Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blagojevich convicted of lying to feds

Hybrid View

Iridium
    Thanks

Blagojevich convicted of lying to feds

Chicago, Illinois (CNN) -- Former Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich was convicted of a relatively minor charge -- giving a false statement to federal investigators -- but the jury hung on 23 other counts.

Jurors deliberated for 14 days but could not reach a unanimous verdict on the most serious corruption counts. Jurors also could not decide on the charges against Blagojevich's brother, Robert.

Legal analysts said the result was a victory for Blagojevich and his defense.

Attorneys and spectators filed into the courtroom shortly before 5 p.m. ET to hear the verdicts in the corruption trial.

U.S. District Judge James Zagel said earlier in the day that there was a "possibility" of a verdict soon and asked that the defendants remain within a half-hour travel distance from the courthouse.

Jurors had two questions for Zagel on Tuesday. First, they asked for a copy of the oath they took when they were sent to deliberate. For that oath, jurors were asked, "Do each of you solemnly swear that you will well and truly try, and true deliverance make, in the case now in trial and render a true verdict according to the law and the evidence, so help you God?"

The second question was, "If we do not reach a consensus of a specific count, do we leave it blank or report the votes split?" Zagel told jurors if they cannot reach a unanimous verdict on any count, they should write a single statement on each count and each juror should sign the verdict form.

Last week, the jury sent a note to Zagel indicating they were far from reaching a decision. The panel has decided on only two of the 24 counts against Blagojevich, the note said. Jurors failed to agree on 11 counts and had yet to consider 11 others involving wire fraud charges. Zagel encouraged them to continue deliberating and vote on each charge.

The former governor faces charges including racketeering, wire fraud, attempted extortion and bribery. A two-term Democrat, he was removed from office in January 2009 amid accusations that he attempted to sell the U.S. Senate seat that had been occupied by Barack Obama before Obama was elected president.

In one conversation recorded by federal agents, Blagojevich told an aide, "I've got this thing, and it's [expletive] golden. I'm just not giving it up for [expletive] nothing."

Conviction on the counts of wire fraud, racketeering and attempted extortion could each bring a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000, while a conviction on the count of solicitation of bribery would carry a maximum sentence of 10 years and a fine of up to $250,000. The maximum penalty for bribery conspiracy and false statements is five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

Blagojevich's brother, Robert, is standing trial with him on four of the charges.

Robert Blagojevich testified that his brother was "trying to politically work something to his benefit" in handling the Senate appointment but was thinking in terms of political horse-trading, not corruption.

"It didn't seem out of the ordinary, because Obama was taking a lot of people from Illinois with him to D.C.," said Robert Blagojevich, who raised money for his brother. He said the governor "was interested in the idea of being the head of Health and Human Services."

While awaiting trial, the ousted governor asserted his innocence in interviews and on Twitter, as well as during his appearances on the "Celebrity Apprentice" reality show.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/08/17/...pt=T1&iref=BN1
    But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint - Isaiah 40:31

Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. ~
    Matthew 7:7

geoengineeringwatch.org

Phoenix

Re: Blagojevich convicted of lying to feds

Lesson: NEVER TALK TO THE FEDS

Thanks
    Thanked 2,724 Times in 1,852 Posts

Morpheus: I've seen an agent punch through a concrete wall; men have emptied entire clips at them and hit nothing but air; yet, their strength, and their speed, are still based in a world that is built on rules. Because of that, they will never be as strong, or as fast, as *you* can be.
    Make me one with everything.
    -- Zen Master to the hot dog vendor

RJB

Anything you say can and will be MISCONSTRUED against you...

Blago always struck me as a pompous ass, but I'm actually glad he was for the most part cleared. I always get suspicious when a politician gets pinched for something they all do.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,310 Posts

Any politician who gets smeared by the media and prosecuted is NOT an insider. Our rulers like to go through these little "fall guy" exercises occasionally to fortify the illusion of justice and accountability.

dysgenic

Watching the MSN can be an eyeopening experience. Recently I watched a piece on Blago that transparently attempted to smear him for the purposes of convicting him in the public court of opinion. During the piece, they played certain of the tapes. The tapes certainly make him look like an ass, but demonstrated absolutely zero guilt or even the possibility of guilt. Since you know they were offering the best they've got, I can safely say that the guy did absolutely nothing wrong and deserves to be acquitted. Pretty coincidental they decided to go after him the same week that he took on a major bank, huh?

dys

Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by RJB
    Anything you say can and will be MISCONSTRUED against you...

Blago always struck me as a pompous ass, but I'm actually glad he was for the most part cleared. I always get suspicious when a politician gets pinched for something they all do.
    When he stood up to Bank of America, I was willing to give him every benefit of the doubt and leniency, too.

He was arrested the day after he said the State of Illinois would no longer do business with BofA.

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,510 Times in 2,601 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    When he stood up to Bank of America, I was willing to give him every benefit of the doubt and leniency, too.

He was arrested the day after he said the State of Illinois would no longer do business with BofA.

I was always wondering if this (saying Illinois would no longer do business with Bank of America) was really what this was about....This whole thing seemed strange to me--all of these politicians are dirty in some way, so I always assume that the only reason any of these "scandals" become public is b/c the politician crossed a line somewhere or started to do something for the American people.

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,815 Times in 2,260 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    I was always wondering if this (saying Illinois would no longer do business with Bank of America) was really what this was about....This whole thing seemed strange to me--all of these politicians are dirty in some way, so I always assume that the only reason any of these "scandals" become public is b/c the politician crossed a line somewhere or started to do something for the American people.
    This sort of thing gives them an excuse to sacrifice somebody occasionally. It helps to maintain solidarity.
    Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty." – Socrates

"Communism can be summed up in one sentence: The abolition of private property." ---Karl Marx

"Either you have the right to own property, or you are property." Wayne Hage

Phoenix

December 8, 2008:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Pl_maYkQQ

December 9, 2008: