Thread: How Liquid are .1867 Ounce European Coins ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

How Liquid are .1867 Ounce European Coins ?

These are a step down from the Sovereign and the 2 Rand in Weight.

Those weigh .2354 ounces.

In the .1867 ounce category, the 2 main ones are the Swiss 20 franc and the French Rooster coin.

http://www.apmex.com/Resources/Catal...cts/19_Rev.jpg

http://www.apmex.com/Resources/Catal...cts/18_Rev.jpg

2 Questions -

* If you've ever sold one of these to an American dealer, what did they pay you relative to spot ?

* In European coin shops, are these considered premium products, similar to how American dealers seem to like American Eagles ?

When I say "how liquid are they", I mean, how easily convertible into cash. I guess this relates to the central question a coin dealer would ask, will he be able to sell it to his customers ?
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

Gold
    Thanks

Re: How Liquid are .1867 Ounce European Coins ?

Very liquid...;] Since they are fractionals, they are not part of 25 oz reporting requirement that applies to 1 oz foreign coins...at least until 2012.

Premiums vary, but they are generally considered a low premium coin.

Skirnir

On eBay, they seem to be going for about a 12% premium.

Gold would have to hit $3200 before it triggers the $600 requirement in 2012, so they may or may not be the best option for flying beneath the radar depending upon one's forecast. Given the premiums on 1/4 oz. gold bullion, the tradeoff between recognisability and size is worthwhile.

[font=Verdana]I stand corrected!
    I just nabbed three at under spot using the Bing + MrRebates trick, so they are out there...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skirnir
    I just nabbed three at under spot using the Bing + MrRebates trick, so they are out there...
    you did good ! you got Roosters and/or the Swiss 20 franc coin ?
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

Skirnir

Three Swiss 20fr coins, two Italian Umberto II L20 coins which were found a bit later.

Thanks

Three Swiss 20fr coins, two Italian Umberto II L20 coins which were found a bit later.
    is that the coin with the guy with the huge moustache ?

HelpStopLASIK.com

Skirnir

Quote Originally Posted by gunDriller
    is that the coin with the guy with the huge moustache ?
    Yes; that is him. By the way, it was Umberto I, not II.

http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/images/...lireobv400.jpg

Great Value Carrots 1970 silver art's Avatar
    Thanks

I would think that the .1867 ounce gold European coins are just as liquid as GAE's or other .999 gold bullion coins, however, a local dealer might discount that odd weight gold European coin more than a regular gold coin because it is an odd weight and I do not beleive that they are stamped with the exact weight and purity on them.
    DISCLAIMER: My gut feeling on silver is just that................My gut feeling. I have absolutely nothing to back up any gut feeling that I might have on silver.

DISCLAIMER2: I am not really a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.

Pepperoni Pizza + Orange Juice + Netflix + Silver art bars = My life.

ATTENTION!!! I stood up to the TP king by making a 3-roll tp bet with him and guess what?............I won.

Gold
    Thanks

* In European coin shops, are these considered premium products, similar to how American dealers seem to like American Eagles ?
    if you mean do european dealers charge more for roosters and swiss 20 franc pieces as compared to standard 1 ozt. bullion coins such as krugers, no is the answer. this company is one of the more competitive pan-european dealers, includes buy and sell prices in euros, dollars and pounds.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.