Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: this may be a dumb question, but....

freespirit

this may be a dumb question, but....

as i watch the spot price on silver fluctuate, i wonder.....

is the actual value of one ounce of silver (currently $36.17) gaining & losing value exclusively (on it's own merits), or is it also reflecting the fluctuation of the FRN's purchasing power, and if so, to what extent?

i may not be asking this question properly, but maybe another way to put it is, is the silver gaining and losing value, or is it the FRN that silvers' value is based upon?

like i said, may be a dumb question....

Thanks
    Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,640 Posts

Re: this may be a dumb question, but....

Quote Originally Posted by freespirit
    as i watch the spot price on silver fluctuate, i wonder.....

is the actual value of one ounce of silver (currently $36.17) gaining & losing value exclusively (on it's own merits), or is it also reflecting the fluctuation of the FRN's purchasing power, and if so, to what extent?

i may not be asking this question properly, but maybe another way to put it is, is the silver gaining and losing value, or is it the FRN that silvers' value is based upon?

like i said, may be a dumb question....
    Silver is appreciating relative to gold, so it's price reflects it's higher intrinsic value over and above nominal price increases secondary to inflation.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. -Benjamin Franklin
    Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite. -Charles Spurgeon

freespirit

thanks, mamboni...that helps, but i'm still a little foggy on the whole thing.

sorry, this is all new to me....

i'm not sure i even know how to ask my question...lol

thanks nonetheless....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 607 Posts

Both. I can think of 3 things that effect the spot silver price:

- Domestic inflation.
    - Dollar devaluation relative to other currencies. "International" inflation, if you will.
    - Speculation.

Of these three, speculation is the one that causes the chatter in the daily spot prices, and the short-intermediate rises and falls. The other two determine the long term trend.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

it's like a clock with millions of parts affecting the motion - market manipulators, Talmud-worshippers, just plain folks, G-S.us'ers, new participants ... etc.
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

freespirit

would it be fair to say that the "actual value" could be expressed as say, 2-3% less or more (for example) than the "quoted value", having taken these variables into effect? or would it be better to consider the average spot price over say a 6 month period to get a more accurate depiction of value.

i understand that there is a difference between price and value, i hope i am able to express myself clearly enough, i am still very green with PM's....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky

- Domestic inflation.
    - Dollar devaluation relative to other currencies. "International" inflation, if you will.
    - Speculation.

Of these three, speculation is the one that causes the chatter in the daily spot prices, and the short-intermediate rises and falls. The other two determine the long term trend.
    Would you lump consumption in with speculation? I would say consumption has become a measurable indicator to track.
    I'd like to think that all of this constant interaction is just the kind of make you drive yourself away
    Each simple gesture done by me is counteracted and leaves me standing here with nothing else to say

Completely baffled by a backward indication that an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation have simply halted and now the conversation's done

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by undgrd
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky

- Domestic inflation.
    - Speculation.

Would you lump consumption in with speculation? I would say consumption has become a measurable indicator to track.
    That's a good question. I would say it's a component of speculation, but so is inflation. So I guess it should be identified independently as a 4th "thing". But it changes slowly, like inflation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freespirit
    would it be fair to say that the "actual value" could be expressed as say, 2-3% less or more (for example) than the "quoted value", having taken these variables into effect? or would it be better to consider the average spot price over say a 6 month period to get a more accurate depiction of value.

i understand that there is a difference between price and value, i hope i am able to express myself clearly enough, i am still very green with PM's....
    Hard to define "actual value" with precious metals. Silver has industrial uses that give it a fundamental supply/demand value. But it also has a precious metal component, which is very difficult to pin down. The main value in precious metals is "perceived". In some respect, this is very similar to fiat money. (GSUS blasphemy!) The thing that sets PM apart is that there is a limited supply that is costly to add to. Gold also does have some industrial use, and it's visually appealing, which establishes an intrinsic value that is not present in other "rare" tangibles.

To more directly answer your question, I think a multi-month average of spot price is a better gauge of underlying established value. Most of us here think it is currently under-valued, but that has yet to be established.

BANNED (Permanent)
    Thanks

What if one (prior to boating accidents and prone to absent-mindedness) has more ounces of gold than silver? Would it be wise to trade some gold to have more silver?