Thanked 6,607 Times in 4,200 Posts

Re: Benefits of Turmeric

posted this awhile back in
    Thread: Dandelion pickin' time !

4 Natural Liver Cleansing Foods

Anthony Gucciardi
    NaturalSociety
    May 29, 2012

Liver health is directly tied to your overall health, and poor liver health could very well be the root cause of many diseases that currently affect millions of people worldwide. Often assaulted with toxic substances like high-fructose corn syrup, which can ‘overburden’ the liver and subsequently lead to complications, it is very likely that your liver has experienced at least some degree of damage due to dietary and environmental factors. In fact, the only way to avoid the buildup of toxins in the liver would be to eat a nearly perfect diet free of additives, fillers, modified ingredients, or chemicals — virtually the opposite of the average American diet, which critically lacks any liver cleansing foods.

Thankfully, it is very possible to repair your liver naturally and help release excessive toxin buildup through the power of healing foods. Here are 5 natural liver cleansing foods:

1. Cleanse Your Liver with Avocados

Avocados have been shown to naturally protect and repair your liver. Containing a high amount of glutathione-producing compounds, avocados can actually help boost the ability of the liver to cleanse itself. Astonishing research has even shown that consuming one or two avocados per week for as little as 30 days can make a serious difference in the state of your liver health. The best part? Avocados can be enjoyed with virtually any meal, and are available throughout the world. Try adding in some fresh, organic avocados with your next meal to reap the benefits of liver cleansing foods like this one.

2. Garlic

The superfood garlic, which is known for its ability to fight against cancer and infections naturally, is also among the many great liver cleansing foods as it is very useful in repairing a compromised liver. While the benefits of garlic for liver health and beyond are many, one reason for its superior effects have to do with the fact that garlic contains numerous sulfur-containing compounds that are known to activate the liver enzymes responsible for expelling toxins from the body. Another lies in the presence of both allicin and selenium, two important nutrients that play an integral role in the protection of the liver from damage.

3. Turmeric

Turmeric can uniquely assist the enzymes that are responsible for flushing out known dietary carcinogens. The result is enhanced protection against liver damage, and even regeneration of affected liver cells. Turmeric is also notably responsible for improving the health of the gallbladder as well. These benefits are in addition to the shocking ability to turmeric to combat cancer in a number of studies. Researchers at the UCLA also found that curcumin — the ‘key’ compound within turmeric — exhibits cancer-blocking properties. The lab found that the enzymes in the patients’ mouths responsible for promoting cancer spread and growth were inhibited by curcumin supplementation. The ingestion of curcumin intake even blocked the spread of the malignant cells.

4. Lemon and Lime

While not exactly one of the liver cleansing foods, warm water with lemon or lime each morning could be one of the simplest and most advantageous methods of improving the health of your liver. High in vitamin C and potassium, lemons can help regulate biological functions. Some experts, such as A.F. Beddoe — who wrote the book Biological Ionization as Applied to Human Nutrition, have also stated that the liver produces more enzymes in response to water with lemon than to any other food.

Explore More:

1. Livatrex Liver and Gallbladder Cleanse Review
    2. Cancer Fighting Foods – 4 Anti-Cancer Foods
    3. Natural Cancer-Fighting Spice Reduces Tumors by 81%
    4. Turmeric Among Natural Cures for Sinus Infection
    5. Vitamin E Shown to Fight Type of Fatty Liver Disease in Children
    6. Turmeric for Acne | Natural Alternatives
    FAKE "ELECTIONS" - Why Ron Paul Can't "Win"

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PatColo For This Useful Post:

hoarder (31st December 2013),k-os (19th September 2012)

beefsteak

Was it you, PatColo who posted last week a native Indian "healer" video who advised about needing to use 6:1 coriander to tumeric to compensate for the overheating of the liver that has just been asked to process the tumeric by itself when found in food? He stated that coriander was the required "cooler" that offset the
    heat generating property of tumeric in the liver which could damage the liver.

Wish I could find that again...it was about 8 minutes long if I recall, and was only the one male speaker.

There was another "item" that should be consumed" at the same time as coriander and tumeric. THAT WOULD BE FENNEL, also 6:1 tumeric ratio.

I do know that he did NOT mention any black pepper consumption with tumeric which I've read is highly recommended elsewhere. Mercola perhaps?
    Last edited by beefsteak; 22nd September 2012 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Edit and REPAIRED incorrect ratios to proper levels in #10 posted video

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beefsteak For This Useful Post:

PatColo (19th September 2012)

Thanks

Cool, PatColo, all I need to do is add some tumeric to my guacamole, and I've got a perfect liver cleanse recipe.
    The more you live, the less you will die. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ If you want to be somebody else, change your mind.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to k-os For This Useful Post:

PatColo (19th September 2012)

Thanks

beef: it appears you're describing reply #10 in this thread, scroll up!

"If telling the truth marginalizes you, then that is the place to be. After all, if enough people are willing to be marginalized, then before you know it, society has developed a different center. This is the politics of truth." -- E. Martin Schotz

Thanks

linked in "Explore More" in my reply #11, guess what spice the title meant? also see further links below,

Natural Cancer-Fighting Spice Reduces Tumors by 81%

Tweet

Anthony Gucciardi
    NaturalSociety
    September 20, 2011
    Used in the ancient Chinese and Indian systems of medicine, curcumin is a naturally powerful anticancer compound that has been found to decrease brain tumor size in animals by 81 percent in more than 9 studies. A derivative of turmeric, curcumin is the pigment responsible for turmeric’s yellow-orange color. Each 100 grams of turmeric contains around 3 to 5 grams of curcumin, though turmeric is a also very powerful on its own. New studies are shedding light on curcumin, and illuminating its numerous benefits on cancer and other diseases.

Researchers experimenting with curcumin in the treatment of a fatal brain cancer known as glioblastoma (GBMs) published their groundbreaking findings in the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry in July. Adding scientific basis to previous findings surrounding the positive effects of curcumin, they showed that the compound dramatically decreased brain tumors in 9 out of the 11 studies examined by 81 percent. Furthermore, there was no evidence of toxicity, whereas chemotherapy and other cancer treatments often result in extreme side effects that are sometimes worse than the actual disease. Curcumin is not only effective against brain cancer, however.

According to a study conducted in 2008 and published in Cancer Prevention Research, curcumin also inhibits the growth and spread of breast cancer cells by directly impacting the function of alpha6beta4 integrin, responsible for cancer progression. Another study, performed in 2010, found that curcumin also has the potential to target cancer stem cells. Following the wave of information of curcumin, researchers who posted their findings in Molecular Pharmacology classified curcumin as a pancreatic cancer cell inhibitor back in 2009. Even more interesting is the fact that in most of these studies the researchers concluded that curcumin may also aid many different types of cancer that were not included in the trials.

While an amazing anticancer substance, studies have also pinpointed curcumin as a tool against more than 572 other diseases. Some of these include, in order of study count: oxidative stress, inflammation, DNA damage, lipid peroxidation, chemically-induced liver disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and liver fibrosis. Curcumin has even been found to influence more than 700 genes, which could explain its link to DNA repair.

Curcumin is an amazing natural compound that has profound effects on cancer and hundreds of other diseases. While it has been widely studied compared to many other nutritional substances, studies are only beginning to recognize the healing effects of curcumin and turmeric.

Sources:
    GreenMedInfo Turmeric Resource Page
    GreenMedInfo Curcumin Resource Page
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21775121
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed/20089354

Explore More:

1. Turmeric Spice Used by Woman to Overcome Cancer – Researchers Stunned
    2. Turmeric Offers Powerful Anti-Cancer Benefits Without Side Effects
    3. Cancer Fighting Foods – 4 Anti-Cancer Foods
    4. Beating Cancer with Nutrition – Turmeric Slows Spread of Breast Cancer
    5. Turmeric, Curcumin Naturally Block Cancer Growth
    6. Turmeric’s Powerful Life-Promoting Properties Put Pharmaceuticals to Shame

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PatColo For This Useful Post:

MAGNES (25th September 2012)

Old Herb Lady

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by beefsteak View Post
    Read somewhere, Dr. Andrew Weil maybe ? ? ?, that tumeric needs to be consumed along with pepper, to unlock maximum absorption/healing properties.

I don't understand how it can be helpful to detoxifying the liver, but not if one has bile obstruction. Perhaps a medical type could weigh in? The liver doesn't make bile, the gallbladder does. But if one has cirrhosis, does this mean that consuming tumeric isn't a good idea for them to incorporate this spice?

Because the tumeric is going to help generate bile production and if you take it it's going to cause you more problems & more obstruction than you had before you started.

Also, I know I've said this so many times before & I'm repeating myself , but it's worth saying it again......

No one should ever do a liver or gall bladder cleanse unless they have an open bowel.
    What that means is you ALWAYS do a bowel cleanse FIRST before ever doing a liver or gall bladder cleanse.
    NO constipation at all, meaning moving the bowels 2 to 3 times a day for at least 3 days in a row.....
    then you can proceed to the liver/gall bladder....if not the toxins and junk coming out of the liver & gallbladder
    need to be able to eliminate or else you will make yourself very sick & be in alot of pain.

beefsteak

guess I wasn't clear. I have a friend who has been diagnosed with primarily biliary cirrhosis in his 70s after a post operative workup after coronary bypass (3) were created. He'd like to add tumeric to his diet and asked me what I knew about using it with all the liver warnings he'd seen.

So, if I understand what I've read on the net, non-alcoholic cirrhosis means his bile ducts are major closed down, destroyed or something not good.

How do I answer him about incorporating tumeric into his diet when he has what I referred to up above as bile obstruction in his liver?

Clearer now?

Old Herb Lady

Clearer yes, but it's still the same answer....bowel flush first...then move onto the liver and gall bladder.

Tumeric isn't what he needs.

Try this link...go to the book that says 5 day bowel flush and read it ...that's what I would do if it were me (I'd buy that stuff & use it ! )
    then go to the other book that says 5 day liver flush (I'd buy that stuff & use it ! )

https://herbdocblog.com/books-dvds/

beefsteak

Ok, I see we are still not communicating, and again it is my fault.

Cirrhotic liver has scarred shut bile ducts, according to his biopsy pictures given to him by his doctor from the lab after that procedure. He's shown them to me.

A liver cleanse of an impaired liver whose bile ducts are scarred shut sounds dangerous to him, and so does using tumeric.

Now is your answer the same? If the ductwork is shut/obstructed, how does the liver flush the toxins out in your proposed liver cleanse? Doesn't that put a tremendous extra load on the remaining open bile ducts? I'm certain he doesn't want to lose anymore bile ducts due to flushing toxins en masse' that are already scarred shut and non-functioning.

Still same response?

Old Herb Lady

SCARRED SHUT biliary tract is definitely not what you said. Good God that poor man. Is he real jaundice ?

So your question is how does one get rid of scar tissue that is causing bile duct obstruction ?

Just so that I understand clearly what you are saying.

He has something very, very dangerous and
    I thought you meant he was blocked up/obstructed by/with gallstones !!!
    How sick is he ??

I hope he's on a really really good diet ! I feel so bad for him !