Thread: A nickel is worth less than, well, 5 cents!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,345 Posts

A nickel is worth less than, well, 5 cents!

The nickel has just dropped in value to a bit less than 5 cents (03OCT2011).

4.87 cents

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/194...kel-Value.html

A pre-1982 penny is still worth 2 cents:

2.04 cents

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/190...nny-Value.html

Thanks
    Thanked 4,636 Times in 3,208 Posts
    So everyone that bought at 6-7 cents are now down 20-40% in melt value terms. It can be nice to have denominated metal coins.
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by osoab View Post
    So everyone that bought at 6-7 cents are now down 20-40% in melt value terms. It can be nice to have denominated metal coins.
    True, but they were bought at 5 cents, and are still worth 5 cents, so no loss. If you used the nickels to buy palladium, you would be in good shape!

I have bought a couple of bunches of nickels, and automatically sort them out, and see no long term reason to stop.

Joe King
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnQPublic View Post
    True, but they were bought at 5 cents, and are still worth 5 cents, so no loss. If you used the nickels to buy palladium, you would be in good shape!

I have bought a couple of bunches of nickels, and automatically sort them out, and see no long term reason to stop.
    What do you sort them for? Dates? I just throw all the ones I get in a big jar. Sometimes I even ask for my change back in nickels to get more. They add up fairly quick.

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,790 Times in 2,128 Posts
    TPTB... "More for us... None for you..." Bwahahahaha!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
    What do you sort them for? Dates? I just throw all the ones I get in a big jar. Sometimes I even ask for my change back in nickels to get more. They add up fairly quick.
    I do the same. Nickels are nickels (unless you get real lucky and find a buffalo). I also try and buy Canadian .999 nickel nickels, but they are hard to get these days (I have one roll).

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts
    I always sort my nickels too, yes searching for dates. Silver war nickels are the ones from 1942-45 and have a huge mint mark on the reverse:

Attachment 1213

They are worth $1.73 in silver content right now.

Then there's the 1955-D Jefferson nickel which in mint state shape is worth $75.

Also, there's the occasional Buffalo Nickel as well, but those are hard to come by in circulation, harder than the silver nickels!
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Joe King
    How many have you actually found? I haven't gotten a war nickel in change {that I've noticed} since I was a kid. Although I'm sure there are some still out there. Maybe I just notice the dimes quarters and halves more often due to the obvious edges.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts
    How many have you actually found? I haven't gotten a war nickel in change {that I've noticed} since I was a kid. Although I'm sure there are some still out there. Maybe I just notice the dimes quarters and halves more often due to the obvious edges.
    Here's my confession: I started buying boxes of nickels just to store, but the numismatist in me couldn't keep them sealed, so I opened them all and sorted them. I averaged about two silver war nickels per 3 boxes of nickels. So yes, they're hard to come by, but there are few people who know a silver silver coin when they see it, even fewer who recognize a silver nickel. Keep your eyes open and you'll find them.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Thanks
    Thanked 7,785 Times in 4,994 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by madfranks View Post
    Here's my confession: I started buying boxes of nickels just to store, but the numismatist in me couldn't keep them sealed, so I opened them all and sorted them. I averaged about two silver war nickels per 3 boxes of nickels. So yes, they're hard to come by, but there are few people who know a silver silver coin when they see it, even fewer who recognize a silver nickel. Keep your eyes open and you'll find them.
    So you came out of the closet! You silver collector you!