Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe to use Cephalexin (Antibiotic) 6 months past expiration date? Yes or no?

Electrum
    Thanks

Safe to use Cephalexin (Antibiotic) 6 months past expiration date? Yes or no?

For the first time since I started to stock up on antibiotics and some other meds incase the SHTF I am having to dip into them. I think I am coming down with a nasty upper respiratory infection.

I bought a bunch of the Fish Flex antibiotics and the damn Cephalexin which is what is recommended in this situation expired on 08/2010. 6 months after the expiration date I think I will be alright taking them. I plan to take 1 twice a day for ten days.

So am I dumb to do this or will I live to see next week taking them?
    &quot;GIM2 is for bitches and snitches.&quot;<br /><br />Mr. Rebates 3% eBay Cashback&nbsp; If you buy a bunch off eBay signup for 3% additional cashback through Mr. Rebates.&nbsp; Also up to 15% cashback at other major websites.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 714 Posts

Re: Safe to use Cephalexin (Antibiotic) 6 months past expiration date? Yes or no?

I think you will live. I don't know how well they work, I know he tried them and they didn't work at all.

Good Luck
    The harder I work, the Luckier I get!

Rebel Without a Clue sirgonzo420's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 665 Posts

Re: Safe to use Cephalexin (Antibiotic) 6 months past expiration date? Yes or no?

Many antibiotics, such as erythromycin, turn toxic past expiration.

How long past expiration, I'm not at liberty to say.

VERITAS LVX MEA ET VINCIT OMNIA VERITAS.
    All Rights Reserved. - No liability assumed. - No value assured. - Without recourse. - Not amenable to process. - Not to be construed as legal advice. - From without the UNITED STATES.
    Send me encrypted msg/mail with PGP! ---> http://tiny.cc/dpr6ew

Rebel Without a Clue sirgonzo420's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 665 Posts

Also, even if they don't become toxic, virtually all antibiotics degrade and become less potent over time, which makes them less effective in fighting bacteria and may end up making the bacteria stronger, depending on the level of degredation.

But I'm not a medical doctor.

VERITAS LVX MEA ET VINCIT OMNIA VERITAS.
    All Rights Reserved. - No liability assumed. - No value assured. - Without recourse. - Not amenable to process. - Not to be construed as legal advice. - From without the UNITED STATES.
    Send me encrypted msg/mail with PGP! ---> http://tiny.cc/dpr6ew

Platinum
    Thanks

antibiotics are notoriously unstable. Gotta keep them in dark,cool and dry place I guess.

before playing with expired antibiotics, use google search and find out what is in store for you.
    O tempora, O mores!<br />&quot;Only the small secrets need to be protected. The big ones are kept secret by public incredulity&quot; <br />Marshall McLuhan

Thanks
    Thanked 1,996 Times in 1,240 Posts

Since the S has not HTF yet, why not just buy fresh fish meds ?

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,790 Times in 2,128 Posts

"Don't pluck with your brain, pal. It ain't worth it"

Electrum
    Thanks

These have been stored in a dark cool and dry place the entire time I have had them.

The reason I haven't gone out to buy more is because so far everything I am finding on Google is showing these don't go toxic like some other antibiotics, and that yes they do lose a little of their potency over time.

I was just wondering if anyone has experience in this type of situation with antibiotics from this forum.

I guess I will report back with the results in a few days if I go through with it. I may wait another 24 hours to see how I feel tomorrow evening.

Anyone have any good natural remedies for a possible upper respiratory infection?
    &quot;GIM2 is for bitches and snitches.&quot;<br /><br />Mr. Rebates 3% eBay Cashback&nbsp; If you buy a bunch off eBay signup for 3% additional cashback through Mr. Rebates.&nbsp; Also up to 15% cashback at other major websites.

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,790 Times in 2,128 Posts

ok...

Thanks

I did about 3 weeks ago Cephalexin was over 2 yrs past exp date.

I had an infection on my leg and I 'm still here.

This is not to say you should do it however I haven't noticed any harm as of yet.