Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: what are some possible scenario's when the dollar crashes?

Book

Re: what are some possible scenario's when the dollar crashes?

Quote Originally Posted by Apparition
    We'll probably see a rise in bartering and garage/yard sales.

[img width=600 height=401]http://media.wsbt.com/images/Elkhart+Chase+Bank+Robbery+3.JPG[/img]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,724 Times in 1,852 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    Your entire argument is based on semantics. You can call nations and currency anything you like. If the dollar crashed 80 years ago, then I'd say we have nothing to fear. I've been exchanging paper fiat for real goods my entire life.
    My entire argument is based upon communism. Turns out you have been acting as an agent for the federal reserve all your life and from a private property perspective you own nothing (fulfilling the requirements of the first plank of the communist manifesto).

My observation is not politically correct because most people just think communism morphed into environmental whack-ism and forget that a forest starts with a single tree.
    Make me one with everything.
    -- Zen Master to the hot dog vendor

Silver
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Book
    Quote Originally Posted by 97guns

...trading junk silver for bread and gas?

WTSHTF the grocery store clerk will not be reading the date on your "silver" dime nor giving you more then ten cents worth for it. Same thing at the gas station.

o-->

WTSHTF the grocery store clerk will not be reading the date on your "silver" dime because they'll be too busy trying to count the zeros on your bank note.
    The Avatar looking into the gun barrel is Dr. John Dee (1527-1608), the original 007.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by palani
    Your entire argument is based on semantics. You can call nations and currency anything you like. If the dollar crashed 80 years ago, then I'd say we have nothing to fear. I've been exchanging paper fiat for real goods my entire life.
    My entire argument is based upon communism. Turns out you have been acting as an agent for the federal reserve all your life and from a private property perspective you own nothing (fulfilling the requirements of the first plank of the communist manifesto).

My observation is not politically correct because most people just think communism morphed into environmental whack-ism and forget that a forest starts with a single tree.
    If I've been an agent for the Federal Reserve all my life, but I have been comfortable, well-fed, lived, laughed, loved, learned, taught, sang, and danced, how has a dollar crash impacted my life? It's not really a crash until it has some impact on those essentials. Call it what you will.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,724 Times in 1,852 Posts

If I've been an agent for the Federal Reserve all my life, but I have been comfortable, well-fed, lived, laughed, loved, learned, taught, sang, and danced, how has a dollar crash impacted my life? It's not really a crash until it has some impact on those essentials. Call it what you will.
    These are the skills you are going to pass along to your children to assure their survival?
    Make me one with everything.
    -- Zen Master to the hot dog vendor

Joe King

The majority of people having taken that position is essentially why we are where we are.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe King

The majority of people having taken that position is essentially why we are where we are.
    You mean because they're happy? You can experience all of those things without being materialistic or in debt.

Look, this is a discussion about a USD crash. It's not about survival or preparation or sheep. I was simply making a counterpoint to the suggestion that the USD crashed 80 years ago. It didn't. Because if it did, it really wasn't so bad after all, and we should welcome another 80 years of crashing. Crash implies a severe and disruptive market dislocation. I've never had a retailer hesitate to accept my FRNs in exchange for goods. The day that they do, we can start to consider it a crash.

Palladium
    Thanks

For some reason, this thread makes me think of the genre of comedy called "redneck jokes". Except here I would like to substitute "redneck" with "FEDneck", as in:

If you plan to wait until your FRN is not accepted by a cashier before you worry about a dollar crash.... you might be a FEDneck....... here's your sign....
    I am not here to convince you, I am here to convince myself

Joe King

You mean because they're happy? You can experience all of those things without being materialistic or in debt.

Look, this is a discussion about a USD crash. It's not about survival or preparation or sheep. I was simply making a counterpoint to the suggestion that the USD crashed 80 years ago. It didn't. Because if it did, it really wasn't so bad after all, and we should welcome another 80 years of crashing. Crash implies a severe and disruptive market dislocation. I've never had a retailer hesitate to accept my FRNs in exchange for goods. The day that they do, we can start to consider it a crash.
    The point I was getting at is that people have been comfortable enough to take the position that they hadn't needed to worry about what they're gov is actually doing in their names.
    That's all.

Thanks

The point I was getting at is that people have been comfortable enough to take the position that they hadn't needed to worry about what they're gov is actually doing in their names.
    That's all.
    I totally agree with you on that part. And there will be a price to pay. I just think it will be more in the form of a prolonged dollar erosion rather than an actual collapse.