Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The art and science of spinning beers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewTech View Post
    No offense, but maybe you weren't cut out for brewing? Throw beer away because it isn't perfect?? LOL... it's still beer! Unless there is a serious infection, you never throw a beer away.
    Well sonny I guess I've made more batches of brew than you and I know when a batch smells like rotten olives I'm not going to drink it.

It only happened one time I made two batches from the same mash tun each with a different yeast culture, because I wanted to see if there was a big difference. One batch was perfect and the other was crap, all my methods were identical except for the yeast.

It really pissed me off, because it is a lot of work down the drain and it's much easier to let someone else do all the work and go down to the store and pick up a 6 pack.

I brewed beer with a friend for about 4 to 5 years in the 80's. We made about 5 -6 batches a year. Good beer is expensive, we started out buying syrup and graduated to mashing barley malt.

Palladium
    Thanks

Re: The art and science of spinning beers

Truly great beer cannot be fully appreciated at low temperatures. I'd be interessted to know what you consider to be "beer"...
    Brewtech, I was reading through some old threads and realized I somehow missed your post here. In answer, here are some recent ones that I have enjoyed:

Val Dieu - Grand Cru
    Chimay - The Grande Reserve Blue
    Rogue - Double Chocolate Stout
    Mikkeller - Big Worse Barley Wine
    Old Rasmussen - Russian Imperial Stout
    Mc Chouffe - Belgium brown ale
    Ballast Point - IPA

My favorite beer is generally one that I have never tried before.
    "No one in this modern day and age believes in the conspiracy theory of history - except those who have taken the time to study the subject." - Gary Allen

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Katmandu For This Useful Post:

BrewTech (4th November 2012)

Thanks

try some good cabernet. no need to chill!!
    dont blame me!! im not my fault!!
    i'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    everything in moderation! including moderation!
    Veritas vos liberabit

Brew Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
    Brewtech, I was reading through some old threads and realized I somehow missed your post here. In answer, here are some recent ones that I have enjoyed:

Val Dieu - Grand Cru
    Chimay - The Grande Reserve Blue
    Rogue - Double Chocolate Stout
    Mikkeller - Big Worse Barley Wine
    Old Rasmussen - Russian Imperial Stout
    Mc Chouffe - Belgium brown ale
    Ballast Point - IPA

My favorite beer is generally one that I have never tried before.
    All excellent choices. IMO some of those would be undrinkable below 55F...
    By way of decoction, thou shalt do wort.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BrewTech For This Useful Post:

Katmandu (4th November 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,345 Posts

The best analogy to spinning beer is the wind chill factor. Once a fluid is put into motion, heat transfer rates increase (thus you can cool a beer faster).

When you put a beer in ice, you mainly cool by conduction. When you blast water onto a hot engine block (not recommended), you cool by convection. Spinning a beer is convection. Of course convection is a complex process which includes conduction, but the key is that you are moving the already cooled beer away from the glass, and replacing it with warm beer to cool it faster, plus you are moving the already warmed water away from the outside of the beer bottle, and replacing it with fresh cold water.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnQPublic For This Useful Post:

BrewTech (4th November 2012)

Palladium
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnQPublic View Post
    The best analogy to spinning beer is the wind chill factor. Once a fluid is put into motion, heat transfer rates increase (thus you can cool a beer faster).

When you put a beer in ice, you mainly cool by conduction. When you blast water onto a hot engine block (not recommended), you cool by convection. Spinning a beer is convection. Of course convection is a complex process which includes conduction, but the key is that you are moving the already cooled beer away from the glass, and replacing it with warm beer to cool it faster, plus you are moving the already warmed water away from the outside of the beer bottle, and replacing it with fresh cold water.
    Geeks rule.

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/us...0404/p0311.gif
    "No one in this modern day and age believes in the conspiracy theory of history - except those who have taken the time to study the subject." - Gary Allen

Brew Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnQPublic View Post

Excellent explanation!

My testing samples at work are chilled to 60F, as the hydrometer is calibrated to this temperature. I place the sample in a stainless steel mixing cup, then immerse it in ice water. Stirring the sample quickly will generally drop the temperature 15 degrees in about 45 seconds.
    By way of decoction, thou shalt do wort.

Thanks

Excellent explanation!

My testing samples at work are chilled to 60F, as the hydrometer is calibrated to this temperature. I place the sample in a stainless steel mixing cup, then immerse it in ice water. Stirring the sample quickly will generally drop the temperature 15 degrees in about 45 seconds.
    Dude, you are a beer scientist!
    The more you live, the less you will die. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ If you want to be somebody else, change your mind.

Great Value Chinese Military Shovel TheNocturnalEgyptian's Avatar
    Thanks

There are some beers that I actually enjoy warm. I didn't at first, but now I do. They're much creamier than way.
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness; I love only that which they defend."- J.R.R. Tolkien

Thanks
    Thanked 7,956 Times in 4,576 Posts

DON'T TAKE THE VACCINE!

THE SHIT HAS HIT THE FAN!