Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking from preps?

Thanks

Cooking from preps?

I wanted to start this thread as a way to share ideas. Its just a general question to get an idea to avoid things like food fatigue and increase variety, etc.

So, my "challenge" is this:

Prepare a weekly meal menu just from what you have in preps as if SHTF and you can only use your preps for at least a couple of weeks, or months for a family of three. Try to make it from a pantry only perspective, as in not soley based around a massive garden or live-stock, so things like canned foods, frozen foods, dehydrated/freeze dried, etc.

What kind of meal plan would you come up with to avoid repetative meals and to balance out your prep consumption so you dont run out of one thing too fast. Portion sizes are important as well.

If you have a large garden and live stock as a major part of your preps, feel free to make a meal plan with that included as well, but I also want ideas for more (sub)urban types where they might have to focus strictly on things they can store INSIDE a house.

So, whatcha got!?
    If someone asks you what good is a hi-cap MAG ban when there are millions of them already around and you answer, "well clips can't be reused" you're switching into full retard mode. -MadFranks

Iridium
    Thanks

Re: Cooking from preps?

Great thread idea. I pretty much cook like that already. Thank goodness for a well-stocked freezer & fridge. But once electricity is off for an extended period of time, all bets are off!
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint - Isaiah 40:31

Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. ~
    Matthew 7:7

geoengineeringwatch.org

Brew Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MNeagle
    Great thread idea.
    Totally agree... a week of prep food, maybe even a little electricity deprivation would be a good waker-upper right about now...

I hope my generator starts!
    By way of decoction, thou shalt do wort.

Thanks

One of my all time favorite prep foods is pasta.

I can cook it up and add almost anything from the panty to make a main dish. Sometimes with tomato sauce, sometimes tossed with seasonings & olive oil, sometimes with a light cheese sauce.

Add some little sausages, or canned asparagus or variety of beans to make a spicy cajun dish. Or add some tuna & olives for a cold meal. The combinations are endless!
    "You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." --Mae West

Yes! My avatar is always a photo from my adventures.

Brew Guru
    Thanks

Tomorrow is going to be a dry-run... we will keep the fridges hooked up, but all else will be manual. Lights, cooking, water, etc.

Fun Fun!

Iridium
    Thanks

Looking forward to the report BT! One day or longer?
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint - Isaiah 40:31

Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. ~

geoengineeringwatch.org

Thanks

I too look forward to the "field report" BT.

I dont know about electrcity deprivation though, I just wanted a menu. lol
    :P
    If someone asks you what good is a hi-cap MAG ban when there are millions of them already around and you answer, "well clips can't be reused" you're switching into full retard mode. -MadFranks

Brew Guru
    Thanks

Looking forward to the report BT! One day or longer?
    Just one day, unless it's better living, then indefinitely!

Iridium
    Thanks

How'd it go BT?

geoengineeringwatch.org

Brew Guru
    Thanks

How'd it go BT?
    Well, it wasn't that big of a deal since I was brewing outside in the garage all day anyway. I only needed propane for that. Used the camp stove to cook food made from ready preps... tuna and beans and some canned fruit mostly. I found that I really enjoyed the quiet - you don't realize how "noisy" life is until you turn (most) everything off... I'm actually looking forward to doing that again... is that weird?