Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: A nickel is worth less than, well, 5 cents!

  1. #1
    Administrator JohnQPublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8,881
    Thanks
    889
    Thanked 2,235 Times in 1,330 Posts

    A nickel is worth less than, well, 5 cents!

    The nickel has just dropped in value to a bit less than 5 cents (03OCT2011).

    4.87 cents

    http://www.coinflation.com/coins/194...kel-Value.html

    A pre-1982 penny is still worth 2 cents:

    2.04 cents

    http://www.coinflation.com/coins/190...nny-Value.html

  2. #2
    Unobtanium osoab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    16,094
    Thanks
    3,763
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 2,751 Posts
    So everyone that bought at 6-7 cents are now down 20-40% in melt value terms. It can be nice to have denominated metal coins.
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

    "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

  3. #3
    Administrator JohnQPublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8,881
    Thanks
    889
    Thanked 2,235 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osoab View Post
    So everyone that bought at 6-7 cents are now down 20-40% in melt value terms. It can be nice to have denominated metal coins.
    True, but they were bought at 5 cents, and are still worth 5 cents, so no loss. If you used the nickels to buy palladium, you would be in good shape!

    I have bought a couple of bunches of nickels, and automatically sort them out, and see no long term reason to stop.

  4. #4
    Joe King
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnQPublic View Post
    True, but they were bought at 5 cents, and are still worth 5 cents, so no loss. If you used the nickels to buy palladium, you would be in good shape!

    I have bought a couple of bunches of nickels, and automatically sort them out, and see no long term reason to stop.
    What do you sort them for? Dates? I just throw all the ones I get in a big jar. Sometimes I even ask for my change back in nickels to get more. They add up fairly quick.

  5. #5
    Unobtanium
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,248
    Thanks
    1,955
    Thanked 3,790 Times in 2,128 Posts
    TPTB... "More for us... None for you..." Bwahahahaha!

  6. #6
    Administrator JohnQPublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8,881
    Thanks
    889
    Thanked 2,235 Times in 1,330 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
    What do you sort them for? Dates? I just throw all the ones I get in a big jar. Sometimes I even ask for my change back in nickels to get more. They add up fairly quick.
    I do the same. Nickels are nickels (unless you get real lucky and find a buffalo). I also try and buy Canadian .999 nickel nickels, but they are hard to get these days (I have one roll).

  7. #7
    Moderator madfranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,761
    Thanks
    7,376
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
    What do you sort them for? Dates? I just throw all the ones I get in a big jar. Sometimes I even ask for my change back in nickels to get more. They add up fairly quick.
    I always sort my nickels too, yes searching for dates. Silver war nickels are the ones from 1942-45 and have a huge mint mark on the reverse:

    Attachment 1213

    They are worth $1.73 in silver content right now.

    Then there's the 1955-D Jefferson nickel which in mint state shape is worth $75.

    Also, there's the occasional Buffalo Nickel as well, but those are hard to come by in circulation, harder than the silver nickels!
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

  8. #8
    Joe King
    Guest
    How many have you actually found? I haven't gotten a war nickel in change {that I've noticed} since I was a kid. Although I'm sure there are some still out there. Maybe I just notice the dimes quarters and halves more often due to the obvious edges.

  9. #9
    Moderator madfranks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,761
    Thanks
    7,376
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
    How many have you actually found? I haven't gotten a war nickel in change {that I've noticed} since I was a kid. Although I'm sure there are some still out there. Maybe I just notice the dimes quarters and halves more often due to the obvious edges.
    Here's my confession: I started buying boxes of nickels just to store, but the numismatist in me couldn't keep them sealed, so I opened them all and sorted them. I averaged about two silver war nickels per 3 boxes of nickels. So yes, they're hard to come by, but there are few people who know a silver silver coin when they see it, even fewer who recognize a silver nickel. Keep your eyes open and you'll find them.
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

  10. #10
    Dangerous Donald Neuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Absurdistan
    Posts
    21,091
    Thanks
    8,697
    Thanked 7,632 Times in 4,918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by madfranks View Post
    Here's my confession: I started buying boxes of nickels just to store, but the numismatist in me couldn't keep them sealed, so I opened them all and sorted them. I averaged about two silver war nickels per 3 boxes of nickels. So yes, they're hard to come by, but there are few people who know a silver silver coin when they see it, even fewer who recognize a silver nickel. Keep your eyes open and you'll find them.
    So you came out of the closet! You silver collector you!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •