Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fried Chicken?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osoab View Post
    I would add that you need to do the french fries 1st and only on the first batch of chicken. No one want's chicken tastin fries.
    Who says? Good stuff!
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts
    The standard breading procedure is flour, egg wash (egg + a little water whisked up), and then bread crumbs. If you aren't allergic to wheat, the BEST bread crumbs on the planet are panko, which are Japanese bread crumbs. This is what all fancy restaurants use.

Feel free to add dried herbs, salt, and pepper to the flour mixture.

<---Panko

I'm allergic to wheat so what I do is tapioca/rice flour, egg wash, and crushed Rice Chex Mix. It actually tastes really good.

The best way to do fried chicken is to cut large cubes of chicken breasts, doing one of the 2 above methods, and setting those on paper towels. This is called popcorn chicken. Then in a metal bowel on low heat heat up some Sriracha hot sauce with salt and pepper, and slowly whisk in whole butter to your desired consistency and you then have buffalo wing sauce. Toss your popcorn chicken in this bowel and you'll then have buffalo poppers, an extremely delicious snack. You can also make regular buffalo wings with the method, but just don't bread the wings, fry them as-is until they are crispy, and toss them in the Sriracha buffalo wing sauce.

<---Sriracha

<---Buffalo Poppers

When doing fried chicken, I believe peanut oil is best. It cooks hot without burning, and has a great flavor with fried chicken. If you cook the fried chicken too hot the exterior will get crispy, but the interior will be raw. If you cook it too low the exterior will be soggy and the interior overcooked. So this takes some skill, and don't be afraid to finish things off in the oven, though if you are finishing things in the oven, it might mean you're cooking thing too hot. I cook my fried chicken in my wok. A wok is probably the best thing to fry chicken in next to an actual fryer in my opinion. Some people will say a cast iron skillet, but I disagree for many reason I don't want to get into, though the main one is the fact that you have to use up a LOT more oil when using a cast iron skillet in comparison to a wok. I fry in my cast iron skillet only when I'm doing potato tacos, which I prob could explain if you guys wanna know how.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by osoab View Post
    You don't want big honkin breasts.
    And just what's the matter with those?? Oh, you're talking chicken!!
    "You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." --Mae West

Yes! My avatar is always a photo from my adventures.

Thanks
    We no longer fry chicken since we have discovered this recipe. You use French's fried onions (crushed into finer pieces) instead of traditional breading. Then you bake instead of deep fry. It is delicious. The chicken is incredibly moist, I think it's from the oils in the onion stuff. Tastes similar to fried chicken, but better. And it's a LOT less messy. We serve it up with fresh romaine and Caeser dressing.

http://www.frenchs.com/recipe/french...chicken-RE1309

Platinum
    Thanks
    I don't know but I'd be willing to bet those packaged fried onions are loaded with MSG at the least and likely several other things I have no interest in consuming.

Thanks

Re: Fried Chicken?

But they're sooo good
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNocturnalEgyptian View Post
    Be polite to everyone you meet, but have a plan to attack them just in case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpo
    What can religion do ...............send people mad,crazy and make people kill.

solid

Quote Originally Posted by Half Sense View Post
    We no longer fry chicken since we have discovered this recipe. You use French's fried onions (crushed into finer pieces) instead of traditional breading. Then you bake instead of deep fry. It is delicious. The chicken is incredibly moist, I think it's from the oils in the onion stuff. Tastes similar to fried chicken, but better. And it's a LOT less messy. We serve it up with fresh romaine and Caeser dressing.

http://www.frenchs.com/recipe/french...chicken-RE1309
    This recipe is absolutely delicious, I just tried it. Thanks for posting it, instant favorite!

Also, I didn't see any ingrediants in french's onions that could be msg. All basic stuff. If it does have msg, I'll know because I get a screaming headache from it.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

I love fried chicken, it's one of my favorite foods that I will consume regardless of how good or bad it is for me. Shami, that recipe you posed above sounds amazing, I must try it!
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

it's not deep fat frying - but - first i cook some bacon to get some grease + i like bacon.

then i saute the chicken quarters or thighs.

for salt i use the packets i mooched from McDonald's.

my new year's resolution every year - to not burn my food.

yesterday i burned some onions. they were on sale & i figure they're nutritious.

i imagine a job at KFC would be educational. for that kind of frying i guess half the secret is the batter, the other half is temperature & cooking time.
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

Thanks
    Thanked 7,912 Times in 4,284 Posts

I'm the infamous Fred of GIM - Jewboo kindly turned over his account to me.