Thread: Bitcoin Miner...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,454 Times in 4,275 Posts

Bitcoin Miner...

Files Infected:
    c:\WINDOWS\installer\{fad51caf-9493-430f-8c7e-4dc93bf0fadb}\U\00000008.@ (PUP.BitCoinMiner) -> Not selected for removal.

No clue how this got on my machine.
    Jackie did it and you know it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 4,537 Posts

Re: Bitcoin Miner...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,415 Posts

People are using bots to mine for bitcoins?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vacuum View Post
    I can believe it, when it comes to stealing things of value, nothing is imposable that people will not try.
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

Gold
    Thanks

Be sure to check the CPU usage under 'performance' to check for abnormalities; it might give some hints about what's doing any mining.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vacuum View Post
    My guess is they are hijacking people's computers to mine with extra computing power.

I have mined Bitcoin, and all I can tell you is you only want to do it with a dedicated computer (one you're NOT using) since it's a resource hog and will turn your hardware into puddy.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,034 Times in 4,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shami-Amourae View Post
    My guess is they are hijacking people's computers to mine with extra computing power.

I have mined Bitcoin, and all I can tell you is you only want to do it with a dedicated computer (one you're NOT using) since it's a resource hog and will turn your hardware into puddy.
    How much energy do you burn running a dedicated computer to mine bitcoins versus the actual value of the bitcoins themselves?
    "Liberty is so creative, and the government is so stupid, that I’m very optimistic about the future"
    - Lew Rockwell

Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,415 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madfranks View Post
    How much energy do you burn running a dedicated computer to mine bitcoins versus the actual value of the bitcoins themselves?
    I think it depends on the hardware you use and the cost of electricity in your area. For some people it generates more than it uses, for other people it doesn't.

Another thing to consider is, if you live in a cold climate, the waste heat from the computers can heat your home.

Brew Guru
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,538 Posts

Mining? Is that the same as stealing?
    By way of decoction, thou shalt do wort.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madfranks View Post
    I can't tell you since I haven't done it personally (SERIOUS mining.) I know some people who do it, do it in apartments they rent where they don't have to pay electricity, and then eventually get kicked out (hehe, it's fucked up.)

I recommend you search on YouTube for "Bitcoin Mining Rigs". You will see some professional rigs and crude rigs literally using things like cardboard and duct tape. You get a lot of people who scoff at it all, but it IS profitable for some people who know what they are doing. Most of these people are professional programmers and know what they're doing. I'm a programmer, but a horrible one, so that's not my league.

Someone of interest would be DavinciJ15 who has a separate channel for Bitcoins and Bitcoin mining. I refer to him since he's the first major YouTuber in the Silver community to come out and support Bitcoin, but then got trolled to the ground and had a panic attack because he couldn't take all the hate.

This is DavinciJ15 showing us his rig and ....yeah it's crude, but he's making profits so that's all that matters.
    (Start at 1:28)

This is a little more professionally done:

These videos are mainly from the ATI 5000 series. Most people are using ATI 7000 series now.