These recent articles spells it out :

http://ellenbrown.com/2014/12/01/new...-and-pensions/

Big Banks Will Take Depositors Money In Next Crash

http://usawatchdog.com/big-banks-wil...h-ellen-brown/

These two couples have money in the bank which I have already advised to withdraw and hold either cash or physical silver. One couple has a great deal of money in the bank and have told me that it would be difficult to withdraw so much money. I have told them why; it is because of fractional reserve banking wherein their money in the bank is actually not there but in various investments such as stocks, bonds, real estate and possibly derivatives. Probably only 1 or 2 percent of deposits are in the bank for day to day transactions. Telling this fact is always received with shock and confusion. The general populace is oblivious as to the precariousness of their banking security.

Couple one is paying $1,550 per month rent. They estimate that if they buy a house with $20K down, their mortgage payment will be about $800. They would save about $750 per month, $9,000 per year. In two years and two months they would break even if they were unable to continue paying the mortgage and have to walk away for one reason or another. That is their reasoning and I have to admit that it does make some sense. The only fly in the ointment is what the future holds within that 2 years.

Couple #2 is looking at buying acreage and building a house. They have enough money to pay in full and have no mortgage.

The overview here is whether holding cash or spending the cash on a house will be the better option. Time passing with all the potential changes that will take place will be like living on the side of a volcano, never knowing if there will be a catastrophe tomorrow or in a hundred years.

I have advised both of these friends that instead of buying a property right now (which may crash in the near future) to instead buy physical silver. The potential increase might make a world of difference. But nothing is 100% assured; we places our bets and takes our chances.

Best wishes,

Agnut

Iridium
    Thanks

A secure home is top priority for me; landlords can get flaky in a flash. Why not compromise? A home w/ a (low fixed rate) mortgage, & some silver?
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint - Isaiah 40:31

Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. ~
    Matthew 7:7

geoengineeringwatch.org

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MNeagle For This Useful Post:

agnut (3rd January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,956 Times in 4,576 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by agnut View Post
    Hi all. Got a problem that has been haunting me for some time. Two couples who are dear to me are contemplating buying houses. I have spoken to both of them but the subject is fraught with so much emotionalism and uncertainty that to fully broach the subject in all its ramifications is almost too much for them to absorb in a businesslike manner.

Years ago I came up with an “advice matrix”. It goes like this.

1. I give bad advice and they take it. Now they are angry at having taken my bad advice.
    2. I give bad advice and they do not take it. Now they think I am a fool whose advice would have hurt them.
    3. I give good advice and they do not take it. They are hurt, realizing that they should have listened to me. Resentment and rationalization come to the fore.
    4. I give good advice and they take it. They are bettered by having taken my advice. They either appreciate my advice or deny that they had taken my advice. Don’t disbelieve that they can deny my good advice’s helping their situation; it had happened to me in the past more than once.

So in #1 they are angry. In #2 they think me a fool. In #3 they are resentful with rationalizations. In #4 they can either be grateful for my advice or deny that my advice guided them to safety.

As you can see, only #4 has the potential for a win-win outcome. So even good advice taken isn’t a sure thing.

So why advise others in the first place ? The answer is that seeing friends and family facing potential catastrophe would be painful if I were to say nothing. And I would have to carry that knowledge that I didn’t make them aware of the dangers.

Sadly, we are playing on a shifting field these days. We are aware of all the monetary manipulations going on which make the odds of a correct assessment nigh impossible. For instance, what of the looming potential for a massive bail-in occurring ? These recent articles spells it out :

http://ellenbrown.com/2014/12/01/new...-and-pensions/

Big Banks Will Take Depositors Money In Next Crash

http://usawatchdog.com/big-banks-wil...h-ellen-brown/

These two couples have money in the bank which I have already advised to withdraw and hold either cash or physical silver. One couple has a great deal of money in the bank and have told me that it would be difficult to withdraw so much money. I have told them why; it is because of fractional reserve banking wherein their money in the bank is actually not there but in various investments such as stocks, bonds, real estate and possibly derivatives. Probably only 1 or 2 percent of deposits are in the bank for day to day transactions. Telling this fact is always received with shock and confusion. The general populace is oblivious as to the precariousness of their banking security.

Couple one is paying $1,550 per month rent. They estimate that if they buy a house with $20K down, their mortgage payment will be about $800. They would save about $750 per month, $9,000 per year. In two years and two months they would break even if they were unable to continue paying the mortgage and have to walk away for one reason or another. That is their reasoning and I have to admit that it does make some sense. The only fly in the ointment is what the future holds within that 2 years.

Couple #2 is looking at buying acreage and building a house. They have enough money to pay in full and have no mortgage.

The overview here is whether holding cash or spending the cash on a house will be the better option. Time passing with all the potential changes that will take place will be like living on the side of a volcano, never knowing if there will be a catastrophe tomorrow or in a hundred years.

I have advised both of these friends that instead of buying a property right now (which may crash in the near future) to instead buy physical silver. The potential increase might make a world of difference. But nothing is 100% assured; we places our bets and takes our chances.

Best wishes,

Agnut
    Ditto on the flaky landlords! I would not want to rent.
    What state are we talking about? I wouldn't want to buy a home in a terrible state like New York.
    DON'T TAKE THE VACCINE!

THE SHIT HAS HIT THE FAN!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EE_ For This Useful Post:

agnut (3rd January 2015)

Thanks

I hate the thought of someone literally signing their life away, but most these days don't have the means to do it any other way. Also depends on a lot of things. The amount involved, their ages, are they secure in good jobs/careers that are gonna be arond, are they truth minded about all the crap going on in the world, Are they buying a house they can stay in for a long time, decent area, land, quality construction, etc? I have bought and sold real estate and so far have always come out ahead, sometimes you have to adjust to the shifting playing field though. Its not a short term investment despite what you see certain flippers doing. If they are going to finance I like a 30 year fixed with low interest, the biggest down payment possible while still having some folding money around, no early pay off penalties, and paying the thing off in 7-8 years. You can do it, if you can't change your lifestyle so you can. Might be worth going without what society calls necessities to get out from under the clutches of a bank. (Actually it's definantly worth it.) Get out there and hustle some leads too. Find something you have an eye or knack for and use it to propel yourself forward. Always constant forward motion.

Always keep in mind the meaning of the root word of mortgage too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to govcheetos For This Useful Post:

agnut (3rd January 2015)

Thanks

I posted this somewhere else and thought it might be helpful in the B&H thread.

I’m old school so don’t go by me.

A year and a half ago I cut out my Comcast TV cable but kept the phone and high speed internet. I save $120 a month.

So where does that $120 a month go now ? It goes to buy used DVDs from 50 cents to $2. Hmmm… at 50 cents each would be 240 DVDs per month. And at the extreme high of $2 each would only be a dismal 60 used DVDs per month. So at the very worst case scenario I would have 2 movies to watch every night.

I have even picked up several whole season sets and series for $2 each. I just watched the first season of “Fringe”; 7 DVDs in the set. Over 15 hours of commercial free entertainment.

While at an estate sale a few months ago I got 109 DVDs for 50 cents each. Some were multi disc sets too.

At the same time I’ve been accumulating a library of great movies; I have over a thousand now and counting. And after viewing, these DVDs can be sold at a garage sale for as much or more than I paid.

The best part ? NO COMMERCIALS ! My son and I are allergic to commercials; makes my skin crawl.

Where to get ‘em ? Pawn shops, thrift stores, garage sales, estate sales. Even Craigslist and eBay have DVD collections that can be bought in bulk for a good price.

For Christmas I sent 12 DVD duplicates to my ex and daughters along with some designer purses. Only trouble was that the ground shipping was $42. Next year I send money with the additional shipping too. Lesson learned. Successfully bypassing inordinately expensive activities is a passive defense of the pocketbook.

I do have a long range plan which is to continue accumulating more and then someday have a “video store” at home for trading and sharing. Although the Blue Ray picture quality is better, I see no good reason to collect them; they cost more new and also much more used.

If we want to watch Big Bang Theory or Mike And Molly we can get it free off the internet. And the news ? Are you kidding me ? The REAL news is found on the internet, not the MSM.

We might hook up to an outdoor antenna to get some 1080 HD resolution for the flat screens. But no hurry since we are so busy with more pressing matters. Whoops ! Forgot; they have COMMERCIALS ! Never mind….

Best wishes and Happy New Year,

Agnut

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agnut For This Useful Post:

Hillbilly (10th January 2015),mick silver (5th January 2015)

Thanks

Thanks for the housing advice. I’ve had time to think about it and the thought comes up that with a deflationary scenario, silver and gold may fall in price. Of course, with such a possible bottom to silver at $8.50 and gold at $800 as some financial writers have written, I would look like a fool to have recommended buying precious metals at current prices.

We must always be aware that we look at gold and silver as a long term insurance policy as well as a long term profitable investment. Those who we may advise generally don’t think in these terms and would be very upset to see the prices fall. They are thinking only in the here and now and the immediate future.

There are no guarantees that our best advice will be beneficial to others. In these real estate deals I have shared both positives and negatives of their proposals. As I wrote, we are in extremely uncertain times and black swan events happening can throw all logical advice out the window.

I haven’t written much lately because of being so busy with projects and people. The other morning I drove a distance to pick up some boxes and tools for a friend who is out of town. Otherwise she would lose them. While in the area I dropped by a thrift store that specializes in construction materials and appliances. I wanted to visit a friend in the area but had picked up some frozen salmon and crab and had to get it home asap. Although this trip was to help a friend, I was given a full suspension 18 speed bike from another friend while I was down there. All in all it was a crazy day with my plans being changed continually. I even found myself shopping in a market with this friend because he doesn’t have transportation. Did you ever have a day when you felt as though you were just along for the ride even though you were behind the wheel?

I’m supposed to be retired, doggonit ! Just kidding. Being retired is getting to do what I want to do when I want to do it. I know that. When I had a transmission shop I was there 7-6 Monday to Friday. I was obligated to a big chunk of my waking hours. Now my life changes from hour to hour. I float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Best wishes,

Agnut

P.S. Many things are consuming my time and attention. I really appreciate and enjoy your contributions to this thread and hope you will continue to post as you find new adventures in bartering and horse trading. What I’m trying to say is that I will post when I can. In 2 months I will be 68 years old; I’m not the spring chicken I once was and digging trenches, cutting trees for firewood, and moving tons of items has me flopping at day’s end. Not sure if I’m bragging or complaining but it’s all good.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agnut For This Useful Post:

govcheetos (14th January 2015),mick silver (5th January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by agnut View Post

For Christmas I sent 12 DVD duplicates to my ex and daughters along with some designer purses. Only trouble was that the ground shipping was $42. Next year I send money with the additional shipping too. Lesson learned. Successfully bypassing inordinately expensive activities is a passive defense of the pocketbook.

one of the sweet deals for shipping is the USPS Priority Mail flat rate padded envelope.

almost everything you can fit in it, still costs about $6.

$12 for the box.

i've been shipping e-Scrap to a recycler in the Midwest, so it really forces me to mind my shipping $$.
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com