Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Encryption/Computer Security Thread!

Rebel Without a Clue sirgonzo420's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 665 Posts

The Encryption/Computer Security Thread!

Well, for the past few months, I've been in an "encryption/security" phase, and so I feel compelled to start this thread...

Anyone have any tips?

"Do's" and "Don't's"?

Software or encryption algorithm recommendations?

Witty comments?

Smartass remarks?

What sayeth GSUS?

**shrugging shoulders smiley we used to have**

VERITAS LVX MEA ET VINCIT OMNIA VERITAS.
    All Rights Reserved. - No liability assumed. - No value assured. - Without recourse. - Not amenable to process. - Not to be construed as legal advice. - From without the UNITED STATES.
    Send me encrypted msg/mail with PGP! ---> http://tiny.cc/dpr6ew

Thanks
    Thanked 8,813 Times in 4,307 Posts
    I use an OLD version of PGP to encrypt files and folders with a 4096-bit DH/DSS cypher.

I've also used TruCrypt to create an encrypted container to dump files and folders into it. Could also use TruCrypt to encrypt the entire hard drive if you'd like. The only draw back is if your hard drive or partition table ever takes a shit, you'll most likely never get any data back.
    "Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Some Libertarians are born, the government makes the rest."
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."

Thanks
    2 words: Open Source

Don't trust ANY crypto program that's "Proprietary" or commercial, unless they have no problem allowing you to see what's going on "under the hood" in the code.

Also, when it comes to crypto, the only TRULY unbreakable scheme is the one-time pad, and ONLY if it's implemented correctly. However, it's so cumbersome that for most practical purposes it's impractical.
    There are two kinds of people in this world:
    People who just want to be left alone, and
    People who won't leave them alone.

No coercion, no fraud. Let rationality and liberty prevail! A=A
    Love with your heart... for everything else, use your brain!

"Gold is very patient. Are you?" -mamboni
    "Government has NO business being in the 'business' business" -Gaillo

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,916 Posts
    I do know how to turn my lap top on and off........what do you think I am? stupid or something?

First post of the day...........good mornig to one and all.
    "If you don't hold it, you don't own it"... Ponce

"I'll never stop learning because I'll never stop reading"... Ponce

Thanks
    Thanked 4,383 Times in 2,414 Posts
    I've got an open question - what encryption software would be best to use in conjunction with something like drop box? The idea is you want to store your files in a secure distributed location like drop box or on someone's servers, but you also want your files to be encrypted. Having a big truecrypt container isn't feasible because if you modify one little txt file inside the container, the whole 1 GB container, or whatever size it is, must be re-uploaded in its entirety. Ideally you'd like something that automatically encrypts things on a per-file basis, encrypts file names, and isn't too cumbersome to use when doing productivity work.

Maybe per-file encryption wouldn't even be optimal, perhaps a multi-part container (sort of like a multi-part rar file) would be optimal.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgonzo420 View Post
    Well, for the past few months, I've been in an "encryption/security" phase,
    Large cache of bitcoins, eh?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vacuum View Post
    I've got an open question - what encryption software would be best to use in conjunction with something like drop box? The idea is you want to store your files in a secure distributed location like drop box or on someone's servers, but you also want your files to be encrypted. Having a big truecrypt container isn't feasible because if you modify one little txt file inside the container, the whole 1 GB container, or whatever size it is, must be re-uploaded in its entirety. Ideally you'd like something that automatically encrypts things on a per-file basis, encrypts file names, and isn't too cumbersome to use when doing productivity work.
    There is an open-source program that creates a "Container" file that, once the proper password is entered, mounts the file as a drive, allowing you to modify files inside of it. If your server allows you to access/modify files as a remote file, it will do what you want. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of it, you'll need to google a bit to find it, but it sounds like exactly what you're looking for. Sorry I can't be more specific on the name...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaillo View Post
    There is an open-source program that creates a "Container" file that, once the proper password is entered, mounts the file as a drive, allowing you to modify files inside of it. If your server allows you to access/modify files as a remote file, it will do what you want. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of it, you'll need to google a bit to find it, but it sounds like exactly what you're looking for. Sorry I can't be more specific on the name...
    It sounds like you're describing Truecrypt.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vacuum View Post
    It sounds like you're describing Truecrypt.
    That name sounds right. It's been about 5 years since I was really interested in crypto stuff... I've forgotten a lot!

Rebel Without a Clue sirgonzo420's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 665 Posts
    FreeOTFE is an open source, cross-platform (although I have not yet run it on any of my linux machines yet... I've just played with it a bit on windows) alternative to TrueCrypt, which I believe is proprietary.

VERITAS LVX MEA ET VINCIT OMNIA VERITAS.
    All Rights Reserved. - No liability assumed. - No value assured. - Without recourse. - Not amenable to process. - Not to be construed as legal advice. - From without the UNITED STATES.
    Send me encrypted msg/mail with PGP! ---> http://tiny.cc/dpr6ew