Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Water Filters

Thanks

Re: Water Filters

I use a reverse osmosis system for my drinking water at home. I love it! Compared with bottled water, you can smell the chlorine in some of the bottled water.

Thanks everyone, for reminding me that I have a Berkey in SHTF storage. I am going to see if it's the right fit for my RV drinking water.
    The more you live, the less you will die. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ If you want to be somebody else, change your mind.

Gold
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by k-os
    I use a reverse osmosis system for my drinking water at home. I love it! Compared with bottled water, you can smell the chlorine in some of the bottled water.

Thanks everyone, for reminding me that I have a Berkey in SHTF storage. I am going to see if it's the right fit for my RV drinking water.
    Here is some info on RV water filter systems...not necessarily the place to buy, but some good RV specific info.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts

I have a Berkey Light with the fluoride filters, as well as the Sports Berkey, which is a small water bottle. Water for once has no taste, and that is a wonderful thing I think.

A normal Berkey Light like mine will last about 2 years for as much use as I use it, or 6,000 gallons of water. Berkeys are good incase of a SHTF scenario where you are on the move, and have no electricity.

If interested, here's the sorta deal I got, if you want one. I love it.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BERKEY-LIGHT...ht_3953wt_1137

BANNED (Permanent)
    Thanks

This is what I did for my water here at the house. Been using it for 4 years now, change the buckets every year. Works as good as a 200$+ Berkey for everyday use.

http://www.survival-spot.com/surviva...-water-filter/

Thanks

how do you clean the berkey filters? I have the black and the white in the bottom portion. How often are you supposed to replace them, I have heard drastically different reports, from 6 months to 10 years....
    You clean the black filters by just rinsing them off. Same as the white PF2 filters.
    If the water flow has become too slow, then (very) gently use a scrubber of some sort to wash off the surface. The very top layer can get clogged with stuff that it has filtered. The key here is that you don't need to put the filter on the table and give it some elbow grease - all you need to do is just remove the tiny bit of stuff on the top layer. Almost like you are cleaning dust off it.

If you clean them that way, they should be able to filter for a long time.
    Time to replacement will be drastically different because of different conditions. Mine flows fine for a year without cleaning because I'm using already clean tap water, and given how little material a cleaning removes it could continue to filter particles out of water for decades for me. If you are filtering out any sort of grit then your filter will get clogged more, require cleaning more, and wear down faster. As the filter ages it may also lose its ability to remove chlorine and other bad tastes, just replace it then.
    I recommend doing the food-coloring test after each cleaning so you can be sure it's still filtering. If that ever fails, put in a new filter.
    Ash_Williams is a fictional character only and anything posted is for entertainment purposes only and is not meant to be taken as fact or advice and is not guaranteed to be accurate and does not necessarily represent the opinion of the person posting it.<br /> <br />&lt;b&gt;I&#39;d rather be banned than stupid&lt;/b&gt;

Gold
    Thanks

Your supposed to put the Berkey Filter under the faucet using the rubber washer around the threaded side until the water starts popping through...That's the instructions I have here for cleaning them.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

Exactly one month on my new ZeroWater filter. I'm averaging around one gallon per day and so far so good. The included free TDS meter measured my Boise tap water at an enviable 50ppm so determining the cost-benefit ratio of this filter will be very simple.

This old GSUS thread is now nine years old but demonstrates our still-continuing common interest.....................WE ARE SURVIVORS.

Can't post THIS very relevant 4chan image anymore but Mamboni will get it.

I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,640 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jewboo View Post
    Exactly one month on my new ZeroWater filter. I'm averaging around one gallon per day and so far so good. The included free TDS meter measured my Boise tap water at an enviable 50ppm so determining the cost-benefit ratio of this filter will be very simple.

This old GSUS thread is now nine years old but demonstrates our still-continuing common interest.....................WE ARE SURVIVORS.

Can't post THIS very relevant 4chan image anymore but Mamboni will get it.

Bullseye
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. -Benjamin Franklin
    Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite. -Charles Spurgeon

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mamboni For This Useful Post:

Jewboo (27th August 2019)

Great Value Carrots StreetsOfGold's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boss Hogg View Post
    I remember there were multiple threads concerning water filters at GIM, primarily the Aquarain camp vs Berkey camp. I've been in contact with reps at Aquarain and they notified me that they pretty much filter out most harmful microbes and chemicals. My primary concern was regarding flouride. They informed me that Aquarain wouldn't completely remove flouride, reduction would be the better word. At those reduced levels is that considered safe?
    The ONLY safe water to drink is PURE water, i.e. distilled
    Since man has DESTROYED God's built-in distillery with pollution and chemtrails, you need to make it on your own.
    Murder was the Catholic answer - Pope Francis

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jewboo View Post
    HOLY SHIT! AMAZON IS SELLING BOGUS REPLACEMENT FILTERS:

Lucy S.

1.0 out of 5 stars This filter will poison your water.
    August 7, 2019 Size: 1-PackVerified Purchase

This filter will poison your water. If I could give minus five stars, I would. My tap water is registered at 46, after using filter it has to be 0. When I washed and drain first batch using this filter water quality registered at 154, it is more than three times dirtier than my tap water. I bought (4) of those filters. I decided maybe there is something wrong with first filter. I opened next one, and after cleaning my tap water, filtered water for second filter registered at 252, which is more than five times dirtier than my tap water.

ZeroWater Team
    17 days ago

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. After examining many filters we had returned with this same complaint, we have discovered that these are in fact NOT authentic ZeroWater filters. Please contact Amazon regarding their return process.

LINK
    I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.