Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Gentleman's Guide To Forum Spies (spooks, feds, etc.)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,380 Times in 2,414 Posts

Re: The Gentleman's Guide To Forum Spies (spooks, feds, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by TheNocturnalEgyptian View Post
    Ad ignorantiam
    The argument from ignorance basically states that a specific belief is true because we don’t know that it isn’t true. Defenders of extrasensory perception, for example, will often overemphasize how much we do not know about the human brain. It is therefore possible, they argue, that the brain may be capable of transmitting signals at a distance.

UFO proponents are probably the most frequent violators of this fallacy. Almost all UFO eyewitness evidence is ultimately an argument from ignorance – lights or objects sighted in the sky are unknown, and therefore they are alien spacecraft.

Intelligent design is almost entirely based upon this fallacy. The core argument for intelligent design is that there are biological structures that have not been fully explained by evolution, therefore a powerful intelligent designer must have created them.

In order to make a positive claim, however, positive evidence for the specific claim must be presented. The absence of another explanation only means that we do not know – it doesn’t mean we get to make up a specific explanation.
    I always wondered how "skeptics" choose what they accept and what they are skeptical of. Notice they tend to direct their skepticism towards the same cluster of things. It seems that this fallacy applies to any claim.

Pyrrho – ancient Greece
    The main principle of Pyrrho's thought is expressed by the word acatalepsia, which connotes the ability to withhold assent from doctrines regarding the truth of things in their own nature; against every statement its contradiction may be advanced with equal justification. Secondly, it is necessary in view of this fact to preserve an attitude of intellectual suspense, or, as Timon expressed it, no assertion can be known to be better than another. Thirdly, Pyrrho applied these results to life in general, concluding that, since nothing can be known, the only proper attitude is ataraxia, "freedom from worry". ("By suspending judgment, by confining oneself to phenomena or objects as they appear, and by asserting nothing definite as to how they really are, one can escape the perplexities of life and attain an imperturbable peace of mind.")
    The proper course of the sage, said Pyrrho, is to ask himself three questions. Firstly we must ask what things are and how they are constituted. Secondly, we ask how we are related to these things. Thirdly, we ask what ought to be our attitude towards them. Pyrrho's answer was that things are indistinguishable, unmeasurable, undecidable, and no more this than that, or both this and that and neither this nor that. He concluded that human senses neither transmit truths nor lie.[2] Humanity cannot know the inner substance of things, only how things appear.
    The impossibility of knowledge, even in regard to our own ignorance or doubt, should induce the wise person to withdraw into themselves, avoiding the stress and emotion which belong to the contest of vain imaginings. This theory of the impossibility of knowledge is the first and the most thorough exposition of noncognitivism in the history of thought.[citation needed] Its ethical implications may be compared with the ideal tranquility of the Stoics and the Epicureans.
    If you tried to doubt everything you would not get as far as doubting anything. The game of doubting itself presupposes certainty.
    Ludwig Wittgenstein #115 from On Certainty
    Maybe this is why the occult and secret societies exist (the original ones, not the satanic ones which want to control everything). They must hide from the "skeptics" throughout society, who don't recognize their own ignorance. The ones who do recognize their own ignorance go underground and explore areas which would draw wrath from the 'skeptic' society which surrounds them.

Oh well...interesting stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,310 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vacuum View Post
    I always wondered how "skeptics" choose what they accept and what they are skeptical of. Notice they tend to direct their skepticism towards the same cluster of things. It seems that this fallacy applies to any claim.
    It was amusing to see the skeptic poison the well concerning "conspiracy theorists" after he explained about poisoning the well.

Check out the forum on that site....no discussions about Israel.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hoarder For This Useful Post:

Blink (8th September 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 921 Posts

May i add, usurp power from the free speech mods to a less tolerant view....slowly...step by step...till the others are on the BAN-wagon.
    We older members saw this clearly with skykikes usurpation of khan and the others.....we would be wise to be vigilant.
    The worlds pre- eminent free speech PM forum FELL FROM WITHIN.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JDRock For This Useful Post:

D sciple (14th September 2012),MAGNES (10th October 2012),Santa (14th September 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,833 Times in 999 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vacuum View Post
    I always wondered how "skeptics" choose what they accept and what they are skeptical of. Notice they tend to direct their skepticism towards the same cluster of things. It seems that this fallacy applies to any claim. Maybe this is why the occult and secret societies exist (the original ones, not the satanic ones which want to control everything). They must hide from the "skeptics" throughout society, who don't recognize their own ignorance. The ones who do recognize their own ignorance go underground and explore areas which would draw wrath from the 'skeptic' society which surrounds them. Oh well...interesting stuff.
    Ha! Good eye, vacuum.... "UFO proponents are probably the most frequent violators of this fallacy. Almost all UFO eyewitness evidence is ultimately an argument from ignorance – lights or objects sighted in the sky are unknown, and therefore they are alien spacecraft." Th example above is actually the argument from ignorance. LOL... UFO means Unidentified Flying Object, not Alien Spacecraft. So a UFO proponent would clearly be stating, "look, up in the sky, that looks like a UFO. Wow! I just saw a fucking UFO. That's freaking awesome." The dumbass who wrote the sentence would then say, "You're so stupid. There's no such thing as a UFO." LOL
    "Trust those who seek the truth, but doubt those who say they found it."

Thanks

Does anyone know if I post about a public forum here a search result will come up in Google Alerts? I'm dealing with a forum that's recently become overrun with shills and trollls, and one of them admitted this is the way they find a discussion. Then they go and derail threads. I wanted to ask for help in dealing with it, but not if it's going to direct them here.
    Doom is always 6 or 8 months away.
    ~EE_

Thanks
    Thanked 4,380 Times in 2,414 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lapis View Post
    Does anyone know if I post about a public forum here a search result will come up in Google Alerts? I'm dealing with a forum that's recently become overrun with shills and trollls, and one of them admitted this is the way they find a discussion. Then they go and derail threads. I wanted to ask for help in dealing with it, but not if it's going to direct them here.
    - If you post in the lounge or board communications, I don't believe google has access to those areas
    - If you use a tinyurl or some other shortened url service, and don't properly type the name of the forum, it shouldn't trigger a keyword. Unless someone replies with the full name of the forum or non-shortened link.

Thanks

Thanks. I'll start a thread in the lounge then.