Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Counterfeit Coins- Fake Silver

Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 1,398 Posts

Re: Counterfeit Coins- Fake Silver

Now that I think about it, the edges- all I could see, looked very clean..... out of character for the dings on the faces. That would be another clue.... perfect surfaces on one part of coin but marred on the rest.

I may go back and take some pics and talk with the dealer.
    SPECTRISM time countdown2025

Thanks

Have to wait for my girlfriend to come home with the camera but I will try and take some pics to post later.
    You think that the machine is so powerful that you can't fight, when the reality is that you're the battery that powers the machine.

Thanks

http://coins.about.com/b/2009/11/11/...feit-coins.htm
    U.S. Mint Warns About Chinese-Made Counterfeit Coins
    Wednesday November 11, 2009

The U.S. Mint has issued a Consumer Advisory warning citizens about the counterfeit U.S. coins that have been flooding into the United States from China. Although counterfeit coins are as old a phenomena as coins themselves, dating back to antiquity, the Chinese-made counterfeits represent an unusually dangerous threat because of the high technology being employed to produce many of them.

The U.S. Mint Advisory characterizes the coins as "imitations" and includes a photograph of a Proof Morgan Dollar. The Advisory states that the imitation coins bear dates prior to 1950. You can read the entire counterfeit coin advisory on the U.S. Mint's Web site.

I have been warning coin collectors about these Chinese-made counterfeit coins since early 2008, when I obtained photographs and the operational details of a working coin counterfeiting ring based in China. The fake coins are primarily entering the hobby marketplace through online auction venues such as eBay.

http://www.usmint.gov/consumer/?action=hotitems
    The United States Mint frequently receives inquiries from consumers who have confused coin-related products from private companies with genuine United States coinage. This page includes information about these products, plus other coin-related issues that may be of interest to our customers and to the general public. As more public inquires are received and new issues arise, additional information will be added, so remember to check this page for updates.

•Imitation Pre-1950 Coinage
    •President-Elect Barack Obama "Commemorative Coins"
    •2004 United States Mint Lewis and Clark Coin and Pouch Sets Containing Pouches From the Shawnee Nation United Remnant Band of Ohio
    •FINAL REGULATION ISSUED PROHIBITING THE EXPORTATION, MELTING, OR TREATMENT OF UNITED STATES ONE-CENT AND 5-CENT COINS
    •Archived Items

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Imitation Pre-1950 Coinage

The United States Mint is aware of recent reports that some companies in China are producing unmarked imitations of pre-1950 United States coins and are selling them on-line. This practice not only exploits unwary consumers and collectors, but also may violate Federal law. Both consumers and coin collectors should be aware of this practice and should exercise vigilance and good judgment when purchasing pre-1950 coins.

The Hobby Protection Act (15 U.S.C. §§ 2101–2106) outlaws manufacturing or importing imitation numismatic items unless they are marked in accordance with regulations prescribed by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). Specifically, any such imitation numismatic item intended to be introduced or distributed in commerce must be plainly and permanently marked "copy." To read the FTC's 1998 Consumer Alert on Investing in Rare Coins, visit the Better Business Bureau's webpage, http://www.bbb.org/us/article/4740.

In addition, these imitation coins may violate Federal counterfeiting laws (18 U.S.C. §§ 485, 489 & 490). The United States Mint has no Federal criminal enforcement authority. Rather, it refers such matters to the United States Secret Service, which is lawfully authorized to detect and arrest any person who violates any Federal law relating to United States coinage (18 U.S.C. § 3056(b)(2)). For more information on counterfeit coins, visit the United States Secret Service's webpage, http://www.treas.gov/usss/money_coins.shtml.

http://www.coincollectingnews.org/ca...nterfeit-coins

http://numismaticnews.net/article/Cr...ves_away_fake/

Thanks

Here is a good site to help spot the counterfeits...

http://www.silver-coins.org/counterfeit_dollars.html

These bastards are making fakes that look pretty good. I have not seen anything about weighing them or metals composition.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,083 Times in 2,713 Posts

Tag.......................
    Honor The Most High, Keep His Commandments and all will go well with you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrism View Post
    Here is a good site to help spot the counterfeits...

http://www.silver-coins.org/counterfeit_dollars.html

These bastards are making fakes that look pretty good. I have not seen anything about weighing them or metals composition.
    Thanks for the link. Nice reference site with photos, proper weights and measurements. Once you train your eye. You can spot them pretty quickly. I guess it all boils down to... Caveat Emptor! But it does suck and I agree with another poster (sorry cant remember the name) that this is an excellent opportunity to put tight controls on all transactions with approved government purity tests and all. Its for our safety! 8-)
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Thanks
    Thanked 5,083 Times in 2,713 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Rogue View Post
    Thanks for the link. Nice reference site with photos, proper weights and measurements. Once you train your eye. You can spot them pretty quickly. I guess it all boils down to... Caveat Emptor! But it does suck and I agree with another poster (sorry cant remember the name) that this is an excellent opportunity to put tight controls on all transactions with approved government purity tests and all. Its for our safety! 8-)
    I would get a dummy bag just for security reasons
    Honor The Most High, Keep His Commandments and all will go well with you.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

i could see one reason for counterfeit coins - in case the government decides to seize your stash.
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gunDriller View Post
    i could see one reason for counterfeit coins - in case the government decides to seize your stash.
    Or could act as decoys in case of the other type of criminal, the burglars come calling.
    "People are less dissatisfied by what they lack than by what others have." George Will

In economics, rent-seeking is an attempt to derive economic benefit by manipulating the social or political environment in which economic activities occur, rather than by adding value.

Copper
    Thanks

How are people checking for fakes? I just ordered an acid test kit. Anyone seeing the fakes?