Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Encryption/Computer Security Thread!

Hybrid View

Rebel Without a Clue sirgonzo420's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 665 Posts

The Encryption/Computer Security Thread!

Well, for the past few months, I've been in an "encryption/security" phase, and so I feel compelled to start this thread...

Anyone have any tips?

"Do's" and "Don't's"?

Software or encryption algorithm recommendations?

Witty comments?

Smartass remarks?

What sayeth GSUS?

**shrugging shoulders smiley we used to have**

VERITAS LVX MEA ET VINCIT OMNIA VERITAS.
    All Rights Reserved. - No liability assumed. - No value assured. - Without recourse. - Not amenable to process. - Not to be construed as legal advice. - From without the UNITED STATES.
    Send me encrypted msg/mail with PGP! ---> http://tiny.cc/dpr6ew

Thanks
    Thanked 8,816 Times in 4,307 Posts
    I use an OLD version of PGP to encrypt files and folders with a 4096-bit DH/DSS cypher.

I've also used TruCrypt to create an encrypted container to dump files and folders into it. Could also use TruCrypt to encrypt the entire hard drive if you'd like. The only draw back is if your hard drive or partition table ever takes a shit, you'll most likely never get any data back.
    "Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Some Libertarians are born, the government makes the rest."
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I use an OLD version of PGP to encrypt files and folders with a 4096-bit DH/DSS cypher.

I've also used TruCrypt to create an encrypted container to dump files and folders into it. Could also use TruCrypt to encrypt the entire hard drive if you'd like. The only draw back is if your hard drive or partition table ever takes a shit, you'll most likely never get any data back.
    Is there a way to create a 4096-bit or higher GPG key using windows? The software I'm currently using for windows will only allow 2048 or 3072-bit max (at least with the GUI... I haven't really messed with the CLI for GPG).

All Rights Reserved. - No liability assumed. - No value assured. - Without recourse. - Not amenable to process. - Not to be construed as legal advice. - From without the UNITED STATES.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgonzo420 View Post
    Is there a way to create a 4096-bit or higher GPG key using windows? The software I'm currently using for windows will only allow 2048 or 3072-bit max (at least with the GUI... I haven't really messed with the CLI for GPG).
    Yep, PGP will allow you to create a 4096-Bit key. At least the version I am currently using. If you still have the login information I gave you I'll put it on my FTP server and you can download it. It's a little buggy installing on Windows 7, but Windows XP on down it works flawlessly.
    "Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."

Thanks
    I was thinking of posting a thread asking who wanted to trade off gpg/pgp public keys. Look at the Linux Security Cookbook for some good basic info. I only use GPG for file encryption and dm_crypt for disk encryption.
    Cogito cogito, ergo cogito sum - I think that I think, therefore I think that I am

My GPG Pub key:
    http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=steyr_m&op=index&fingerprint=on

Thanks
    Anyone who wants the PGP version I have for windows can find it here.

Sorry URL isn't working. If you have an FTP client here is the login information.

Site: digitalchaos.no-ip.info

Username: sirgonzo420

password: gold.silver

Port: 21

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Yep, PGP will allow you to create a 4096-Bit key. At least the version I am currently using. If you still have the login information I gave you I'll put it on my FTP server and you can download it. It's a little buggy installing on Windows 7, but Windows XP on down it works flawlessly.
    That would be great! GPG4Win doesn't seem to be cuttin' it for me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgonzo420 View Post
    That would be great! GPG4Win doesn't seem to be cuttin' it for me.
    I thought you were a linux user.... Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. File encryption is easy with GPG. I usually make an iso file of everything I need to encrypt and then use gpg. [gpg also uses compression] command: gpg -c filename
    Cogito cogito, ergo cogito sum - I think that I think, therefore I think that I am

My GPG Pub key:
    http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=steyr_m&op=index&fingerprint=on

Thanks
    2 words: Open Source

Don't trust ANY crypto program that's "Proprietary" or commercial, unless they have no problem allowing you to see what's going on "under the hood" in the code.

Also, when it comes to crypto, the only TRULY unbreakable scheme is the one-time pad, and ONLY if it's implemented correctly. However, it's so cumbersome that for most practical purposes it's impractical.
    There are two kinds of people in this world:
    People who just want to be left alone, and
    People who won't leave them alone.

No coercion, no fraud. Let rationality and liberty prevail! A=A
    Love with your heart... for everything else, use your brain!

"Gold is very patient. Are you?" -mamboni
    "Government has NO business being in the 'business' business" -Gaillo

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,916 Posts
    I do know how to turn my lap top on and off........what do you think I am? stupid or something?

First post of the day...........good mornig to one and all.
    "If you don't hold it, you don't own it"... Ponce

"I'll never stop learning because I'll never stop reading"... Ponce