Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raw Lacto-Fermented Sauerkraut

Thanks
    Thanked 1,932 Times in 1,159 Posts

Re: Raw Lacto-Fermented Sauerkraut

Quote Originally Posted by Heimdhal View Post
    We recently found a raw milk place by us. Unfortunatley they charge 15$ a gallon, so we've bought very little. It was really good though, all grass fed dairy cattle; you can taste the flavor.

Next time we get some more, I am planning on doing this recipe. I meant to a few weeks ago but some things came up and I wasnt able to get to it. Ive made kraut before, but not this way, it was the pickled-brine way. Sauerkraut is one of my favorite foods anyways, so I cant wait to get into this as well.
    I just picked up my usual 2 week supply of 4 gallons at $5 a gallon, from Mike Hartmann's dairy farm, Mike has been told he should charge more, but he thinks it would be immoral. The state of Minnesota continues to persecute this honest good man, with all manner of trumped up charges. The only complaints he has ever received come from State bureaucrats. Our politicians stand by and do nothing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigjon For This Useful Post:

k-os (13th September 2012)

Thanks

Don't eat kimchi!

Signed, everyone who has to be in the same room as you.
    I came to Gold-Silver.US for the Gold and Silver, I'm staying for the crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Book View Post
    Maybe your neighbors will massage your prostate for a few firewood logs if you ask them nicely.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

I'm looking to make some sauerkraut in the next couple days. Was not planning on using any kind of lacto-starter. The method I'm going to use is just cabbage and salt, sea salt. I've got a fair bit of himalayan salt which I will use, unless there is some reason not to.

I don't trust the dairy around here being actually whats in the product. I could use a plain yoghurt for a starter based on this thread. If I could find one.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glass View Post
    I'm looking to make some sauerkraut in the next couple days. Was not planning on using any kind of lacto-starter. The method I'm going to use is just cabbage and salt, sea salt. I've got a fair bit of himalayan salt which I will use, unless there is some reason not to.

I don't trust the dairy around here being actually whats in the product. I could use a plain yoghurt for a starter based on this thread. If I could find one.
    Ive been buying Bubbies fermented sauerkraut from the local vitamin cottage; it's ingredients are cabbage, artisan well water, and sea salt. That's it, and it's delicious.

http://www.bubbies.com/sauerkraut
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

7. The Following User Says Thank You to madfranks For This Useful Post:

Glass (30th November 2014)

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

I dont think I have every had sauerkraut. I have had a danish xmas desert made from cabbage. Was not too bad. Uses salt and water to breakdown the fibres or something. You then scoop out the cabbage, put into a big cloth and twist the water out.

Not a bit fan of pickles, unless they are onions.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.