Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Nitty Gritty on Nickels.

Platinum
    Thanks

Re: The Nitty Gritty on Nickels.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangsta99
    I mean it is amazing how much I am sure you are up in the silver and or gold game, but $12k in Nickels that could have been $12k spent over that time on silver or gold?
    At 7.5 cents per nickel, If you "buy" $1,000 in nickels, you have $1,500 in metal bought UNDER spot with NO premiums. Add future inflation + rising demands in quickly industrializing nations like China and India-- Ah forget about it... I'm not wasting my breath any more. They said the same about hoarding 90% in '65...

nickels are heavy.
    Mud is even heavier but not only no premiums, it`s free...
    O tempora, O mores!<br />&quot;Only the small secrets need to be protected. The big ones are kept secret by public incredulity&quot; <br />Marshall McLuhan

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 607 Posts

As "cute" as it is to be stacking mad amounts of nickels I just don't get it. You have no ROI by doing this and this is barely a step above just having a mattress full of FRNs at least until the dollar is truly worthless.

I mean it is amazing how much I am sure you are up in the silver and or gold game, but $12k in Nickels that could have been $12k spent over that time on silver or gold?

That makes no damn sense.

When the zombies attack you can hide in a fortress made of TP and defend yourself with rolls of nickels.
    Like Chad sez, "crazy town".

Everyone's right here. At some level, hoarding copper and nickels probably won't make anybody rich, and it may even have opportunity cost, e.g. tying money up that could be spent on other preps. At some other level, there's something satisfying about accepting the 40% immediate gain in melt value every time you get one. It's about the principle, not the principal. (Pretty clever, huh?) On some third level, if we do have a global currency collapse, each nickel may buy you an egg or a bar a soap or, dare I say, a roll of toilet paper.

Like Ponce sez, just covering all the bases. (Although Ponce seems to be completely smothering all of his bases.)

RJB

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio
    At 7.5 cents per nickel, If you "buy" $1,000 in nickels, you have $1,500 in metal bought UNDER spot with NO premiums. Add future inflation + rising demands in quickly industrializing nations like China and India-- Ah forget about it... I'm not wasting my breath any more. They said the same about hoarding 90% in '65...
    nickels are heavy.
    When I can dig up a shovel full of nickels in my backyard, your analogy might mean something.

Why don't you go harrass Magnes or General of Darkness

Platinum
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    As "cute" as it is to be stacking mad amounts of nickels I just don't get it. You have no ROI by doing this and this is barely a step above just having a mattress full of FRNs at least until the dollar is truly worthless.

That makes no damn sense.

When the zombies attack you can hide in a fortress made of TP and defend yourself with rolls of nickels.
    Like Chad sez, "crazy town".

Everyone's right here. At some level, hoarding copper and nickels probably won't make anybody rich, and it may even have opportunity cost, e.g. tying money up that could be spent on other preps. At some other level, there's something satisfying about accepting the 40% immediate gain in melt value every time you get one. It's about the principle, not the principal. (Pretty clever, huh?) On some third level, if we do have a global currency collapse, each nickel may buy you an egg or a bar a soap or, dare I say, a roll of toilet paper.

Like Ponce sez, just covering all the bases. (Although Ponce seems to be completely smothering all of his bases.)
    WTSHTF I`ll be buying eggs and soap wholesale with 1 silver dime. A Jew is always ahead of the game
    O tempora, O mores!<br />&quot;Only the small secrets need to be protected. The big ones are kept secret by public incredulity&quot; <br />Marshall McLuhan

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,916 Posts

You guys might be making fun of me by saying that I should also save bricks and mud.......but you know what ....... YOU ARE RIGHT........because one of the times that I went to Cuba I took ten grand just to fix my dad's house and I was unable to find the needed materials to do it with........................now then, I wonder where I can keep 10,000 bricks at?

Many buy new cars and new planes and so on.........soon I'll be able to buy from them for .02 cents what they paid 1.00 for.............and remember.......my $5.16 silver is now worth over $30.00 so that what I really would be paying them is nothing.
    "If you don't hold it, you don't own it"... Ponce

"I'll never stop learning because I'll never stop reading"... Ponce

Platinum
    Thanks

nickels are heavy.
    When I can dig up a shovel full of nickels in my backyard, your analogy might mean something.

Why don't you go harrass Magnes or General of Darkness
    I know a rabid Zionist Jew who worked all his life in construction, a beefy dude. He rips out copper from old NYC crackhouses. Now this is meaningful activity. His copper is free.

RJB

I know a rabid Zionist Jew who worked all his life in construction, a beefy dude. He rips out copper from old NYC crackhouses. Now this is meaningful activity. His copper is free.
    Point taken. Forget banks. Where's them crack houses?

Platinum
    Thanks

Point taken. Forget banks. Where's them crack houses?
    I would tell you in a second if I knew, bro. But I`ve never smoked crack, I swear.
    The dude who rips out the copper is also into drugs, he knows his way about NYC a lot better than I do.

Electrum
    Thanks

At 7.5 cents per nickel, If you "buy" $1,000 in nickels, you have $1,500 in metal bought UNDER spot with NO premiums. Add future inflation + rising demands in quickly industrializing nations like China and India-- Ah forget about it... We've stated all this before. They said the same about hoarding 90% in '65...

So you are telling me I can go and buy $1000 in Nickels and flip it for $1500 right now? I am pretty sure if this actually was possible there would be about zero nickels left in circulation now.

I mean I would really start doing this right now if refineries were paying ANY preminum on nickels but correct me if I am wrong but they are not.
    &quot;GIM2 is for bitches and snitches.&quot;<br /><br />Mr. Rebates 3% eBay Cashback&nbsp; If you buy a bunch off eBay signup for 3% additional cashback through Mr. Rebates.&nbsp; Also up to 15% cashback at other major websites.

RJB

At 7.5 cents per nickel, If you "buy" $1,000 in nickels, you have $1,500 in metal bought UNDER spot with NO premiums. Add future inflation + rising demands in quickly industrializing nations like China and India-- Ah forget about it... We've stated all this before. They said the same about hoarding 90% in '65...
    So you are telling me I can go and buy $1000 in Nickels and flip it for $1500 right now? I am pretty sure if this actually was possible there would be about zero nickels left in circulation now.

I mean I would really start doing this right now if refineries were paying ANY preminum on nickels but correct me if I am wrong but they are not.
    You can't melt them now, but we're a group with an eye on the future