Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water Filters

Zinc
    Thanks

Water Filters

I remember there were multiple threads concerning water filters at GIM, primarily the Aquarain camp vs Berkey camp. I've been in contact with reps at Aquarain and they notified me that they pretty much filter out most harmful microbes and chemicals. My primary concern was regarding flouride. They informed me that Aquarain wouldn't completely remove flouride, reduction would be the better word. At those reduced levels is that considered safe?

Gold
    Thanks

Re: Water Filters

"At those reduced levels is that considered safe?"

You didn't state any reduced level amounts. Simply "reducing it" doesn't make it safe.

Berkey claims to reduce up to 99.75% under certain conditions.

I have both these units.

Our water is not fluoridated so don't worry about filtering that out.

I didn't like the Aquarain...water tasted like the filter even after running tons of water through it. Could have just been me but thats my experience.

The Berkey is a better unit.

On what they each actually remove from water I don't know....haven't ran a test.

Zinc
    Thanks

They never did give me the figures for "reduced".

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

I have a berkey as well. The construction is good. It works as in, it filters water. It really comes down to the filter element/candle type. In a family environment I'd expect to be cleaning filters maybe every month? Not hard to do but you need to take the filters out to do this, so it will take a little while to do. It depends on how much water is going through it of course and how much of what is in the water.

The filters look unpleasant when they really need cleaning so you will want to do it. The flavour of the water is superb. Best stuff I have ever drunk outside of some really pristine streams in very high remote places...... you know.... evian. nah. seriously nah.... just some spring somewhere on a hill but it was very clean. true .

The filters in mine are silver ceramic ones by doulton. The people who sold it to me send me a reminder for replacement filters. They are a bit optimistic on usage IMO but their replacement filter price is better than anywhere else so I have a small stockpile.

As for what they take out, unfortunately I don't think it includes fluoride. I don't have the faintest idea how effective it is in true water purification. For scheme/fresh water it's ideal IMO. Fluoride removal would be the ultimate. $$ of course.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Thanks

I have the berky. Great tasting water.
    “A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. ” Heinlein, Robert

DMac

Quote Originally Posted by NOOB
    I have the berky. Great tasting water.
    Same. When company comes over they always remark how clean tasting the water is.

A quick search and I see the Aquarain uses the ceramic filters. I got the black elements with my Berkey. According to their website the black elements are a stronger filter than the ceramic ones (not that the ceramic is bad but I'm not taking any chances).

Gold
    Thanks

We clean our Berkey black filters once every 6-8 months or so and use it daily...water tastes great even after 6-8 months of pumping several gallons a day but we clean it anyway.

Gold
    Thanks

I have an AquaRain for an emergency but use an under the sink RO System for daily use, primarily because of RO fluoride removal.

The AquaRain ceramic filters are impregnated with silver to prevent bacterial growth, but as other have said, they don't remove fluoride. The Berkley Black filters seem to be superior to other gravity systems...I would probably buy the Berkley black system if I were to buy another one.

Here is the e-bay RO system I use:

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-GPD-Reverse-...item5ada784121

Thanks

My guess is that "Reduced" is probably meaningless. They don't want to say it does nothing. Most things will be reduced after going through a gravity fed filter as they form the scale when some of the water dries... though the reduction might be like 100 units of fluoride in, 96 out.
    Ash_Williams is a fictional character only and anything posted is for entertainment purposes only and is not meant to be taken as fact or advice and is not guaranteed to be accurate and does not necessarily represent the opinion of the person posting it.<br /> <br />&lt;b&gt;I&#39;d rather be banned than stupid&lt;/b&gt;

Electrum
    Thanks

how do you clean the berkey filters? I have the black and the white in the bottom portion. How often are you supposed to replace them, I have heard drastically different reports, from 6 months to 10 years....

thanks!