Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: The CAFR (Comprehensive Annual Financial Report) Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,415 Posts

Re: The CAFR (Comprehensive Annual Financial Report) Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Skirnir_ View Post
    You might well think that again. Fatuous sentiments of egalitarianism are best banished by observing other people. The mental faculties to comprehend complex ideas, patterns, etc. are lost on the overwhelming majority of the population.
    This is a complicated discussion. I don't think all people or all living things are equal, but rather we're all relatively similar. As an example - we can say that the vast majority of us are all like acorns. Now, in a sea of acorns, some are clearly superior to others. Some are perfectly symmetrical, properly colored, and have the best nutrients. Others might be broken or half-rotted...maybe they can't even sprout. In this case, there are huge distinctions. However, we have the potential to grow into a massive oak tree. 99.99% of us will never achieve that. So in summary, yes, you and I are probably superior to the vast majority of others, but we are still closer to them than beings much greater than us. Just like the acorn isn't even aware of the existence of the oak tree because it is so much larger than it, we can't necessarily even recognize our own relative significance.

You are likely referencing this post wherein I quoted Von Mises from Human Action wherein he was critical of the "holistic and metaphysical view of society".

What is commonly referred to as a society is merely a composite of individuals...95% of them of dull-normal intelligence at best. It does not act, only individuals act.
    I am not concerned with the organization of society, whether it be based on obedience to faith or it be a secular liberal society. There are many other things that bind it such as culture and moral values. The key thing is that it behaves as a single organism.

In passing, I detest the phrase 'wake up' since it is often the equivalent of a chemist drawing a circle on a whiteboard and writing 'something happens here'.
    I completely understand, and feel the same way when other people use that term. However when I use it, it has a precise meaning. It is the state of self-remembering. Basically, what it means is you observe yourself at all times, which leads to self-awareness.

The brain-dead will not will not 'wake up' for the same reason Polyphemus never saw again after a certain encounter: he lacked the means to do so.
    The process is actually more emotional than it is intellectual. That's why reason will never work, because intellectual thoughts are an effect, not a cause. This is why whenever public opinion is steered, it's never through discourse. Rather it's through emotional appeal, or more fundamentally, through impressions. That's why traumatic events can change us unlike other things - because they change our impressions.

http://www.swamij.com/images/karma-01.gif

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vacuum For This Useful Post:

Hatha Sunahara (15th July 2012),Libertytree (15th July 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,367 Times in 1,125 Posts

I was posing a serious question above. Who gets the money when the people in the organizations who collected excess tax money no longer have the organizations that can do this? Who does the accumulated wealth belong to? It is certainly not in the possession of the 'people'.

My curiosity arises from what I have been learning recently about the US declaring bankruptcy in 1933. Most people do not know this since it is not in the history books. Apparently WW I, the first war funded entirely by debt to the international bankers, and the failure of the government to collect enough income taxes from the people caused the government to become insolvent. They could not pay interest on the debt, and the international bankers took ownership of the country. They first removed the gold from circulation, and it is a big mystery where that went. Then they made slaves of all the people with birth certificates and all sorts of licenses and registrations. Nobody seems to understand that they are slaves. Nor that the government is their master. They still teach the constitution and bill of rights in school, although those organic documents mean nothing today.

So, once you are separated from your money by paying your taxes, if it is excess to the needs of the masters, who owns the money? The fact that our politicians do not want to talk about it means that it is a really big issue. It is so big that it can cause some tears in the fabric of our consciousness--that deeply buried source of our understanding of the world. If all this wealth exists, why are so many governments going belly up? And why are the politicians trying to hide it? Do they think we are not capable of handling the truth?

Hatha
    Cosmic justice is getting what you deserve.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hatha Sunahara For This Useful Post:

dys (22nd October 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,833 Times in 999 Posts

Well, as far as CAFR goes, isn't most of the money tied up in the Market and the GovCorp fascist hegemony?
    I wonder, if they redirected that flow of monies to where it truly belongs, in the hands and interests of the people,
    how long could the bulk of the Corporate world survive? I'd bet it wouldn't be long. I'd bet multinational GovCorp monopolies are far less "efficient" than we've been led to believe by media propaganda.
    "Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who say they found it."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Santa For This Useful Post:

AndreaGail (15th July 2012)

Gold
    Thanks

In regards to vacuum's post, I should again quote Von Mises:

According to the doctrines of universalism, conceptual realism, holism, collectivism, and some representatives of Gestaltpsychologie, society is an entity living its own life, independent of and separate from the lives of the various individuals, acting on its own behalf and aiming at its own ends which are different from the ends sought by the individuals. Then, of course, an antagonism between the aims of society and those of its members can emerge. In order to safeguard the flowering and further development of society it becomes necessary to master the selfishness of the individuals and to compel them to sacrifice their egoistic designs to the benefit of society. At this point all these holistic doctrines are bound to abandon the secular methods of human science and logical reasoning and to shift to theological or metaphysical professions of faith. They must assume that Providence, through its prophets, apostles, and charismatic leaders, forces men who are constitutionally wicked, i.e., prone to pursue their own ends, to walk in the ways of righteousness which the Lord or Weltgeist or history wants them to walk.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,415 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skirnir_ View Post
    In regards to vacuum's post, I should again quote Von Mises:
    According to the doctrines of universalism, conceptual realism, holism, collectivism, and some representatives of Gestaltpsychologie, society is an entity living its own life, independent of and separate from the lives of the various individuals, acting on its own behalf and aiming at its own ends which are different from the ends sought by the individuals. Then, of course, an antagonism between the aims of society and those of its members can emerge. In order to safeguard the flowering and further development of society it becomes necessary to master the selfishness of the individuals and to compel them to sacrifice their egoistic designs to the benefit of society. At this point all these holistic doctrines are bound to abandon the secular methods of human science and logical reasoning and to shift to theological or metaphysical professions of faith. They must assume that Providence, through its prophets, apostles, and charismatic leaders, forces men who are constitutionally wicked, i.e., prone to pursue their own ends, to walk in the ways of righteousness which the Lord or Weltgeist or history wants them to walk.
    In order to really discuss this we'd have to have the proper context. If we don't agree on what man is, what his role is in the universe, and certain laws on how the universe works, then we wouldn't even be discussing the same thing.

Furthermore, if we disagree on the methods used to determine the truth, and on the nature of truth itself, then we couldn't even discuss the above perquisites.

I read chapter 8 that the quote comes from when you first quoted it in the other thread, and I found it to be interesting and useful. But I don't think it's contradicting what I'm saying.

Thanks

Prerequisites, my friend. Let us not disagree on terms when arguing obsequious ideas with assholes.
    Patience comes to those who wait.....calculate distance, drop, wind speed, relax and gently commit.

Once the economist's neurons and dendrites are fully programmed (usually for life), economists serve as robotic broadcasting devices explicitly designed to hide the political nature of the economy from the public. In other words, the economist serves no function in society except to protect the ruling elites from public scrutiny while they loot the planet. Jay Hanson

Thanks
    Thanked 6,607 Times in 4,200 Posts

FAKE "ELECTIONS" - Why Ron Paul Can't "Win"

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

Platinum
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatColo View Post
    Can't get the link to work.

dys
    Now as he walked by the sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. <br />And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men.<br />Mark 16-17

Thanks
    Thanked 6,607 Times in 4,200 Posts

the "Download" link? should work. points to:
    http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/83k4h8...2013.05.12.mp3

also at What's Ailing America with Dr Rebecca Carley 2013.05.12 there's a "Listen" player, but I believe it pulls from that same url ^.
    FAKE "ELECTIONS" - Why Ron Paul Can't "Win"

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

Platinum
    Thanks

bump
    Now as he walked by the sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. <br />And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men.<br />Mark 16-17