Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Is a travel trailer a stupid idea for TSHTF scenario?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,607 Times in 4,200 Posts

Re: Is a travel trailer a stupid idea for TSHTF scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by osoab View Post
    Air conditioner under the bed?
    funny you should 'joke' that... as you'll find in my posts above from last Dec, this RV model features a "basement" AC unit, rather than the more common rooftop ACs in most RVs. Meaning, the unit is in the chassis below the floor... and it just so happens, it IS "under the bed."
    FAKE "ELECTIONS" - Why Ron Paul Can't "Win"

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PatColo View Post
    another "RV/boat thing" that's come up: first "improvement" I made when I "moved in" last Dec was... replace orig queen spring-mattress with a Casper memory foam one from costco.

RV/boat mattresses sit on a flat ply/wood platform. Enter: the moisture problem. Lift mattress & inspect underside to find... general moisture/mold/mildew spots... coz the inability for the underside to MUH BREATHE... I cringe to think if I were in the hot/humid/muggy Southeast! .
    Pat, there shouldn't be moisture under the bed like that. I've lived on two boats for the past 15 years, on the ocean where humidity is very high. Plus, the RV as well. I've never had that problem with moisture under any of those beds. You live in a dry climate. I think you must have leak somewhere causing the moisture problem. It could be getting in the walls from somewhere and pooling up under the bed. Normal condensation shouldn't be getting under the bed.

There's two purchases for boats, and RV's I suppose, that help with a lot with maintenance and comfort. I would never do without them. A pressure washer and a dehumidifier. Condensation and humidity you deal with a lot on boats, and RV's. A $150 dehumidifier from home depot will help a lot with having good air and keeping moisture issues from coming up. Last thing you want is to breathing mold and mildew near your bed as you sleep.
    life is good.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

PatColo (30th May 2020)

Thanks

^ Hitch, were those spring-mattresses in ur boat/rv? Coz this prob appears "unique" to memory/foam mattresses, which are thick/dense foam throughout.

A spring-mattress has the airiness in the main core springs area, + those round metallic air vents built into the sides, which seems to solve internal moisture issue which pure foam mattresses suffer.

lots of articles on this foam mattresses atop flat platforms prob: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=RV+foam+ma...isture+problem

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PatColo For This Useful Post:

Hitch (30th May 2020)

Iridium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,328 Posts

I don't think any of the mattresses were old spring types. The new boat has a real comfy normal house queen mattress. The old boat I had cut out foam and covered it in a water proof casing and put memory foam on top. The RV has a bed above the cab (yes that unfortunate type class C), and I put a memory foam topping on it. It's quite comfy.

I just want you to make sure there's no leaks causing the problem. There might be. I knew of one guy who put in a system to allow air underneath his mattress, mostly for comfort, and it worked out well for him.
    life is good.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitch For This Useful Post:

PatColo (30th May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,636 Times in 3,208 Posts

funny you should 'joke' that... as you'll find in my posts above from last Dec, this RV model features a "basement" AC unit, rather than the more common rooftop ACs in most RVs. Meaning, the unit is in the chassis below the floor... and it just so happens, it IS "under the bed."
    Seems like the heat would give the mold issue. What about some sort of absorbent pad or just a blanket underneath?
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

Thanks

Solution is: something allowing MUH AIR CIRCULATION between mattress & flat wood platform. Here's at least one product offering a 'cure' - HYPERVENT AIRE-FLOW™ MOISTURE BARRIER

looks like it would be
    ~$150 for my queen shit... seems kinda spendy, no? But it certainly appears like a smart design; adds a modest 3/4" height, doesn't compress at all, good indy reviews.

any alt ideas, for a cheaper Home Depot DIY solution? I'd prefer said cure raises the overall mattress height as minimally as possible.
    ^ ordered that HYPERVENT AIRE-FLOW™ MOISTURE BARRIER shite, 10 linear feet of the 39" wide roll, "on sale" @ $9.99 per linear foot... so $107.xx after tax, free shipping. 10' will cover my standard 60x80" queen. My wood platform is actually 58x78", making 1" of mattress overhang on all sides, or coz the head side is pressed to the headboard, 2" overhang at the feet side of the mattress. But the wood platform being 78" long, that's the 39" wide Hypervent shite times 2... perfect.

Gonna take the zip cover off the mattress & launder it, & meanwhile turn the bare foam mattress on it's side on the wood platform, & just let it cook for ~2 days in the big heat expected again this week in Sac - 103 expected Wed... so I'll close the bedroom AC ducts & close the door, & only AC-cool the living area where I'll spend that time (yes the thermo is in the living area!). And I'll sleep on the sofa bed, which I haven't tried yet! Imagining it sucks, I'll appreciate muh cleaned/sterilized & improved (hypervent'ed) main bed setup that much more, when it's all put back together.

Mo beta would be if I could drag the bare foam mattress outside & lean it against the rig, for the raw heat + sun's authentic disinfecting UV rays, but I suspect that'd be frowned upon at this 'nice' RV park. So I'll settle for it cooking on its side in the bedroom, with portable fan + windows/roof vent open. With no AC, & with roof vents open, I've found it runs about 5 degrees WARMER inside the rig, than the ambient temp outside... IE bedroom should be approaching 110 in mid/late afternoon on Wed! Then expect to receive hypervent shite Thurs.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PatColo For This Useful Post:

Hitch (1st June 2020)

Thanks

with the JooCootie-19 social distancing, air travel dead, RV rentals/sales soaring.... lessee how this plays out? some duckduckgo results

Chattanooga area RV travel on the rise amid coronavirus

Times Free Press|1 day ago

Contributed photo by Brianne Lee / The Lee family's RV is seen at Harrison Bay State Park. As people look for ways to get out of town this summer while maintaining social distance during the COVID-19 pandemic, Chattanooga area recreational ... used to." RVs are typically rented through online platforms similar to those used to rent vacation ...

RV rentals spike, signaling socially distanced summer

San Francisco Chronicle|8 days ago

Californians are turning to RV rentals — or dusting off their long-parked "driveway queens" — for summer trips to RV parks and national forests.

'Off the rails': RV sales booming as Bay Area residents hit the road to escape COVID-19 woes

ABC7 San Francisco|2 days ago

Every day it seems, we report another way in which COVID-19 is changing our lives. This week, we add vacations to the list. "Got a bathroom here, a sink, the toilet," said Frederic Neema, as he toured his new,

RV sales and rentals skyrocket in San Diego

KFMB San Diego on MSN.com|22 hours ago

Driveable destinations are the new summer vacation this year during the coronavirus pandemic. RV sales and rentals have spiked across the nation including San Diego. The online RV rental site RVshare reports rentals in the San Diego area for the last week,

Time to hit the road in an RV?

St. Louis Post-Dispatch|16 days ago

M.B. Thomas RV Sales in St. Louis also offers numerous RVs for rent. Each is "locked down ... overlooking Johnson Bay. Area attractions include Campobello Island four miles north, where ...

Traveling and social distancing this summer? Rent (or buy) an RV

Omaha.com|2 days ago

Brett and Chris Naber camp with their dog in the RV campgrounds at Summit Lake State Recreation Area near Tekamah. RV sales are soaring. Jim Swenson knows exactly why recreational vehicles are so popular.

Trading square footage for freedom: What tiny home vanlife is like during quarantine

MyNorthwest.com|11 days ago

"I knew that I didn't want to pay rent anymore in the San Francisco Bay Area." Hanes had worked ... "I cover everything from camper-vans to RVs, to boating to tiny homes, and ways for ...

RV travel soars for summer trips as air travel stalls

SFGate|13 days ago

Summer travel via recreational vehicle or RV could hit record levels this summer. Hitting the road in a self-contained cocoon, which travelers can sanitize to their liking, is on roll as gasoline prices tumble and Americans seek ways to express their pent up demand to get out of the house.

RVs are in high demand for Wisconsin vacationers looking for a break from COVID-19

We Are Green Bay|3 days ago

With many people fearful of traveling in the age of COVID-19, campgrounds and RVs are becoming very popular. Local 5 discovered that social distancing is driving the camping

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PatColo For This Useful Post:

monty (16th June 2020)

Thanks

NZ story, almost completely behind paywall, but headline telling... I haven't paid attention to whether USA RV sales/rental demand has stayed strong w jooflu19 or if it's weakened now we're at the cusp of winter -- but I expect NZ's RV rentals are nearly all foreign tourist based, while USA's is heavily domestic customers? So, very diff markets.

Oh yeah, & NZ is on the cusp of Southern Hemisphere Summer...

Tourism Holdings, Vodafone and Tourism New Zealand in work from motorhome campaign

1 Dec, 2020 03:00 PM

Tourism Holdings hopes to boost soft demand with discounts for Work from Anywhere rentals.

By: Grant Bradley
    Aviation, tourism and energy writer for the NZ Herald
    grant.bradley@nzherald.co.nz@gbradleynz

Tourism Holdings has slashed motorhome rates by up to 40 per cent in a ''Work from Anywhere'' campaign.

It is aimed at boosting demand during what threatens to be a soft summer for motorhome rentals...

rest behind paywall...
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...XSQBZY7G3XR7E/

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PatColo For This Useful Post:

Cebu_4_2 (2nd December 2020)