Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back Pain from weight lifting

Gold
    Thanks

Back Pain from weight lifting

I recently started lifting weights again regularly in January. I've worked my way up to some pretty good weight levels. I have recently developed back pain as a result of doing squats and deadlifts without a weight belt. I've read that it is better do do squats/deadlifts without the belt to build up the torso muscles. However, now i'm to the point of discomfort throughout the day. My last workout I was squatting 270 + bar for 8 reps, however i needed to wear a belt.
    I'm to the point of getting some real gains, but my back is killing me. I don't want to stop but i will have to take some time off. Anybody know some stretches etc. for relieving back pain??

Brew Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,538 Posts

Re: Back Pain from weight lifting

The little lady told me to tell you to lighten up on the weight.

HTH...

By way of decoction, thou shalt do wort.

Gold
    Thanks

Unless you have some more serious back issue going on, you're form on deadlifts is wrong.

Proper form deadlifts do no hurt. You can get pretty sore back there if you are lifting max weight though.

Find some videos on youtube with proper form and once your back starts feeling better practice.

Even with proper form though, like I said, if you're maxing out and hitting new max's you will be sore.

That's how I see it.

Gold
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kali
    Unless you have some more serious back issue going on, you're form on deadlifts is wrong.

Proper form deadlifts do no hurt. You can get pretty sore back there if you are lifting max weight though.

Find some videos on youtube with proper form and once your back starts feeling better practice.

Even with proper form though, like I said, if you're maxing out and hitting new max's you will be sore.

That's how I see it.
    It was the squats that triggered it, but the deadlifts aren't helping either. Funny thing is it didn't hurt whan i was exercising, but only afterwards when I cool off. It does feel better when I wear a belt though...

Gold
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrewTech
    The little lady told me to tell you to lighten up on the weight.

HTH...

Maybe i am moving up in weight a little too quickly. The muscles can do it, but the bones/disks/ligaments/etc. aren't keeping up. Brewtech, what does HTH mean?

Platinum
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skid
    I recently started lifting weights again regularly in January. I've worked my way up to some pretty good weight levels. I have recently developed back pain as a result of doing squats and deadlifts without a weight belt. I've read that it is better do do squats/deadlifts without the belt to build up the torso muscles. However, now i'm to the point of discomfort throughout the day. My last workout I was squatting 270 + bar for 8 reps, however i needed to wear a belt.
    I'm to the point of getting some real gains, but my back is killing me. I don't want to stop but i will have to take some time off. Anybody know some stretches etc. for relieving back pain??
    Congrats on moving big iron around! Wearing a belt is not cheating but a necessity, never lift heavy without one. As for stretching, always do a complete stretch of every leg, back and torso muscle b4 doing squats and deads plus HANG from a chinup bar for as long as you can, several sets of this. I usually stretch for at least good 20 minutes b4 doing squats/deads.
    O tempora, O mores!<br />&quot;Only the small secrets need to be protected. The big ones are kept secret by public incredulity&quot; <br />Marshall McLuhan

Electrum
    Thanks

Cobra.

Palladium
    Thanks

Try sitting Indian style and leaning forward as if you're trying to touch your nose to the ground. Keep yor back straight. Also try standing on hands and knees and alternately Tilting your pelvic bone (google pelvic rocking).
    I spend so much time believing all the lies<br />To keep the dream alive now it makes me sad<br />It makes me mad at truth for loving what was you

Great Value Carrots
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 734 Posts

Sounds like me when my lower back gets a tear.
    1 1/2 weeks to heal, movement while it heals is good, but no real straining of course.
    Stretches or massage to keep things from seizing up.
    They went to war with Human Nature, Cold and Flu Season and the Weather!
    Corporation, a fiction legitimized by government, is part of big government
    Their men were like women and their women were like Jews

Thanks
    Thanked 7,785 Times in 4,994 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by keehah
    Sounds like me when my lower back gets a tear.
    1 1/2 weeks to heal, movement while it heals is good, but no real straining of course.
    Stretches or massage to keep things from seizing up.
    Good advice! Get a couple of weeks of rest from the lifting Skid! If after that you still feel pain/strain go and see a good chiropractor (one who primarily works with his hands, not using a lot of physiotherapy equipment).
    Cultural Marxism: -The idea that good, hard working, white people should pay for those who are not, and thus in the name of equality create the conditions for their own genetic annihilation