Thread: Connecting to a generator power head (J609B).

Thanks

Connecting to a generator power head (J609B).

I have a couple of 5kw generator power heads I picked up real cheap. I'd like to run them with something other than a small engine (I haven't decided what yet.)

Does anyone sell adapters that would give me a plate, bearing, and shaft, so that I could turn these? I believe it's a female J609B on the powerhead. Of course it bolts on perfectly to an engine which has the male end of this shaft and that centers it perfectly, but I'd like to simply bolt on an adapter that I could later attach a gear or pulley to.

If nothing like this exists then I guess I can get one machined but I figured it might be an in-demand item for people building their own generators.

In the end I would probably like to hook both of these powerheads to a small diesel automotive engine, geared so it could basically idle while driving these at 3600 rpm. It should reduce the fuel costs & noise and greatly reduce the need for generator oil changes and maintenance.

Ash_Williams is a fictional character only and anything posted is for entertainment purposes only and is not meant to be taken as fact or advice and is not guaranteed to be accurate and does not necessarily represent the opinion of the person posting it.<br /> <br />&lt;b&gt;I&#39;d rather be banned than stupid&lt;/b&gt;

Silver
    Thanks

Re: Connecting to a generator power head (J609B).

I've got no info for you but that sounds like a great idea if you can make it work.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,310 Posts

There are basically two types of generator heads "one bearing generators" and "two bearing generators". It sounds like you have a "one bearing generator".
    One bearing generators are designed for direct drive only. It can only be mounted to the back of an engine. The engine shall perform as the second bearing to support the generator shaft.
    If you want to convert these into two bearing generators you will have to fabricate the second bearing housing yourself and not only is this prohibitively expensive, the shaft is probably not long enough to install a drive yoke or sheave.

Thanks

Yep, it's the one-bearing type.

I thought of having the second bearing built, but just now came up with maybe another idea... if I can find two broken engines, they should have the exact bearing I want in them, I just need to remove everything extra and bolt them on...
    Ash_Williams is a fictional character only and anything posted is for entertainment purposes only and is not meant to be taken as fact or advice and is not guaranteed to be accurate and does not necessarily represent the opinion of the person posting it.<br /> <br />&lt;b&gt;I&#39;d rather be banned than stupid&lt;/b&gt;

BANNED (Permanent)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ash_Williams
    Yep, it's the one-bearing type.

I thought of having the second bearing built, but just now came up with maybe another idea... if I can find two broken engines, they should have the exact bearing I want in them, I just need to remove everything extra and bolt them on...
    Maybe. But odds are that the rear crankshaft bearing is the front gen bearing. I really don't know exactly. But I do know engines and stuff and that is the most logical way to do it considering costs.

Funny I was approached last week to buy a gen from my neighbor, who blew the motor on his genset, so I gave this idea a passing thought.

Gypsybiker45

I mentioned this once on old GIM, old Triumph motorcycle engines were originally designed to power British military equipment. your talking a 650cc 45 hp 3000rpm engine that weighs about as much as a typical 15hp briggs or kohler MUCH better economy. run through a proper exhaust they are quieter than most engines as well, a cooling fan would have to be attached to blow over the cylinders though, for the adventurous, you could utilize the 4 speed transmission to increase PTO rpm without raising engine rpm. BTW dont use a Harley engine for this, they dont have an even firing pattern and just cant be made quiet although they have gobs of torque. Japanese engines have to rev to high rpms to make their HP so i dot recommend them either. BSA or Norton are similar to Triumph.