Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Applying logic to religion (folly, I know)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 607 Posts

Re: Applying logic to religion (folly, I know)

Quote Originally Posted by bellevuebully
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    Who says God is omnipresent? Does the bible tell us that?
    I think this brings up another important question. If it is in the bible, would you believe it? Not posing this question directly to you Sparky. Moreso as a broad general question to believers on this board. The reason I think it is a relevant question is because I see a lot of tendancy for many to pick and chose what they find in scripture while discounting major portions which have been considereded historically sound doctrine and theology.
    My answer is yes, but subject to interpretation (exegesis, really) and context.

For instance, I'm not sure what to do with some of it (like Leviticus); I "believe" it, but struggle with the application.

Silver
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dys
    Quote Originally Posted by Answer2me
    Why do I believe?
    I believe because I've lived it.

Why don't others believe? Because of Satan.

....He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
    John 8:44

dys
    Do you not think others have "lived it" and come to a different conclusion?
    No Sir, I do not think that. I know my father and He does not lie.

dys
    So you don't believe that other people who have lived a life full of their own experiences, who have come to a different conclusion about religion philosophy than you, are simple wrong because they don't believe what you do??

I would say to you, travel the world see first hand different cultures, experience life for what it is, not from your churchs point of view, or through mission trips, then we can discuss.

Is not the point of this forum to broden your perspective? Why do post if only to defend your point of view? If you can't open yourself to the fact that you could be wrong than you have nothing to learn, you would be perfect and would have know use for Antyones perspective.
    Be cool,<br />Answer2me

Platinum
    Thanks

Who says God is omnipresent? Does the bible tell us that?
    I think this brings up another important question. If it is in the bible, would you believe it? Not posing this question directly to you Sparky. Moreso as a broad general question to believers on this board. The reason I think it is a relevant question is because I see a lot of tendancy for many to pick and chose what they find in scripture while discounting major portions which have been considereded historically sound doctrine and theology.

For instance, I'm not sure what to do with some of it (like Leviticus); I "believe" it, but struggle with the application.
    I do understand what you are saying. I think a lot of those issues work themselves through neatly when we look at the scripture as a whole, rather than trying to apply every detail to our lives. The ot was a forshadowing of the nt, full of type/antitype parallels. Much of the scriptures also applies to Israel, not the gentile believer, although the principles used in dealing with Israels belief/unbelief illustrate our own relationship with Jesus Christ. It's also a testimony to God's sovereignty and ability to work through man's unfaithfulness (or more rightly man's faithlessness), to achieve his better purpose. Here is a saying that I believe to be quite accurate....the ot is the nt concealed, the nt is the ot revealed.

Platinum
    Thanks

who have come to a different conclusion about religion philosophy than you, are simple wrong because they don't believe what you do??
    Aren't you kind of applying the same logic?

Or are you saying that everyone is right? Because we certainly have all come to different conclusions?

So either you are applying the same logic which you are criticizing dys of and saying that you have a belief that is right and therefore his is wrong, or you are saying you don't have the answer and don't know what is right, which would not put you in a position to say that dys is wrong.

Platinum
    Thanks

Once a person believes that he has the only answer and everyone else should except or die
    I'd like to see you back up this statement with where G2rad proposed this. Maybe if you took a less dramatic viewpoint, you would see that most of the rest of the same post is also inaccurate.

Rebel Without a Clue sirgonzo420's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G2Rad
    If it is in the bible, would you believe it?
    I will.

Before I became a Christian I had faith in my own intellectual faculties above all, (I thought of myself "I am such a smart guy" :sun

The Bible turned out be much more superior construction in comparison to any book I've encountered and much higher over my capacities.

Therefore I accumulated huge respect towards it.

To the point, that now if it says so, I would trust it above my own judgement.
    That reminds me of the story of Abraham and Isaac....

When I was a little kid, I always wondered why God would tell Abraham to kill his son Isaac.... and then send an angel to intervene when Abraham tried to do as he was commanded.

God knew in advance that Abraham would do it if He asked him to, but God asked him to anyway.

Kinda like how God fucked with Job.

He knows how everything will turn out, since ultimately He designed it, yet He still plays with Man like his toy.

VERITAS LVX MEA ET VINCIT OMNIA VERITAS.
    All Rights Reserved. - No liability assumed. - No value assured. - Without recourse. - Not amenable to process. - Not to be construed as legal advice. - From without the UNITED STATES.
    Send me encrypted msg/mail with PGP! ---> http://tiny.cc/dpr6ew

Platinum
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sirgonzo420
    He still plays with Man
    So do I
    I love playing with my child
    http://gold-silver.us/forum/index.php?topic=1248.msg13086#msg13086

Electrum
    Thanks

So do I
    Not like God played with Job. If you do, CPS would take your kid from you. Society doesn't permit us to do to one another the kinds of crap Jehovah is depicted as doing to his people in the OT. Yet Jehovah is held to be righteous by the OT and people that accept it's validity. Very strange dichotomy there. The things Jehovah says are bad for his people are good for him.

Platinum
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wrs
    So do I
    Not like God played with Job. If you do, CPS would take your kid from you. Society doesn't permit us to do to one another the kinds of crap Jehovah is depicted as doing to his people in the OT. Yet Jehovah is held to be righteous by the OT and people that accept it's validity. Very strange dichotomy there. The things Jehovah says are bad for his people are good for him.
    Who is Jehovah? That's not the name as far as I know of the one true God. That is, the Father of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, the God of Jacob, the God of Abraham, etc.

dys
    Now as he walked by the sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. <br />And Jesus said unto them, Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men.<br />Mark 16-17

Rebel Without a Clue sirgonzo420's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wrs
    So do I
    Who is Jehovah? That's not the name as far as I know of the one true God. That is, the Father of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, the God of Jacob, the God of Abraham, etc.

dys
    יהוה, YHWH, YHVH, Yahweh, Yahveh, Jehovah, Jah, I AM THAT I AM, Adonai, Elohim, God - I thought it was obvious that wrs was talking about the "God of the bible".

VERITAS LVX MEA ET VINCIT OMNIA VERITAS.
    All Rights Reserved. - No liability assumed. - No value assured. - Without recourse. - Not amenable to process. - Not to be construed as legal advice. - From without the UNITED STATES.
    Send me encrypted msg/mail with PGP! ---> http://tiny.cc/dpr6ew