Thread: Ripptoe's startiing strength fitness program

solid

Ripptoe's startiing strength fitness program

Today was Day 1 for me starting a different workout program. I thought I'd ask if anyone has tried this program, and also share what it is.

Long story short, I haven't been to the gym in close to a month. This last month, health-wise, was the worst in my life, multiple separate issues. Anyway, during this mostly sedentary time, it gave me lot's to think about and plan some new goals.

I decided to get back to the basics in the gym, and researched more on Rippetoe's program.

It's a very simple program. There's only 2 workouts that you alternate, you only need to go to the gym 2-3 times a week.

Workout A
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench Press
    Dips (bodyweight)

Workout B
    Squat
    Standing Press
    Pendly Row
    Chinups

That's it, all compound lifts. I did workout A today, felt weak in the beginning on the squat, did better at the deadlift, and OK at bench.

You keep a daily record of your progress, and bodyweight, as you go. And each time you try to add a few pounds to your lifts.

At the end of my first day, I feel great, better than I have in quite awhile. You get a full body workout with this program. I think I'm going to like it.

solid

Re: Ripptoe's startiing strength fitness program

You know..I'm going to record my start here, and update this thread in one month. One month, on this program, see if I like it, and if I get any results.

Day 1
    Bodyweight 185
    Squat 3x5x205
    Deadlift 3x4x245
    Bench Press 3x5x175
    Dips 2x8

solid

Re: Ripptoe's startiing strength fitness program

Here's a very good talk from Rippetoe regarding his program, he covers anatomy, the important of CNS response, he bashes gyms and their BS equipment. (gyms are a money making scam btw)

You don't need to buy his book. All the info is online to start this program, how to do these exercises.

The great thing, is you can be of any age and fitness level to start. Also, all you need is a barbell, weights, rack, and a bench.

If it sounds like I'm trying to inspire folks to join me on the "Rippetoe Challenge"...it's because I AM! Physical fitness is by far the most important prep we can all do for the coming future.