Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Best cheap-ass cooking oil?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,010 Times in 2,836 Posts

Re: Best cheap-ass cooking oil?

if this sh*t hit the fan you will give me a gold coin for my lard . there will be no buying all that high dollar oils . the name of the game will be WHO can make lard . an i bet you will be glad to had some

you will be looking for that high fat stuff to keep you going ... lard the fat butter
    “Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is.” ~ Outlaw Josey Wales…

STOP F*CKING WITH US.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mick silver
    if this sh*t hit the fan you will give me a gold coin for my lard . there will be no buying all that high dollar oils . the name of the game will be WHO can make lard . an i bet you will be glad to had some

Mick,
    I agree... I have a few pounds of lard stashed away (also in the deep-freeze). I use it mainly to season my cast-iron, although I've occasionally experimented with cooking with it. It makes DELICIOUS fried tortillas when cooking mexi stuff.
    There are two kinds of people in this world:
    People who just want to be left alone, and
    People who won't leave them alone.

No coercion, no fraud. Let rationality and liberty prevail! A=A
    Love with your heart... for everything else, use your brain!

"Gold is very patient. Are you?" -mamboni
    "Government has NO business being in the 'business' business" -Gaillo

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gaillo
    I use it mainly to season my cast-iron, although I've occasionally experimented with cooking with it. It makes DELICIOUS fried tortillas when cooking mexi stuff.
    I use a cast iron skillet too, but have you ever fried in a wok? I know a lot of people here use cast iron skillets, but I don't think many understand how awesome woks are too. The shape allows minimum amount of oil, and the shape keeps the oil fairly hot. Spiders are also very helpful too.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,010 Times in 2,836 Posts

you name it taste good with lard .... try some cornbread made with lard . some fried chicken . fish , i can keep going on about this . hell nothing better then fried potatoes
    “Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is.” ~ Outlaw Josey Wales…

STOP F*CKING WITH US.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mick silver
    you name it taste good with lard .... try some cornbread made with lard . some fried chicken . fish , i can keep going on about this . hell nothing better then fried potatoes
    Plus when finished just filter the used lard and reuse. My family all passed on now, but most all made it into their hi 70's -80's and it did not hurt them, and as mick said, you can not beat it for taste!

Good stuff!
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dogman For This Useful Post:

mick silver (10th November 2015)

Thanks

And, a bonus for you Lard hoarders out there, when SHTF, you can cook with it and make soap to clean your dishes with to boot!
    If someone asks you what good is a hi-cap MAG ban when there are millions of them already around and you answer, "well clips can't be reused" you're switching into full retard mode. -MadFranks

Thanks

Shami,
    Thank you for the information on peanut oil... I had previously considered it to be "out of budget", but it looks like it's only 50% more expensive, and better for you too!

At this point, I'm thinking I'll split my cash 50/50 between peanut oil and Lard.

BTW, I do own a wok, but I haven't used it in years! I think I'll dust it off and take it for a spin next time I do a stir-fry!
    There are two kinds of people in this world:
    People who just want to be left alone, and
    People who won't leave them alone.

No coercion, no fraud. Let rationality and liberty prevail! A=A
    Love with your heart... for everything else, use your brain!

"Gold is very patient. Are you?" -mamboni
    "Government has NO business being in the 'business' business" -Gaillo

Thanks

I don't think I have ever had Lard.....But I like Bacon...so Im sure I would like Lard...gonna have to get me some and try it
    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." T.J.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. (MJK)

Silence is Treason!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StackerKen
    I don't think I have ever had Lard.....But I like Bacon...so Im sure I would like Lard...gonna have to get me some and try it
    You will not be disappointed, People have been cooking with it since day one. And I do believe more would still be using it, except someone figured how to make it look bad and unhealthy. So they could push that other stuff on us. Saving bacon drippings after filtering it , also lard was a normal thing in my family. They would use Crisco for some stuff, and lard and bacon drippings for all other cooking.

Try it you will like it! Also if you use cast iron, cook with it and just wipe out with a newspaper or rag and put it up. Your iron will stay seasoned perfect and stay that way!
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

RJB

Rendering beef tallow at home might be a cheap way to go. It was used for candle making as well as food.

If it's just for trade, I'd go with crisco as suggested above. I wouldn't eat trans-fats, but 90% of Americans live on that garbage so I wouldn't feel guilty.