Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Bartering And Horse Trading (Part Duh)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,010 Times in 2,836 Posts

Re: Bartering And Horse Trading (Part Duh)

thanks agnut for your post . we have a small green house I have for some time been thinking about building a bigger one so we could sale vegs plants just so we could add to are silver and help us grow more food in colder parts of the year . now I need to look for some old windows I guess I will be doing some horse trading with someone in the next week are so for the glass to add on .... be safe one and all mick ... ps the world is not getting any safer nor do I see it being any safer in the years to come
    “Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is.” ~ Outlaw Josey Wales…

STOP F*CKING WITH US.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mick silver For This Useful Post:

agnut (26th July 2014),govcheetos (30th July 2014)

Thanks

Hi mick silver. Have you considered getting used sliding glass doors and framing them in to make a greenhouse ? I have 4 doors set aside and could find more if I would only take the time. Check with glass shops and maybe scrap yards. Where do used glass doors when they are replaced ?Some are free and some are $10 for a pair. Don’t know what I will do or how but I still pick up more doors as they show up. Maybe only glass doors facing the sun would save a lot of money. I figure I could build a greenhouse thirty feet by ten feet for under a thousand dollars if my sons and I do the work ourselves. And since we are in the Pacific northwest a couple hours from the Canadian border, we should have a greenhouse to extent the season to grow veggies and additionally save enough money to recoup the cost of materials within a year or two, especially with the veggie prices going through the roof. I’m sure you know how much tastier and healthier home grown veggies are.

Funny, but not until I have an adequate quantity of like materials can I clearly envision how it can all go together to make something in my dreams. When I reach what I call critical mass in acquiring the materials I get itchy to get the job done. These projects don’t get done by themselves….or do they ? At least it seems to me that the gathering of the parts takes on a life of its own after a while.

When you have a Volkswagen beetle and are driving it down the road, you see all the other Volkswagen beetles too. Same is true for focusing on what we are looking for at the GEM sales (that’s garage, estate and moving). Having a want list works for me as well as being open to possibilities for whatever I see. Hey, that rhymes !

Plastic buckets from the local bakery or empty buckets that held Kitty Litter are free and useful for many applications. We have filled about 60 buckets full of redwood pieces I dug out of the ground….so far. Free for the digging; probably saved a couple of hundred bucks. The redwood is going all around the house with brick borders. Mostly done now and it makes the place look like people live here instead of Neanderthals (we‘ve got ‘em fooled now). We recently discovered that 50 or more years ago our area was logged. It must have included redwoods because we are finding old trunks and stumps in the woods. We even have a stump that is over 6 feet across. It is probably rotten and would fall apart if I were to hit it with a shovel. It is so beautiful that I have decided to clear the area around it so that we and visitors could see it by as we drive in and out.

Having acreage in the country is a heckuva lot more work than tending a suburban home but it is worth every drop of blood, sweat and tears. Reminds me, I gotta get the stereo hooked up; three thousand LP albums stacked away are crying to be appreciated. I think I bought the stereo last summer and have yet to hear it. Crazy busy but better than being bored, eh ?

Best wishes,

Agnut

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to agnut For This Useful Post:

govcheetos (30th July 2014),gunDriller (28th July 2014),Libertarian_Guard (27th July 2014),mick silver (2nd August 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

Question Re: Bartering And Horse Trading (Part Duh)

Quote Originally Posted by agnut View Post
    Hi mick silver. Have you considered getting used sliding glass doors and framing them in to make a greenhouse ? I have 4 doors set aside and could find more if I would only take the time. Check with glass shops and maybe scrap yards. Where do used glass doors when they are replaced ?

Best wishes,

Agnut

One idea is to use those sliding glass shower doors. I got 2 identical ones at garage sales, free. They are about 31 inches wide, 4 1/2 feet tall, with the frosted glass. At bathroom supply places, the whole set (with extrusions) is about $175.

I tried selling them on Craigslist. A few nibbles but no bites.

I guess it depends on temps. Maybe in some places it would be better to use double-pane windows. You can get those free at garage sales too, but the chances of getting identical ones free is small. A good design would somehow accomodate varying sizes ... maybe allowing for varying widths, all the same height.
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gunDriller For This Useful Post:

agnut (2nd August 2014),govcheetos (30th July 2014)

Thanks

Hook up with a company or better yet the workers of a company that replaces windows. You can get the old sliding glass doors for free. A friend of mine has a green house eight panels deep and two panels wide. Drilled through the aluminum frames to attach them to 4x4 posts. Even has them set up on a gable roof frame.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to govcheetos For This Useful Post:

agnut (2nd August 2014),mick silver (2nd August 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,010 Times in 2,836 Posts

thanks all ... I have all the glass I need but getting the time is one thing . plus I have all the wood I need for the green house . well this fall I will start work on the house once I am done with all the stuff I have under way right now ...
    “Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is.” ~ Outlaw Josey Wales…

STOP F*CKING WITH US.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mick silver For This Useful Post:

agnut (2nd August 2014),govcheetos (3rd August 2014)

Thanks

Hi all. Am back from an exhausting day of garage sailing. There were three community sales going on in the same general area and I attended them all. It was a lot of looking and a little buying, as it should be. The bargains that stand out are gone if you don’t get there early. I did get a Werner folding ladder for $10. A large remnant of new carpeting for $3; it will be used somewhere someday, no doubt about that. Got an electric smoker for $10. Picked up 8 three year old cedar trees for $4 each. Got 4 DVDs, good stuff. Got 5 vinyl records for $1 each. Got a ½” drill for $10 with hole saw kit. Got a couple of nice hacksaws for $1 each.

I already have most of the above items and got more of them for backups, loaning and trading material. If a tool breaks I just use the spare rather than have to take the time to get dressed, drive to the hardware store, return, change my clothes again and continue the project. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

A few days ago I was picking something up and happened to be in the neighborhood of my favorite thrift store building material outlet. I was looking around, not expecting to find much, when I spied a couple of cans of a clear wood preservative and realized that I would need it for the deck we are supposed to begin building (if the county would cooperate). Anyway, one 6 gallon can was new and unused and the other had a couple of gallons still there. I got them for a total of $7. My carpenter friend said that they would have cost a couple of hundred dollars in the store. I haven’t even bothered to look it up; I just know that $7 is a friggin’ steal. Especially what with our money becoming pricey toilet paper in disguise.

Garage, estate and moving sale prices have been going up over the last several years. Or has the dollar been losing purchasing power, also known as on the path to worthlessness ? So don’t expect the same prices as we encountered 8 years ago. Just how much has the dollar lost if we have been losing 9% a year compounded ? The problem is that our income has not been rising commensurate with these 8 years. I believe prices of used items would be much higher as well as the store prices if our income wasn’t stagnant. This is what I called hyperstagflation years ago and it is an insidious process.

Gotta go.

Best wishes,

Agnut

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agnut For This Useful Post:

govcheetos (3rd August 2014),gunDriller (3rd August 2014)

Thanks

if Home Improvement (indoors and out) and Survivalism was an Olympic Event, i'd put my money on you guys, and the neighbor i referred to as 'Magic Neighbor'.

Magic Neighbor, Shawn, is the brother of the previous owner of the neighboring property. I had a list of about 30 home improvement things that needed fixing, he ripped through them. Did some for free, charged me 'mates rates' (New Zealand language, $20 an hour) for the balance.

like if that TV show Home Improvement was for real. sort of an 'Ultimate Handyman' event.

part McGyvering
    part just knowing your stuff

i guess the horse trading goes into the preparation.

it could make a good TV show ?

this morning i'm going up on the roof. having lost a friend & co-worker to a roof accident (biggest funeral i've ever been to), i know the seriousness of a simple task like checking a skylight for leaks.

got a friend coming by for what will hopefully be an extremely boring job, holding the ladder.
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gunDriller For This Useful Post:

zap (10th August 2014)

Thanks

Be careful on that roof Gundriller. Everytime I get on one I think, "This is how you go if you're not careful" Know a couple people who have had family or friends die by falling off a simple 8-10 ft roof, Know another guy that has nerve damage in his leg from falling off a 2 story. His back is all screwed up too, has to get his sons to do a lot of the work he used to do. So be careful, whatever you're gonna make on the job isn't worth it.

Funny thing about the TV Show. A while back I said someone should make a show about me and follow me around for like 48 hours or so and see all the different stuff I get into and different people I deal with. Rich, poor, good, bad, etc. Part of the giimick would be that I hate TV and hardly ever watch it except for the weather. Sort of a paradox, a tv show about a guy that hates tv.

Agnut everyday I think about the rising prices and devaluation of the currency. I really hate to think about what things will be in another 5-10 and beyond. Something else, a lot of people that 5 years ago I would have said were tough, get through anything, survival types are proving otherwise. Grown men with families who owe money on everything, play video games like kids, buy unnecessary guns and the toys that go on them so they can post them on some facebook page for the whole world to know how stupid they are. Won't work, and those that do complain about having to actually do anything. There are fewer and fewer everyday that an honest, hard working, man who takes care of his loved ones and respects his Creator can relate to.

Sorry for the rant, get em' while you can.

Thanks

Cool Re: Bartering And Horse Trading (Part Duh)

How to force yourself to clean the gutters -

rent a ladder for $10.

+, be cheap.

Mix.

Then (maybe) you'll be thinking, "I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $10 for that ladder and not clear my gutters".

I also used it as an opportunity to knock down some hornet's nests. Fortunately they were empty, mostly.

HelpStopLASIK.com

Thanks

Hi gunDriller and govcheetos. How old are you guys ? The reason I ask is that as we get older we lose the ability to react as quickly, our sense of balance isn’t as good and our bones are more brittle. When getting on a roof or ladder our ego and pride says that we can do the job. But reality is a hard teacher. Let me tell you a story.

Back in the 1930s my father who as a young man had the rare ability to walk a tightrope without any balance pole. His father ran the equipment for a logging company and would run a line high in the trees so that my father could walk it. This was during the depression era. Circuses wanted him but his father said that working in a circus was not for decent folk. Probably right, as I have seen in some movies lately which depicted what a traveling circus was like. See the movies Water For Elephants and Carnivale.

The war came along and my father went back into the U.S. Navy. He said that he could show off and do handsprings on a steel ship deck and also could walk on his hands up and down stairs.

My father spent 26 years in the Navy, running the airplane repair facilities around the U.S. Places like Norfolk where he was flight deck officer on the Valley Forge aircraft carrier. I can recall the times he took me to tour the ship and how enormous everything was.

My father had been through the entire battle of Okinawa during WWII. He said that he was on a ship and had been transferred to another ship wherein the ship he had left was blown up the next day and most hands lost. That had to have an effect on him. He said that the kamikazes were attacking constantly and seeing some of the old timers having nervous breakdowns and being taken to the rear and being patched up. As soon as it was determined that they were able, they were brought up to the front again because there was a shortage of experienced men; there was no other option. War doesn’t wait.

As a child and young man I traveled with my family to the military bases around the country. Norfolk Virginia, Millington Tennessee, Adak Alaska, Miami Florida, Willow Grove Pennsylvania, Barbers Point Hawaii. Lots of interesting characteristics in each locale and pretty wild for a kid growing up. This continual pulling up stakes and moving every year or two must have had an effect on me because I moved many times through the decades that followed. Wanderlust doesn’t perfectly describe it; you’d have to live it to feel the fullness.

My father finally retired after a second career as a civil service metal corrosive engineer for the Navy. He was now what we call a triple dipper, receiving three retirement checks. Besides that, he was in real estate for years and was already wealthy by most standards.

So where is this story going ? Well, in the 1990s he was fully retired and had plenty of money. What does he do ? He wants to sweep the flat roof over the garage. His wife said to not go up there and he said to her, “What are you trying to do, make a cripple out of me ?” That was the last thing he said before he fell backward off the roof.

He also said the last thing he did was kick off the roof so that he didn’t land on his head. Instead, he landed flat on his back.

He was rushed to the hospital where he was in intensive care and recovery for a long time. The doctors said that his spinal injuries would make him a quadriplegic for life. I was told that the medical care cost a million dollars before he got out of the hospital. He did learn to walk, although with great effort. It took years until he was able to hold a spoon to feed himself.

After the accident, I can’t count the number of times he told me to not get on the roof without safety devices.

I moved from southern California about 10 years ago to help take care of him. More important to me was to be close to him to enjoy time together, time that the demands of his career had all too often taken precedence over our father-son relationship. Hopefully, you who have children are well aware of this.

I’m relating this story to tell anyone who reads it to never, never, NEVER put yourself in a situation before thinking of the possible consequences. Pay a professional to do the job.

We work hard all our lives so that we can retire and enjoy the fruits of our labor: our newly found free time and most important, our family and friends. So falling off a roof is an example of just one of the life damaging things we can do.

A few years ago I was at a garage sale loading items while standing on the tailgate of my pickup truck. It was wet and I slipped and fell to the concrete below. It was only a few feet but I was going head first. Incredible, a tall huge stranger caught my head before it hit. My left shoulder hit hard and still gives me a little reminder of that day. The bruise from knee to ankle faded in time. By the way, this stranger and his girlfriend became friends and have visited me and my family many times. You never know what will happen out there; good and bad. You just need the courage to do rather than only dream. I didn’t mean to turn this into a bartering and horse trading story but there it is. Threads of activities weave a most fascinating pattern throughout our lives. Sometimes we need to sit back and reflect until all the colors and designs become clear.

Best wishes,

Agnut

“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    Albert Einstein

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is the meaning of success. "
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

18. The Following User Says Thank You to agnut For This Useful Post:

gunDriller (6th August 2014)