Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Visit to the Dentist Today - About Cavity Fillings

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts

My Visit to the Dentist Today - About Cavity Fillings

So I got my first cavity I've ever had in my life. The dentist found a cavity in a recent teeth cleaning procedure, and rescheduled me for a cavity filling.

So before the process I asked what was inside of the fillings. The dental assistant I was dealing with came back after a few minutes with a printout which was written by some hack dentist claiming that Bisphenol-A was totally safe, and that people who believed different were quacks. I'm not kidding. I explained to the dental assistant that Bisphenol-A was a form of estrogen and linked to the feminization epidemic throughout the country. I even told her it was banned in Canada and I think she seemed a bit shocked after I said that.

I dunno if she believed me or thought I was crazy, so I asked if there were other options besides the ceramic/BPA type filing which was their default. She said the alternative was the old school mercury fillings. I asked if there was any other forms I could do. She said no. I asked her to double check with the dentist, so she reluctantly did so. She told me there was a 3rd option, which was a gold dental amalgam. I seem satisfied with that and said I would go with that, but they obviously don't have gold on hand since they told me only one person a year requests this.

So I scheduled an appointment to get a fitting for my tooth so they can send it out to a lab and get my custom gold filling. The price tag was high, but I'd rather have that than the Bisphenol-A or the Mercury filling.

Now I'm wondering, are there other options? Is the gold filling the right choice? I heard that gold isn't perfect either, but then what do I do?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shami-Amourae For This Useful Post:

gunDriller (18th June 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,223 Times in 2,640 Posts

Re: My Visit to the Dentist Today - About Cavity Fillings

Quote Originally Posted by Shami-Amourae View Post
    So I got my first cavity I've ever had in my life. The dentist found a cavity in a recent teeth cleaning procedure, and rescheduled me for a cavity filling.

So before the process I asked what was inside of the fillings. The dental assistant I was dealing with came back after a few minutes with a printout which was written by some hack dentist claiming that Bisphenol-A was totally safe, and that people who believed different were quacks. I'm not kidding. I explained to the dental assistant that Bisphenol-A was a form of estrogen and linked to the feminization epidemic throughout the country. I even told her it was banned in Canada and I think she seemed a bit shocked after I said that.

I dunno if she believed me or thought I was crazy, so I asked if there were other options besides the ceramic/BPA type filing which was their default. She said the alternative was the old school mercury fillings. I asked if there was any other forms I could do. She said no. I asked her to double check with the dentist, so she reluctantly did so. She told me there was a 3rd option, which was a gold dental amalgam. I seem satisfied with that and said I would go with that, but they obviously don't have gold on hand since they told me only one person a year requests this.

So I scheduled an appointment to get a fitting for my tooth so they can send it out to a lab and get my custom gold filling. The price tag was high, but I'd rather have that than the Bisphenol-A or the Mercury filling.

Now I'm wondering, are there other options? Is the gold filling the right choice? I heard that gold isn't perfect either, but then what do I do?
    Does gold amalgam also contain mercury?
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. -Benjamin Franklin
    Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite. -Charles Spurgeon

Thanks

They said it didn't have mercury. I did ask that. Apparently I'm going to go in to get an impression of my tooth, and they will send that to a lab, which will custom mold the gold it to my tooth. I think this is the old school procedure from 100+ years ago.

I'm really shocked only 1 person a year gets a Gold amalgam. They joking told me that it's more popular on the East Coast (Jews?).

Thanks
    Thanked 7,956 Times in 4,576 Posts

I'd like to see information stating gold is less then perfect for dental work.
    I have 4 gold crowns and swear by it.
    DON'T TAKE THE VACCINE!

THE SHIT HAS HIT THE FAN!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,724 Times in 1,852 Posts

Dollars will get you donuts that beneath each of those gold crowns the dentist placed a silver amalgam (aka mercury time bomb).
    Make me one with everything.
    -- Zen Master to the hot dog vendor

Thanks

Well I honestly think it's kind of cool getting gold. I'm just worried it might be toxic in some way. I did read that if you have gold and mercury filings there's an electric reaction or something that makes the mercury leak even more than normal.

I do heavy metal detox here and there anyways, I just want to know if it's safe/smart.

Thanks for your input EE_.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by palani View Post
    Dollars will get you donuts that beneath each of those gold crowns the dentist placed a silver amalgam (aka mercury time bomb).
    So the gold fillings still have mercury? Now I'm confused. Maybe I should try to talk to the dentist himself about it, since I only talked to the aides.

Thanks

Found this:
    http://americasholisticdentist.com/1...lver-fillings/

He says gold isn't safe either. I'm going to have to do some deep research into this to find a solution. Since of all the electrical signals moving through your body is supposedly messes up your brain he says.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,636 Times in 3,208 Posts

Super glue and duct tape.
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

Thanks

sounds like an inlay to me. gold is maleable. so it will be easier with chewing. it will wear with the opposing tooth. but it's also very conducive to temp. it might end up being pretty sensitive to extreme temps. watch out, though, they absolutely do mix it with other metals.

the dentist i used to work for did about 10 - 15 of these a year. very easy. almost like a partial crown. same procedure. they'll clean out the decay. take an impression (hardest part for most patients). then most likely put a temporary filling in there. you'll come back 7-10 days for placement of the final filling.

edit: found this "It is not completely pure but a mixture of gold, silver, platinum, copper, palladium, and zinc."