Thread: UV air purifier

Gold
    Thanks

UV air purifier

Good day,

Does anyone have/use these new in-duct UV air purifiers? Do they work? What's your opinion?

Have a forced air furnace, and ever since the heater is on last 2 weeks everybody is sneezing and coughing. Maybe mold got in....

beefsteak
    I do not have one, and am interested in replies to your query, as well. However, my first thoughts were the following...we don't turn on the heat around here until 2 things have happened...
    1) we change the filters out and replace with new ones
    2) we remove all floor registers and vacuum out the crud that's fallen into them between heating seasons.

Don't feel badly about the "fall season smell" these things always put out, because it's frying the dust bunnies as my wife calls them, that have accumulated in the ducts between seasons.

Hope this helps.

beefsteak

Gold
    Thanks
    beefsteak, thanks. Filter has been replaced before heater was turned on. I can't take off the registers because most of them are built-in type.

The problem is not a smell, I really don't smell much. It feels like the whole family got an allergy, lasting over 3 weeks now. I can't stay in the house for long myself.

I am worried that leaking AC drain water during summer introduced mold in the heater, 'cause it sure feels like the worst I've seen in this house.

A friend of mine got a permanent asthma from renting a place for his business in a building that had mold problem. So it is no joke.

Gold
    Thanks
    nobody?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 714 Posts
    Why don't you disconnect the supply plenum from the furnace and take a look , we have installed electro- static air filters and they seem to work pretty well, haven't used the uv air purifiers.
    The harder I work, the Luckier I get!