Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Bartering And Horse Trading (Part Duh)

Thanks

Re: Bartering And Horse Trading (Part Duh)

Hi again mick silver. What kind of trailer and model truck are you looking for ? What price range ?

Are the trailers and trucks overpriced or is the dollar undervalued ? Not funny is it ?

Let me know; I have been thinking lately about focusing on writing about vehicles and their relative utilitarian values.

Best wishes,
    Agnut

Thanks
    Thanked 4,010 Times in 2,836 Posts

I know guys looking for trucks an trailers so I look for stuff to buy and sale an make a few bucks . one of the trucks I look at was a 2004 ford 350 it look real good but he wanted 20.000.00 for truck with 300.000 thousand miles of it , then I look at a few trailer and they were also over priced they all needed brakes tires and some new wood floors on them like the trucks they also were over priced . some days it pay to stay home and do other things . but again that how I made ex paper when it slow around here by horse trading . be safe mick
    “Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is.” ~ Outlaw Josey Wales…

STOP F*CKING WITH US.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mick silver For This Useful Post:

agnut (28th October 2015)

Thanks

Great posts. Good to see a little action in this thread. I have been the busiest I've ever been this year, and really am somewhat overloaded with deals that I need to flip and make some money out of. Whole lot of poor people out there and most the middle class is one small financial stubbed toe from being there too. I price most things to sell quickly, but haven't had much action lately. Thinking about raising my price on a few things and see what happens. Sometimes when things are too cheap people think its a scam or a misprint. I've noticed the corporate world has everybody brainwashed into thinking you can't get a better deal with cash too Mick. Everyone lives on their debit/credit cards and smart phones. I talk to grown men out in the world who are supposed to be moving and shaking and they don't have a five dollar bill in their wallet. If the net or the banks shut down for one day people would freak out. I think of yall as kindred spirits and when coming up on a steal of a deal and a few of yall are in the back of my mind more than a few times a week. Yall be safe out there.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to govcheetos For This Useful Post:

agnut (28th October 2015),mick silver (24th October 2015)

Thanks

Hi mick silver. Not to sound preachy and all that, but why buy a truck for $20,000 with 300,000 miles on it ? That is a lot of money to tie up that could be used for pyramiding a fortune (or loading a barn to the rafters with deals and steals as I have).

I have a 1990 Dodge 350 with a Cummins diesel engine and a 5 speed manual transmission that got 26 mpg one way and 25 mpg on the return when I visited Ponce a few weeks ago. It was a 1,100 mile trip so I know the figures are accurate. I was driving 70-75 mph much of the way. My truck has 265,000 miles on it and has never let me down. It is great for towing and hardly notices the weight. I paid $2,600 for it about 5-6 years ago.

The 1997 Dodge diesel is the last year of the manual fuel injection and that is what I would look for. Simple and less expensive to maintain. I’ve seen several for sale on Craigslist in the $5-7000 price range. In 1994 the body style was changed and looks to be much newer than it really is. That’s if esthetics has any importance to you. I like the older body style since it doesn’t appear that I have any money and am just sliding along on Social Insecurity (which I am). In my case of going to garage sales I don’t want the appearance of prosperity; maybe it works, not sure, but that is my aim.

Diesel fuel is easier and much safer to have stored around. Also don’t forget the potential for making boidiesel fuel. Even my generator is a 12K Lister unit. And my VW Scirocco has been converted to diesel which will get about 65 mpg on the freeway, about 50 around town. Whether fuel costs go high or availability goes low, I feel that I am better prepared for the future. My two tractors are diesel too. So you can see how biased I am about being an all diesel household.

The advantage of the later electronic diesel trucks is that you can make modifications to greatly increase the horsepower. Personally I don’t need the added expense or increased power but you might.

Best wishes,
    Agnut
    "To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is the meaning of success. "
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to agnut For This Useful Post:

govcheetos (15th November 2015),gunDriller (9th November 2015),mick silver (8th November 2015)

Thanks

Hi govcheetos. Yeah, they have sucked out all the discretionary money that the masses used to have for their wants. Also, they have been sucking out the masses needs to where being able to buy enough food or pay other bills has become a problem. I read that retailers are expecting the public to spend $803 this Christmas season. Yeah, right ! Let me know how that works out for you.

If things get any tighter, there will be literally no market for many things that are not absolutely needed by folks. And then, the things that are needed are basic and darrn few. Things like food, paying the electric bill, etc. Just look at all the folks who have canceled their Comcast TV cable in the last couple of years. I did a couple of years ago and have been saving $120 a month. It was a want, not a need.

I may sound like I have it all together but truth be known, I have been busy for a long time in trying my best to get projects completed before the wheels fall off of the economy. I’m not there by a long shot. I think we sometimes take on too much, expecting it all to fall into place like clockwork. Things are more complicated these days, compounded by workers that don’t show up or are incompetent. As a result I am having to do most everything myself and at 68 years old I no longer can work 12 hours straight. This prepping for the future is like taking on two jobs with little rest and no vacations. I have finally consigned myself to the fact that it will never be finished and I will have to do some preps after TSHTF. Sounds crazy but there it is. I have to console myself with the knowledge that I will be way ahead of those who did not prepare. Even though some tasks will not be complete I have been buying in advance the parts I will need.

There is the very real probability that parts we can get now at the local Home Depot or online will not be there after TSHTF. Extra fan belts, water hoses, cases of oil and filters are but a few items that should be in our parts inventory. And lots of fuel too. I’m looking at a second 100 gallon diesel tank for $50 that will come in handy. If I have it full when prices rise, it will be like I made a profit in more than one way.

When we buy a bargain item today we don’t know what it will be worth in the years to come; we can only make our best estimate. Some items we will use ourselves and some we will barter for things we need. The items we use ourselves are pretty self evident in their value but these future bartering items require us to envision a scenario in which others will be able to trade with us. And want to trade. What is the value of a blender if there is no electricity ? Or an LP record ? Nobody knows the depth to which we will descend in the future. Could be merely difficult or like living back in the 1820s. Some items will probably be in demand no matter what. Ponce’s toilet paper stash is a good candidate. A time when nobody has their shit together. HaHa
    In prepping for the future we all act within the framework of our abilities and perceptions. With limited resources, what can I do that will make the greatest difference ? Do I perceive that the future will be like the 1930s Depression or Mad Max ? This is why we read here on the internet so many different opinions on prepping. You places your bets and lets the dice roll. Nobody knows for sure; it is all perceptions.

Look at me and what direction I have taken. Three water storage tanks with only one hooked up. A 12K diesel generator not hooked up yet. A propane stove and clothes dryer not hooked up. Many items I would like to sell for better financial positioning. Food preps that need more attention than I have time for. Items stored all over the property that need to be organized and maintained.

So what happened here, agnut ? To be honest, I am overwhelmed with projects I am not experienced enough to perform. And having someone do these things is both expensive and allows these workers to see my preparations. And they will remember. Also, my age has caught up with me. Diesel VWs sitting out back that I had bought 8 years ago with the intent of restoring. I was 60 then and full of energy and enthusiasm. I have many things that have a much greater potential for value when they are completed and operational.

I have a huge load of CB radio gear that was given to me by an old friend. It is worth a couple thousand dollars but I haven’t yet figured out how to sell it all, hopefully as one lot to one buyer. The Tram 0201A unit alone is worth $1,000 to $1,500 on eBay. Maybe Craigslist, eBay or a local ham radio club.

The time it will take to become proficient with my new Nikon camera and submit many ads is only part of the work and time required to sell these items. Much more time consuming will be communicating with buyers, meeting them and negotiating.

The point here is that I have accumulated many items in anticipation of their future need and value, which has not yet arrived. It would have been wise to have taken the time to have sold some of these items while I was also continuing to buy other items. Let that be a lesson to others.

As a last note, I am thinking that selling my art pieces is high priority since they will not have demand or value in the next couple of years. I will be selling to those who are not aware of what I believe the future portends. Their loss, my gain.

It is most important to communicate the truth in what we do. It is not all flying unicorns pooping out Skittles. The times they are a changin’ and we also must adjust our expectations accordingly. What may be a great deal today may be a poor investment in the future. This bartering and horsetrading can be life changing stuff IF handled with forethought and wisdom.

Gotta go; learning about the Nikon camera is the next project this morning.

Best wishes,
    Agnut

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is the meaning of success. "
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agnut For This Useful Post:

govcheetos (15th November 2015),mick silver (8th November 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

I guess the diesel Mercedes got my interest started (in diesel's).

Then there was the time I rented a diesel truck (cost about $1 a mile, drove 2000 miles).

That made me think about mileage.

Now I ask Ford (PowerStroke) and Dodge (Cummins) and Chevy (Duramax) owners about their diesel's.

One guy with a Duramax was adamant, it runs cleaner with biodiesel even though the factory dealer says it voids the warranty.

In general the truck diesel guys I've talked to (probably over a hundred at this point) like their diesel trucks.
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gunDriller For This Useful Post:

agnut (14th November 2015),govcheetos (15th November 2015),mick silver (9th November 2015)

Thanks

agnuts the truck not for me I look for stuff others need and I get a finder fee if they buy it . there a few guys around here that don't have the time to run around and look for stuff that were I come in . but again I will look for the older trucks if I can find one that runs and looks good, that hard to do around here most are drove hard and put up wet . be safe out there mick
    “Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is.” ~ Outlaw Josey Wales…

STOP F*CKING WITH US.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mick silver For This Useful Post:

agnut (14th November 2015)

Thanks

I told august a few things to look for at sales well here one to keep in mind old 8 tracks . I have seen them go for nothing at sales plus there a lot of folks now going back to live the old days that are looking for them . just go an do a search on ebay for 8 track and put in a starting point of over 25 bucks and look around for what's to buy and keep a look out for ......... there money still out there to help you get what u need still ....be safe on your travels mick

STOP F*CKING WITH US.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mick silver For This Useful Post:

govcheetos (6th December 2015)

Thanks

agnut we have not heard from you in some time , let us know how the sales are going in your town it dry up around here most of the stuff over priced I think we are headed over the hill now and there no turning back . be safe mick

STOP F*CKING WITH US.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mick silver View Post
    agnut we have not heard from you in some time , let us know how the sales are going in your town it dry up around here most of the stuff over priced I think we are headed over the hill now and there no turning back . be safe mick
    Hi Mick silver. The only activity lately was an estate sale I attended last Saturday. I’ve been meaning to write about it but so much has been occupying my attentions. Someone just picked up my trailer and someone else is on the way here to turn a flywheel on a brake lathe he bought a while ago but doesn’t have the room to put in his workshop. It’s all good; he is a friend and I make accommodations.
    I’ll write about this estate sale as soon as I have some time. Hunt and peck takes time, ya know.
    Best wishes,
    Agnut