Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a travel trailer a stupid idea for TSHTF scenario?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,782 Times in 1,378 Posts

Is a travel trailer a stupid idea for TSHTF scenario?

Just kinda been toying with the idea. Right now you can get 30K trailers that are a year old for under 10K and was just think that if I had to bug out and I was buy my home I could already have the majority of stuff I needed packed in it and just hook it up and GOOOOOOOOOO.

Any thoughts?
    Voltaire: "To find out who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize

2. The Following User Says Thank You to General of Darkness For This Useful Post:

Spun Gold (4th November 2019)

Thanks

Re: Is a travel trailer a stupid idea for TSHTF scenario?

what kind of SHTF are you talking about? Something localized to your city or state, or something national or global?

Is it total SHTF? Good luck feeding with the gas milage between towing the trailer and all your equipment for sustainability.

Do you have a destination thats sustainable to park it and live or are you goign to mad max it and hope you and your pup will defend it alone, against the world?

It worked well for K-os, but her SHTF might be different that yours. She got an RV and bugged out of the gulf coast when things were (and still are) very uncertain from the oil spill. She had destinations to go to that oculd support her and a network of people to contact, and of course, the whole world isnt going to hell yet.

Ask her how viable she thinks it is to just park to RV somewhere totaly random and try to live solo.

From some of your post recently, it seems like you just REALLY want to burn a hole in your pocket some stuff you THINK youll need. If you're going to burn a hole, spend it stuff you KNOW youll need. 10k will get you a decent amount of firearms and ammo, gold or silver, or even a very respectable hydroponics system so you can produce for yourself.

Hell you could probably find a small plot of land outside of the city, an acre or two, put a very small mobile dwelling on it AND set it up with hydro for the price of a nice trave trailer.

Just some ideas my man.
    If someone asks you what good is a hi-cap MAG ban when there are millions of them already around and you answer, "well clips can't be reused" you're switching into full retard mode. -MadFranks

Thanks

Thanks Heim, and that's why I asked the question. FYI, I've got a diesel and one of the plans is to get it to also run on cooking oil. But I do agree with what you're saying.
    Voltaire: "To find out who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,815 Times in 2,260 Posts

I am looking for a travel trailer but not for shtf puposes. I think it would be nice to travel and stop in places for a few days to relax. A travel trailer or a pick-up camper would fit the bill for me. I think that all in all a pu camper would be the best choice for me. I could use it for work and haul my job trailer too. I don't know about the health effects of living in a newer trailer that is still gassing off the formaldehyde used in it's construction.
    Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty." – Socrates

"Communism can be summed up in one sentence: The abolition of private property." ---Karl Marx

"Either you have the right to own property, or you are property." Wayne Hage

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by General of Darkness
    Thanks Heim, and that's why I asked the question. FYI, I've got a diesel and one of the plans is to get it to also run on cooking oil. But I do agree with what you're saying.
    Depends on how things would crumble, But if a true shtf, expect gridlock, major and minor
    roads, out of large city's. Plus again depending, the possibility of road blocks. So as the Brit's say the smaller your "Kit" the more options you will have to move around.

I could see smaller city's and towns, trying to control who comes in and maybe out.
    Ether bunker in , or already have a bol , stocked and locked!

"My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,010 Times in 2,836 Posts

i feel your right about town an citys stoping people from coming in . i for one would not let people i do not know come on my an the people i know around my place would be in the same state of mind at that time also . i think your best bet would be to get a small place then build ity up with a camper are what ever you come up with
    “Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is.” ~ Outlaw Josey Wales…

STOP F*CKING WITH US.

Gold
    Thanks

RV's are little houses on wheels. It would be better than living in a car or a tent. There are literally millions of full-time RVers in the US. You can make them somewhat independent from the grid for electricity with solar panels on the roof with an inverter/charger and a good sized battery bank...I've even heard of people with a composting toilet which would eliminate the black water, and also a small wood stoves for heat, but just like a house, you need outside resources for anything extended.

I've had an VW Westphalia, an Airstream, and now a Class A motorhome...all of them have there pluses and minuses.

Book

Quote Originally Posted by General of Darkness

...just hook it up and GOOOOOOOOOO.
    http://openformarchitecture.files.wo...y-postcard.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DSfDKxojzt...la+freeway.jpg

How far do you think you will get pulling a trailer out of LA wtshtf?

Thanks

Book I'm in Pasadena, north L.A., I'd take the Angeles Crest over the mountains into the high desert. Most people wouldn't even think of that.

Gold
    Thanks

If there was a real SHTF moment, like the Chinese lobbing an ICBM on LA...maybe it would be too late then, but in most situations, if you move early and fast, you get out before anyone has time to panic. It is true with hurricanes, anyway.