Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK, school me on HAM radios that can broadcast

Thanks
    Thanked 2,782 Times in 1,378 Posts

OK, school me on HAM radios that can broadcast

Since I'm working from home today, I've been able to post more and read more on GSUS.

Here's what I've noticed. We are completely unprepared for a .gov shut down of "standard" communications. Being that I work in the IT field I know for a fact that it's duable, it might take time, i.e. court orders etc, or there might be an agreement and it just happens.

After viewing Ponce's thread on the subject I thought I'd place some requirements, and I don't even know if this exists.

Here would be my requirements, and I'm not even sure if this is enough

1 - Am/Fm Radio
    2 - HAM frequencies - 100's of miles
    3 - The ability to broadcast - 100's miles
    4 - Portable
    5 - Under 20 lbs
    Voltaire: "To find out who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

Re: OK, school me on HAM radios that can broadcast

QST magazine.
    http://www.arrl.org/qst

they're the magazine for the amateur radio club. comes out once a month.

lots of how-to articles, plus more advanced articles about EMI shielding, interference. most of the hams i've known were also electrical engineers.

Nuts n Volts, if you can find it, to buy gear -
    http://www.nutsvolts.com/

by "it" i mean the print magazine. loads of ads by hams. you used to be able to get them at surplus electronics stores.

speaking of surplus electronics stores -
    Halted
    http://www.halted.com/

Alltronics
    http://www.alltronics.com/

Wierd Stuff Warehouse
    http://www.weirdstuff.com/

they sell parts and complete radios. also, lots of the customers & people who work there are hams.
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by General of Darkness

Since I'm working from home today, I've been able to post more and read more on GSUS.

Here's what I've noticed. We are completely unprepared for a .gov shut down of "standard" communications. Being that I work in the IT field I know for a fact that it's duable, it might take time, i.e. court orders etc, or there might be an agreement and it just happens.

After viewing Ponce's thread on the subject I thought I'd place some requirements, and I don't even know if this exists.

1 - Am/Fm Radio
    4 - Portable
    5 - Under 20 lbs
    There are a bunch of rigs that fill your list 2-5 that can transmit on the ham bands, local (100's of miles) and international, depending on time of year, sun cycle and geomagnetic conditions.

But to use them legally you have to take the tests and get the appropriate license (at least general class) (no pun intended )

But until everything goes to hell in a hand basket you would have to obey the rules and broadcasting (one way transmission) is a big no no.

You can have a net, which is several stations talking to each other, or relaying messages.But just transmitting to the world for the sake of it, no!

There is way more to it, the hows , what bands to use to reach to where the stations you want to talk to, You would need to know a bunch of theory and rules of what can be done and what should not be done. To operate legally or at least until tshif and government breaks down.(if ever)

I started when 13 years old and have had this ticket (extra) for the last 20 years. It is a great hobby that can be used to keep up with people all over the world.

It just depends on what you want to do with it and how far you are willing to learn and go!
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by General of Darkness

1 - Am/Fm Radio
    4 - Portable
    5 - Under 20 lbs
    I've been a big fan of Yaesu for years. Icom also makes good stuff too though. I just prefer Yaesu. As for #3, what do you want to broadcast? For what you're looking for, I'd say the 857D http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd...5&isArchived=0

I would maybe say the FT-817ND, but it's a low power rig and probably not for beginners.
    Cogito cogito, ergo cogito sum - I think that I think, therefore I think that I am

My GPG Pub key:
    http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=steyr_m&op=index&fingerprint=on

Thanks
    Thanked 2,724 Times in 1,852 Posts

Forget AM. SSB is more efficient. FM on 2M or higher bands. If you put a 2 watt 2M FM handheld on a plane at 6,000 feet you should get 300 miles coverage easily. Great when camping on a rocky mountain.

Don't forget CW (Morse) either. Best choice for 20M or 15M.
    Make me one with everything.
    -- Zen Master to the hot dog vendor

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by palani
    Forget AM. SSB is more efficient. FM on 2M or higher bands. If you put a 2 watt 2M FM handheld on a plane at 6,000 feet you should get 300 miles coverage easily. Great when camping on a rocky mountain.

Don't forget CW (Morse) either. Best choice for 20M or 15M.
    SSB uses AM. Yes, a 2 watt 2M FM handheld at 6,000 ft will give you approximately that amount of coverage, but that isn't practical. 2M (which is a VHF band) uses LOS (line of sight) so your range is determined by the height of your antenna (the formula is SQRT * (17 * height of Antenna) ). Yes never forget CW.
    Cogito cogito, ergo cogito sum - I think that I think, therefore I think that I am

My GPG Pub key:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,724 Times in 1,852 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steyr_m
    SSB uses AM.
    Less one sideband and a whale of a lot of energy wasted in a carrier that contains no information.

Yes, a 2 watt 2M FM handheld at 6,000 ft will give you approximately that amount of coverage, but that isn't practical.
    One specialty is bouncing 2M signals off the ionized trail of meteorites. Not really practical either but its the challenge of the thing.

Maybe in the future we will be able to bounce 2M signals off police state drone aircraft. Who's to say what is practical or not? [Kids don't attempt this at home as the attempt might be misinterpreted as an invitation for a missile exchange]
    Make me one with everything.
    -- Zen Master to the hot dog vendor

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by palani

Yes, a 2 watt 2M FM handheld at 6,000 ft will give you approximately that amount of coverage, but that isn't practical.
    One specialty is bouncing 2M signals off the ionized trail of meteorites. Not really practical either but its the challenge of the thing.
    I'm sorry, I've never heard of that one. I've heard of EME (earth-moon-earth) TX/RX; but not an ionized trail of meteorites. Maybe you can fill me in with more info on that one.

My GPG Pub key:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,086 Times in 925 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dogman

But to use them legally you have to take the tests and get the appropriate license (at least general class) (no pun intended )
    You do not need a license to broadcast in your own State. The FCC has no jurisdiction. Only when broadcasting over state lines....

I noticed when i got into HAM stuff, everywhere i went people were trying to get me to get the 'license'. Luckily i was already aware of the Law and how it works.

Now, will the FCC come if they find out you are transmitting with no license? Probably....But SO WHAT? Are they right? NOPE. And it is up to you to stand up. Know the Law.....
    My Etsy store: https://twitter.com/xIOWNMEx

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sui Juris
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogman

You do not need a license to broadcast in your own State. The FCC has no jurisdiction. Only when broadcasting over state lines....

I noticed when i got into HAM stuff, everywhere i went people were trying to get me to get the 'license'. Luckily i was already aware of the Law and how it works.

Now, will the FCC come if they find out you are transmitting with no license? Probably....But SO WHAT? Are they right? NOPE. And it is up to you to stand up. Know the Law.....

o-->

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

:lol
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."