Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Is a travel trailer a stupid idea for TSHTF scenario?

Militant Wing of the Salvation Army midnight rambler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,855 Times in 7,912 Posts

Re: Is a travel trailer a stupid idea for TSHTF scenario?

Book, I have to wonder what the component is where you feel compelled to mind the business of others. I'm guessing it has to be some sort of neurosis.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

Book

Quote Originally Posted by General of Darkness
    Just kinda been toying with the idea. Right now you can get 30K trailers that are a year old for under 10K and was just think that if I had to bug out and I was buy my home I could already have the majority of stuff I needed packed in it and just hook it up and GOOOOOOOOOO.

Any thoughts?

solid

Quote Originally Posted by StackerKen
    General; I agree with the others that say "get a BOL"

Many lots already have a Mobile-home, septic and well for not much more money
    That's a real nice peace of land near you stackerken!

I think general's mind is in the right place. General, I've been looking at small cabins in the mountains, 2/3 hours away from me. It seems you can get a nice small place for 70-80K, lot's of space, streams, fishing. Not only for a BOL, but also to get out of the city and get back to nature.

The RV is a good idea, but you still need a place to go. A small cabin, imo, is a better idea for me that is.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Book
    Quote Originally Posted by General of Darkness
    Just kinda been toying with the idea. Right now you can get 30K trailers that are a year old for under 10K and was just think that if I had to bug out and I was buy my home I could already have the majority of stuff I needed packed in it and just hook it up and GOOOOOOOOOO.

Any thoughts?
    You've made over 4 posts on this thread and have yet to add anything beyond your initial obvious point that even an 8 y.o. would grasp on his or her own without your 'help'.

Book, you have a history going back years where you like to browbeat others towards your POV. Bucking the system comes to mind - whenever someone brings up bucking the system you pooh-pooh the notion.
    "A man is to be held accountable for the thoughts he chooses to entertain." --Richard Alan Miller

"If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable-what then?" --George Orwell

"It's not a matter of what is true (reality) that counts but a matter of what is perceived to be true (reality)." --Henry Kissinger

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by solid
    General; I agree with the others that say "get a BOL"

Many lots already have a Mobile-home, septic and well for not much more money
    That's a real nice peace of land near you stackerken!

I think general's mind is in the right place. General, I've been looking at small cabins in the mountains, 2/3 hours away from me. It seems you can get a nice small place for 70-80K, lot's of space, streams, fishing. Not only for a BOL, but also to get out of the city and get back to nature.

The RV is a good idea, but you still need a place to go. A small cabin, imo, is a better idea for me that is.
    I'm fairly certain GoD has longer range plans which he doesn't want to derail by making in investment of nearly 100k in a piece of expensive dirt.

Thanks

Yep. A+ Excellent idea for anyone that can afford it.

small cabin in the mountains

[img width=600 height=399]http://www.rivercrealty.com/H-045%20cabin.jpg[/img]

What could be better than that?

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." T.J.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. (MJK)

Silence is Treason!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,726 Times in 1,502 Posts

I think it's a great idea. We have a thirty footer here of course we use it for camping and such. Right now it's loaded with dry goods and other necessities and i could hook on and be gone in 10 minutes that is if i had 10 minutes 5 would really be pushing it but in a life and death situation a person can be extremely motivated.

We have land 20 to 30 miles away that is surrounded by hutterite colonies and a brother on land about the same distance. If i need to go father i can but i don't own any land out there but it is so desolate less than 1 person per square mile you think you're the last person on earth out there.

No problems getting out of the small city we live in here that i can for see except perhaps some sort of lock down where the military isn't letting anyone in or out of town.

Oh wait, this is Canada we don't have a military up here we're under the US umbrella.

"Here they defended themselves to the last, such as still had swords using them, and the other resisting with their hands and teeth"

Herodotus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by midnight rambler

I'm fairly certain GoD has longer range plans which he doesn't want to derail by making in investment of nearly 100k in a piece of expensive dirt.
    expensive dirt can grow food

And IMO its a good time to be buying Dirt.

I wish I could buy more. I would love to buy the 5 acres next to me
    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." T.J.

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. (MJK)

Silence is Treason!

Thanks

Yep. A+ Excellent idea for anyone that can afford it.

small cabin in the mountains

[img width=600 height=399]http://www.rivercrealty.com/H-045%20cabin.jpg[/img]

What could be better than that?
    A getaway on the Adriatic Sea.

http://croatiapropertydevelopment.co...Trogir%201.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts

Self contained rv's are nice , tong pulled, goos-neck for the larger ones. Size depends on how
    much stuff you want to carry with you. Unless you have a destination that have supplys, you
    would have to carry all with you.

I made the commit about gridlock , because that is what will happen to all roads, but with warning and you acting on it, and getting out before the panic sets in, you may not have a
    problem. But what I said about other city's and towns and roadblocks still stand! I would avoid the major interstates and highways. All it would take is a few wrecks in the right place and
    nothing moves.

Or maybe look into a self contained cab over camper and pulling a supply trailer loaded with
    what you need?
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."