Thread: Toothpaste with Calcium Phosphate - Over the Counter or Home-Made from Bone Meal ?

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

Question Toothpaste with Calcium Phosphate - Over the Counter or Home-Made from Bone Meal ?

I was just at a dental hygienist & got my teeth cleaned & scrape & inspected.

She recommended a toothpaste with extra fluoride and calcium phosphate. $14 for a small tube.

I believe that it offers some health benefits - and some profit benefits for the dental office. I started wondering how to get the health benefits without incurring the extra cost.

So I was thinking - besides going to the drug store and reading all the toothpaste tubes to see which ones have Calcium Phosphate - perhaps I have a source of Calcium Phosphate already. AKA Bone Meal. Made of ground-up bones. Full of Calcium, and used by gardeners because it has lots of Phosphorus. I thought, "I bet there's some Calcium Phosphate in my Bone Meal."

Then I look it up on The Internet.

Turns out, bones & teeth are made up of Calcium Phosphate, typically in a form called "hydroxyapatite".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_meal

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-6356...itamin+D3+Oral

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedic...cium+phosphate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_phosphate

So I am planning to screen my bone meal to take out the splinters, and to mix it with my El Cheapo Colgate toothpaste, to get the benefits of the expensive $14 toothpaste.

Good Idea ? Bad Idea ?

I just wanted to get the reaction of G-S.us'ers, including members with medical & dental backgrounds.

When I looked at the $14 toothpaste, it had about 15 ingredients, and Calcium Phosphate was the last one. In other words, it only has a little bit. If I take a regular 6.4 ounce toothpaste tube and mix in 15 to 30 grams of bone meal, it will have WAY more Calcium Phosphate than the Official $14 Toothpaste.

Is there a problem with that ?
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Re: Toothpaste with Calcium Phosphate - Over the Counter or Home-Made from Bone Meal

I'd look for a product that contains the calcium without the flouride. I don't think the flouride provides any dental benefit and probably is detrimental to tooth health. You can get calcium based tooth paste. I find the cost is about double the price of flouride toothpaste (australia)

SO that probably means you guys can get it for close to the same price as the flouride paste.

I did a quick google to see if I could find the brand I am using but found this instead. Home recipe for Calcium toothpaste. DYODD

http://wellnessmama.com/2500/homemad...hpaste-recipe/

Edit: The one I am using is called HerbalFresh. I think it's a kiwi product maybe. And yes Shami-Amourae it contains Glyceril's and such.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Glass For This Useful Post:

gunDriller (19th June 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts

Re: Toothpaste with Calcium Phosphate - Over the Counter or Home-Made from Bone Meal

I use Uncle Harry's tooth powder.

You want to avoid fluoride for all the reasons you guys know, but you ALSO want to avoid vegetable glycerin. Vegetable glycerin is in most toothpastes, including most of the fluoride-free toothpastes. Vegetable glycerin is used to coat the tooth with the toothpaste in order to clean it, but it causes a new problem in that it blocks tooth remineralization from happening (which naturally always is happening to repair your teeth,) so toothpaste with vegetable glycerin doesn't really benefit your teeth that much. The best way to avoid fluoride and vegetable glycerin is simply to start using tooth powder instead.

The tooth powder I use is basically made of chalk and essential oils. The mouthwash I use is made of a mixture of colloidal silver and essential oils. It's NOT alcohol based. When I use to wake up in the morning I'd always have major bad breath problems, but since I've been using tooth powder and essential oil/silver mouthwashes I've had no bad breath issues: My mouth feels as clean when I wake up as when I went to bed.

Ingredients of Uncle Harry's tooth powder:
    Calcium carbonate (natural chalk), mustard seed powder, sea salt, peppermint, eucalyptus, clove, wintergreen, and oregano essential oils.

Ingredients of Uncle Harry's mouth wash:
    Purified, deionized, microfiltered water and ten parts per million of silver mineral (99.000% pure), sea salt, magnetic earth, purified ocean water, active ionic minerals, peppermint, eucalyptus, clove, wintergreen, and oregano essential oils.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shami-Amourae For This Useful Post:

Glass (19th June 2012),gunDriller (19th June 2012)