Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 12 shot dead at 'Dark Knight Rises' screening in Aurora, Colorado

Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 4,306 Posts

12 shot dead at 'Dark Knight Rises' screening in Aurora, Colorado

Updated at 8:15 a.m. ET: Twelve people were killed and at least 50 others wounded early Friday when a gunman opened fire at a midnight screening of the summer blockbuster "The Dark Knight Rises" near Denver, authorities and witnesses said.

Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates told reporters that 10 people died at the scene and four others died after being taken to local hospitals. However, a police officer later told MSNBC TV that the death toll had been revised to 12. A three-month-old and a six-year-old girl were among those treated, according to reports.

Police said the gunman had appeared at the front of the theater during the movie and released a canister which let out a hissing sound, which is believed to be tear gas. Witnesses told reporters that gunfire erupted during a shootout scene in the film.

It was mass chaos," witness Jennifer Seeger told TODAY. "He was five feet away from me."

The gunman shot the ceiling and then "he threw in the gas can, and then I knew it was real," Seeger added.

"Everyone's going for the door and then everyone starts saying, 'no, he's going to shoot people going for the door, and he did," she recalled. "They're trying to escape, and he shot those people as well."

A suspect was apprehended in the shopping center's parking lot, Oates said. He was named as 24-year-old James Holmes, two federal officials from different agencies told NBC News.

The incident occurred in the Century 16 Movie Theaters at the Aurora Town Center, police told NBC News. Aurora is a suburb less than 10 miles east of downtown Denver.

NBC station KUSA-Denver cited a witness as seeing a black-clad 6-foot-tall man wearing a riot helmet, goggles and bullet-proof vest.

However, many people attended the film dressed in Batman-related costumes.

Watch live video from KUSA

Witnesses said the gunman entered the theater through an emergency exit door.

The suspect was found in possession of a gas mask, Oates said. Ammunition was found in the suspect's car, police said.

Three firearms
    Citing officials, NBC News' Pete Williams reported that the shooter had three weapons -- an assault-type rifle and two handguns. Holmes' car has Tennessee plates but authorities believe he was living locally.

Oates said there was no evidence of additional suspects.

Holmes's apartment building in north Aurora was evacuated after he made a statement to police about possible explosives at his home, Oates said.

An FBI official told NBC News that the agency was working with local authorities on the investigation, but that there was no early indication of a link to terrorism. Holmes was not on any federal law-enforcement watch lists, Williams reported.

President Barack Obama had been notified by counterterrorism chief John Brennan and was aware of the incident, KUSA said.

In a statement, Obama said: "We are committed to bringing whoever was responsible to justice, ensuring the safety of our people, and caring for those who have been wounded. As we do when confronted by moments of darkness and challenge, we must now come together as one American family."

'Get us some damn gas masks'
    Police raiding the theater in the hunt for the suspect had to ask for gas masks.

"Get us some damn gas masks for theater 9, we can't get in it," one officer radioed back to emergency dispatch during the operation, according to an excerpt aired on KUSA.

Brenda Stuart, of 850 KOA radio, told Sky News that bullets had passed from one theater into an adjoining one.

50-60 gunshots'
    One young man told KUSA that he was in front of the theater with friends when the shooting broke out.

"Next thing you know you hear 'boom' like tear gas, a bomb. ... Then you hear gunshots go off, like a fully automatic weapon. [There were] like 50-60 gunshots," he told KUSA.

"I was just worried about getting out of there," he told KUSA.

More on this story from breakingnews.com

The man, who did not give his name, said he heard gunfire continue for at least 20 minutes.

"People were coming out of there screaming, some of the people were coming out of there bleeding. ... People were coming out with their shirts covered in blood," he said.

As he left the theater, eyewitness Hayden Miller told KUSA said people ran up to him and said "there was a gunman setting off bombs and shooting people. ... He wasn't giving anyone a chance to get out ... It's insane that this can happen in a movie theater where people had gone to have fun."

nother eyewitness, Alex Milano, told KUSA that he "saw at least four, maybe five people limping, slightly wounded. ... I saw one girl covered in blood.

"I don't know whose little girl that was, but my heart goes out to them. ... A cop came walking through the front door ... holding a little girl in his arms and she wasn't moving, she wasn't moving," the young man, whose voiced cracked as he spoke, told KUSA.

Milano, who was in theater 8, told KUSA he spoke to a young woman who had been in theater 9 with the shooter.

The woman and her boyfriend crawled and then ran for an exit. “When she turned around, all she saw was the guy slowly making his way up the stairs, just firing. ... Just picking random people,” the witness told KUSA.

'I thought it was pretty much the end of the world'
    Salina Jordan, 19, told the Denver Post she saw one girl struck in the cheek and others in the stomach, including a girl who looked to be around 9 years old.

Jordan told the newspaper she saw police carrying bodies out of the theater as well as officers opening fire.

Roland Jones, 28, said he first thought the smoke and sounds of gunshots were all part of the film's special effects.

"I thought it was pretty much the end of the world," Roberts told the Denver Post.

Tammi Stevens, who son was inside the cinema when the shooting started, told the Post he saw a man walk into the theater wearing body armor.

"You let your kids go to a late night movie ... you never think something like this would happen," Stevens told the newspaper.

Cathy Canzanora, a 911 dispatcher, told NBC News that emergency dispatchers were deluged with calls from "everybody who had cellphones in the theater" at 12:39 a.m. Friday local time (2:39 a.m. ET).

Police cars transport the wounded
    The injured were being transported to several local hospitals, police told NBC.

KOA's Stuart said that police officers were taking victims to hospitals in their cars and not waiting for ambulances.

Natalie Goldstein, of Children's Hospital Colorado, said the facility was treating six patients from the shooting, ranging in age from 6 to 31.

PhotoBlog: More images from the scene of the shooting in Aurora

Justin Bentzinger, a house supervisor at the Swedish Medical Center, told NBC News they were treating three patients. Two were in critical condition, the third was in fair condition.

Kalena Wilkinson, a public information officer for Denver Health, said six patients were taken to that hospital, with one in critical condition and the other five in "fair" conditions.

Tracy Weise, of the public relations department at Aurora Medical Center, told NBC News they were treating 12 patients with a range of injuries from minor to critical.

Further local coverage from KUSA

Jacque Montgomery, a spokesperson for University of Colorado Hospital, told NBC News that they were treating 20 patients from the shooting.

At least three people had been treated for chemical exposure, KUSA reported.

Hundreds of witnesses who have not been injured have been taken to Gateway High School for a debriefing, local media reported.

It was the worst mass shooting in Colorado since the Columbine High School massacre on April 20, 1999. Students Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, opened fire at the school in the Denver suburb of Littleton, about 15 miles west of Aurora, killing 12 classmates and a teacher and wounding 26 others before killing themselves in the school's library.

"The Dark Knight Rises," starring Christian Bale and Anne Hathaway, is the latest in the popular Batman action movie franchise. Friday was its international premiere.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...-colorado?lite
    "Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Some Libertarians are born, the government makes the rest."
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

Son-of-Liberty (20th July 2012)

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Re: 12 shot dead at 'Dark Knight Rises' screening in Aurora, Colorado

was just reading this. You have more info than the report I saw although mine says 14. 1 guy? Denver too.

An assault rifle? So we know he is LEO then.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Glass For This Useful Post:

JDRock (20th July 2012)

Rebel Without a Clue sirgonzo420's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 665 Posts

everybody has a cellphone at their fucking side constantly, but rarely a pistol

VERITAS LVX MEA ET VINCIT OMNIA VERITAS.
    All Rights Reserved. - No liability assumed. - No value assured. - Without recourse. - Not amenable to process. - Not to be construed as legal advice. - From without the UNITED STATES.
    Send me encrypted msg/mail with PGP! ---> http://tiny.cc/dpr6ew

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sirgonzo420 For This Useful Post:

AndreaGail (20th July 2012),Awoke (24th July 2012),Blink (20th July 2012),Hatha Sunahara (20th July 2012),madfranks (20th July 2012),mick silver (21st July 2012),Osiris (20th July 2012),Son-of-Liberty (20th July 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 4,306 Posts

Saw it on the morning news this morning as the wife watches as she gets ready for work. I came here and noticed it hadn't been posted yet.

These types of mass killings are becoming common place. I know people love to blame the individual and by all means he's definitely at fault. But can it also be a reflection of an oppressive and tyrannical system of control?
    "Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788
    "The greatest threat to the state is when the people figure out they can exist without them." - Twisted Titan
    "Some Libertarians are born, the government makes the rest."
    "Voting is nothing more than a slaves suggestion box, voting on a new master every few years does not make you free."

Unobtanium
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sirgonzo420 View Post
    everybody has a cellphone at their fucking side constantly, but rarely a pistol
    I was thinking.....heard shooting for 20 minutes and no one had a gun to return fire? Maybe some did and aren't with us anymore.
    Great minds discuss Ideas, Average minds discuss Events, Small minds discuss People. E.R.

Anytime I'm in doubt I go outside and give it a little shake.
    Liberty Tree.

Great Value Carrots StreetsOfGold's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow a Shock (sarcasm) Here we have a blatantly SATANIC movie about an UNCLEAN BIRD (Bat) man couched in DARKNESS and violence and most assuredly PRAYED over by satanists (and illumanatti) to have this happen and guys like Drudge portray this as "shocking". Maybe the MSM needes to CATCH UP with the Bible, they are so behind the times.

Matthew 24:37 But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Genesis 6:11 The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to StreetsOfGold For This Useful Post:

Awoke (24th July 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,611 Posts

No mater what kind of outcry's/political/religious views or rage that this horrible act will produce. I feel sorry and horrified for the victims and family's. Kid's and family's going to see a movie/show and having something like this happen totally sucks.

Words can not describe how I feel for the victims and the family's that went to see the movie expecting to be entertained and having their joy turn into a nightmare.

My prayers go to the innocent ones involved.
    "My reading no matter how transient is a dagger in the heart of ignorance."

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dogman For This Useful Post:

Hatha Sunahara (20th July 2012),Jersey Thursday (20th July 2012),singular_me (20th July 2012)

Thanks

I always go off the deep end and think MKULTRA type stuff here . . . with the cherry on top for TPTB being more gun laws.

It also made me think about that Worldwide Caution thread about how TPTB want us to fear everything.

Those poor people, particularly the children, will be traumatized for life because of this tragedy. My heart goes out to them. Like others had said, it's too bad they weren't armed and able to defend themselves.
    The more you live, the less you will die. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ If you want to be somebody else, change your mind.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to k-os For This Useful Post:

Awoke (24th July 2012),cortez (20th July 2012),Mouse (20th July 2012),sunshine05 (20th July 2012)

Great Value Carrots StreetsOfGold's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
    No mater what kind of outcry's/political/religious views or rage that this horrible act will produce. I feel sorry and horrified for the victims and family's. Kid's and family's going to see a movie/show and having something like this happen totally sucks.

Words can not describe how I feel for the victims and the family's that went to see the movie expecting to be entertained and having their joy turn into a nightmare.

My prayers go to the innocent ones involved.
    Yes it is a shame that those in attendance were most likely NOT members in a Good Bible believing church where any pastor worth his salt would be preaching against going to (or watching) movies, ESPECIALLY obvious SATANIC ones @ midnight in public places. What a thing.

You reap what you sow

Thanks

the media is going to have a field day with this one, apparently the alleged shooter was heavy into the tea party movement
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months

Silver will have its day...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AndreaGail For This Useful Post:

mick silver (21st July 2012)