Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best cheap-ass cooking oil?

Thanks

Re: Best cheap-ass cooking oil?

We use mostly butter and olive oil here too.

and I store lots Crisco for SHTF

Costco has Big bottles of olive oil at a great price...But the frigging bottles are Plastic!
    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." T.J.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. (MJK)

Silence is Treason!

Thanks

Some Costcos sell ghee (clarified butter). It doesn't have to be refrigerated.
    Doom is always 6 or 8 months away.
    ~EE_

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StackerKen

Costco has Big bottles of olive oil at a great price...But the frigging bottles are Plastic!
    If you look at places that cater to restaurants, or even go into a local deli/bakery, you can find olive oil in the metal tins. Its best for long term storage as the plastic wont weaken or get brittle and they arent transparent so they they wont degrade as quickly from light. Its not hard to find, you might just have to ask for it.

In fact, look for a local italiam market or bakery and ask the manager if he can order some for you next time he puts an order into his distributor, that would be your best bet.

ETA: You can, of course, always bottle it yourself as well in half gallon or gallon mason jars. This will also give you the chance to flavor it by adding herb, spices, peppers, etc and letting it age.
    If someone asks you what good is a hi-cap MAG ban when there are millions of them already around and you answer, "well clips can't be reused" you're switching into full retard mode. -MadFranks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heimdhal
    Quote Originally Posted by StackerKen

If you look at places that cater to restaurants, or even go into a local deli/bakery, you can find olive oil in the metal tins. Its best for long term storage as the plastic wont weaken or get brittle and they arent transparent so they they wont degrade as quickly from light. Its not hard to find, you might just have to ask for it.

In fact, look for a local italiam market or bakery and ask the manager if he can order some for you next time he puts an order into his distributor, that would be your best bet.

ETA: You can, of course, always bottle it yourself as well in half gallon or gallon mason jars. This will also give you the chance to flavor it by adding herb, spices, peppers, etc and letting it age.
    Greek markets and resturaunts are another good source for the gallon-sized metal containers of olive oil.
    There are two kinds of people in this world:
    People who just want to be left alone, and
    People who won't leave them alone.

No coercion, no fraud. Let rationality and liberty prevail! A=A
    Love with your heart... for everything else, use your brain!

"Gold is very patient. Are you?" -mamboni
    "Government has NO business being in the 'business' business" -Gaillo

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

Rudolf Diesel invented the diesel engine to work on vegetable oils, not fossil fuel derived diesel fuel.

and he felt fairly strongly about it.

he died on a boat trip from Germany to England. supposedly, suicide. i find that very odd - he was very successful, his ideas were being recognized and adopted commercially. for a design engineer that is normally a reason to be happy, not suicidal.

i'm pretty sure he was suicided. my guess is the Zionists and other business interests wanted to push diesel technology towards reliance on fossil fuels & mineral resources - there's a lot more money there.

imagine if the automotive industry had stuck with vegetable oils. No British Petroleum.
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

Thanks
    Thanked 4,437 Times in 2,790 Posts

Too me it is coconut oil to cook with and olive oil raw in salads ect.

The Cabal...........“Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall. Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. All the King’s horses and all the King’s men couldn’t put Humpty back together again”.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Serpo
    Too me it is coconut oil to cook with and olive oil raw in salads ect.
    We use olive oil almost exclusivley. We dont deep fry anything, so we dont worry about its relativley low flash point. We do use coconut oil too, but we make alot of dishes that just dont mix well with coconut flavor.

I dont know about yall, but chicken parmesan wit coconut just doesnt sound all that appealing. Granted, the coconut flavor usualy isnt overbearing. Its flippin fantastic in curries though!
    If someone asks you what good is a hi-cap MAG ban when there are millions of them already around and you answer, "well clips can't be reused" you're switching into full retard mode. -MadFranks

Thanks

i use peanut oil. can be cooked at a high temp and used over and over. seems to store well.
    dont blame me!! im not my fault!!
    i'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    everything in moderation! including moderation!
    Veritas vos liberabit

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts

The most important factor to consider with cooking oil is smoking-point. This is the temperature oil burns at. Canola, Soybean, and Peanut oil are the best here, but I agree Canola oil is horrible for you, so lets scratch that out as an option.

• Soybean Oil: If you want the cheapest oil, just understand soy is VERY unhealthy, but you're eating fried food so who cares? I like Soybean Oil because it has a very neutral flavor, and we/I used it when cooking for the super rich elites.
    • Peanut Oil: If you want something more expensive, and is somewhat less unhealthy, go with this. Peanut oil is best when frying meats most definitely.

Personally I like both, and would have them both on hand. Soy is totally bad for you, but remember, you're frying. Make the decision based on your financial situation, but if you have the money, and aren't allergic, go with Peanut Oil, hands down.

ALSO KEEP THIS IN MIND!
    A buying option: Look to buy at a restaurant or warehouse type store. Buy it in the 35lb box/carton.

This is the size we use in the restaurant industry, DO NOT USE ANY SMALLER SIZE! You'll get ripped off any other way.
    35lbs here is $26.54 for soy, and $39.99 for peanut. Buy it from stores like Costco and Smart and Final.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts

As some have said here, No fuss no muss, will store forever ---Lard!

Olive oil for dressings, and not cooking!
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."