Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Preppers: do you have enough ascorbic acid/lemon juice stashed?

beefsteak

Re: Preppers: do you have enough ascorbic acid/lemon juice stashed?

Then may I politely suggest you take your sauerkraut suggestion to another thread instead of hijacking this one? This is about ascorbic acid and rescuing stale bread flour in a SHTF / prepper dumpy dense loaves of homemade bread thread.

beefsteak

beefsteak

Osoab,
    now I will weigh 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice to determine--in fluid oz basis--the result, and report back.

Thank you for that factual, on topic response. I found it truly helpful. Would you perhaps have the link for that info?

beefsteak

Thanks
    Thanked 4,647 Times in 3,216 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by osoab View Post
    beefsteak. Will this help?

http://www.spartafit.com/food%20sear...n+juice%2C+raw

1fl oz of Lemon Juice = 14.03mg of ascorbic acid.
    Quote Originally Posted by beefsteak View Post
    Osoab,
    now I will weigh 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice to determine--in fluid oz basis--the result, and report back.

Thank you for that factual, on topic response. I found it truly helpful. Would you perhaps have the link for that info?

beefsteak

it's right there.

Here's the tablespoons per fluid ounce info.
    1 fluid ounce = 2 tablespoons

1 tablespoon = 0.5 fluid ounce

NOTE: that is for FLUID ounces, not dry ounces. Dry ounces are a measure of weight, but fluid ounces is a measure of volume. Converting between weight and volume depends on the density of the substance. Look at the question linked to the left "How many grams are in a tablespoon?" if you want to know how many dry ounces are in one tablespoon of various foods.
    “Democracy is also a form of worship. It is the worship of Jackals by Jackasses. It is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.”
    H.L. Mencken

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H. L. Mencken

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by beefsteak View Post
    Then may I politely suggest you take your sauerkraut suggestion to another thread instead of hijacking this one? This is about ascorbic acid and rescuing stale bread flour in a SHTF / prepper dumpy dense loaves of homemade bread thread.

beefsteak
    I apologize. I'll be more conscious to not try to change the subject too much in the future.

beefsteak

Shami,
    you're such a good egg, it pained me to type that request. Thanks, bud!

beefsteak

6. The Following User Says Thank You to beefsteak For This Useful Post:

Shami-Amourae (3rd July 2012)

beefsteak

Yours truly has weighed 1 teaspoon LEMON JUICE. It weighs 5.7g wt/vol.

There are 3 teaspoons in 1 Tablespoon, and 2 Tablespoons to 1 Fluid oz.

Therefore, the following conclusions appear to me and Helen based upon your researched dataset showing

1 ) The fact that the ascorbic acid (AA) instruction is in a liquid a.k.a., dissolved form means liquid is the preferred AA delivery form when making bread. Yes, dissolved lemon juice is slightly heavier than the 1 fluid oz WATER standard assumed in all datasets due to solids inherent in lemon juice.

2 ) 1 Fluid oz contains 14.03 mg AA acc'd to Osoab's research (or 0.001403g -- a dry wt, not fluid vol)

3 ) 1 teaspoon (Vol.) lemon juice which weighs 5.7g wt/vol contains (14.03mg/6 teaspoons in 2 tablespoons acc'd to Osoab's dataset) = 2.338mg (also written 0.002338g) of AA in the breadmaker machine's 17pg .pdf recommendation for
    optimal yeast activation supplementation.

4 ) 1000 mg of Rose hips Vit C (1 tablet) will produce enough AA at the recommended levels' addition to prepper stale bread flour to "doctor" 427,716 loaves of bread by the addition of 0.002338g AA per loaf. [1g = 1000mg/0.002338g from Bullet Pt 3) ]

5 ) 1 C water weighs a generally accepted 250ml.

6 ) 427,716 loaves of now leavened bread created at rate of 1 loaf per day would provide for slightly less than 1,170 years--yes adjusted for 292 leap years from dissolving that single tablet of 1000mg Rose hips Vit C.

If one were to consider "once and done" dissolving and storing 1 Rose hips Vit C 1000mg tablet dissolved in recommend portion within 5.697g water (5.7g minus .002338mg AA required to activated the yeastie beasties [<---Helen's name for Fleischman pkgd contents] )
    (TIMES) 427,716 loaves of bread, the following facts emerge in trying to calculate
    the total amount of water required to properly "encourage optimum yeast activity" using stale/stashed prepper bread flour:

5.697g wt 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice x 427,716 loaves extrapolates to:
    = 2,436,698g H2O
    = 9,747.79 cups of H2O,
    = 609gal H2O into which dissolve then store one entire 1000mg Vit C Rose hips AA caplet.

Helen has no storage for 609gal of H2O containing properly dissolved 1000mg Vit C tablet sourced AA for her stale/stashed/prepper bread flour.......

So, after briefly contemplating hari kari and/or trichotillomania, or just stashing (x) 32oz (946ml) lemon juice each lasting approx 4 month (32oz x 6 teaspoons per fluid oz) multiplied times a reasonable maximum life expectancy (40? years) or 120 lemon juice bottles (generic or branded.)

Short of whittling away, ad nauseum a single 1000mg Vit C Rose hips tablet and meticulously weighing same for the rest of her adult life, Helen is seeking comments?

Please keep it clean for my dear saint of a wife, k?

beefsteak & Helen wishing all a happy Independence Day 2012 celebration with self and loved ones.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to beefsteak For This Useful Post:

drafter (4th July 2012)

Old Herb Lady

This is what I keep on hand for lemon juice for SHTF:

http://www.truelemon.com/true-lemon.html

Also, beefsteak---shami's point was valid---the topic of the thread is "Preppers: do you have enough ascorbic acid/lemon juice stashed?"
    The bread question in your OP is what you want a response to, however, if someone is looking up/searching ascorbic acid/lemon juice etc....
    his input is very valuable in response to the thread title and I didn't see it as a derail AT ALL .

just sayin !

Best regards & Happy 4th to you & Helen !

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Herb Lady For This Useful Post:

carpathian (14th July 2012),Tumbleweed (18th July 2012)

Thanks

Most Citric Acid is made from GMO corn. Fruit Fresh is a good example. You can use apple cider vinegar in your bread recipes instead. Measure equal amounts of ACV and Yeast ( if the recipe calls for a table spoon of yeast, use a table spoon of ACV.) When canning or dehydrating and you need to soak your fruit, lemon juice works well.
    this is the lemon juice I usually use. Attachment 3186
    To control the opposition, one must start the opposition. Joseph Stalin
    My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me."
    My people have perished for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I reject you from being priest for Me. Since you have forgotten the Torah of your Elohim, I also forget your children.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ImaCannin For This Useful Post:

carpathian (14th July 2012),gunDriller (14th July 2012),Tumbleweed (18th July 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,395 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ImaCannin View Post
    Most Citric Acid is made from GMO corn. Fruit Fresh is a good example. You can use apple cider vinegar in your bread recipes instead.
    i find apple cider vinegar is also useful for marinating meat that has a gamey flavor.

i use ACV, Red Wine Vinegar, & Vegetable Oil - and also some liquid smoke.

it sounds like ACV is good for more than just marinating meat though.
    Retired Director Morris Waxler says the FDA did not do their job for 15 years - and is not now.

HelpStopLASIK.com

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gunDriller For This Useful Post:

steel_ag (14th July 2012)